battery woes - ??gell cell??

Guest brianash

Guest brianash

recently, i noticed that on my '00 V11S, the 'sealed' battery had leaked some acid, which corroded the battery holder somewhat. have any of you installed a gell-cell battery that is intended to be mounted on its side? i talked to a guzzi dealer, and he said that the battery from the factory isn't actually intended to be mounted on its side. guzzi only warrantees the battery for 6 months, and the bike is a year old (older model bought new in 2002).

Gel batterys can be mounted in any position, only not upside down. Leaking has not ting to do with the position, it should be completetly closed.

But you have an ITALIAN gel battery, best you cn do is buy a yuasha ytx9bs, smaller and stronger, the same one I have for 9 years in my daytona, on it's side!

I am pretty sure it is the same with the battery in my Centauro.

Hawker Genesis G13EP part number 0770-2007

See details at http://www.hepi.com/genprod.htm

I bought mine at ebay two months ago and the pictures are surpisingly still posted at http://ebay1.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_0...90a6702/i-1.JPG

and

http://ebay1.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_0...90a6702/i-2.JPG

I understand that the Hawker batteries are not gel but matt absorbsion. Gel batteries are more suitable in continous power consumption applications like a golf cart. Matt absorbsion are better for a fast discharge like the power needed to start the bike.

It says at the site that they can be fitted any way and that they are completely sealed. Therefore something is very wrong for the battery to spill its guts.

Best

O ====== = = = = =

// > ===== ==== === = = = =

[+] < [+] ====== ==== == = = = = =

Nickos Costopoulos - Athens, Greece

1986 K100RS - 1996 Centauro V10 (Auntie and Eva)

http://flyingbrick.freeyellow.com

Guest brianash

Guzzi says that the battery is only covered under warranty for 6 months, and the bike is a year old, so they won't replace it... I am going to check the bike to see if it is overcharging or something... what voltage should i be getting with the bike running? is there anything else that i should check? If i can show that it is because the bike is overcharging, i am sure that they will replace the battery, as well as fix the overcharging problem... i would hate to put in a new battery only to have that one get messed up too... this one didn't spill all of its acid, it just seeped some. i don't notice any cracks, or anything... it just kind of came out of the seam on the top.

what voltage should i be getting with the bike running? is there anything else that i should check?

14.0-14.6 is what the regulator tries to maintain.

I believe it is normal for the voltage to drop below 14 Volts at idle.

Higher voltages then 14.6 may indicate a tendency to cook wires and batteries.

Be sure that you have an accurate voltmeter, mine reads about two volts high...time to get another one...

Battery voltage after sitting overnight should be 12.6V (key off), after a failed start the voltage should be a little less, and after riding, the voltage will be a little higher.

I think my regulator has been acting up lately, so I'll be doing some diagnosis myself this weekend.

• 9 years later...
what voltage should i be getting with the bike running? is there anything else that i should check?

14.0-14.6 is what the regulator tries to maintain.

I believe it is normal for the voltage to drop below 14 Volts at idle.

Higher voltages then 14.6 may indicate a tendency to cook wires and batteries.

Be sure that you have an accurate voltmeter, mine reads about two volts high...time to get another one...

Battery voltage after sitting overnight should be 12.6V (key off), after a failed start the voltage should be a little less, and after riding, the voltage will be a little higher.

I think my regulator has been acting up lately, so I'll be doing some diagnosis myself this weekend.

To check the voltage do you put probes from meter on + ve & - ve posts on battery when bike is going and when not?

What setting does meter go on?

I just put a MotoBatt battery on RM. Previous MG one lasted 5 years.

Hooked a battery CTEK tender up to it as well.

Noticed tender went to 2 lights after a 100 k ride. 3 hours later was up to 5 out of 6.

Does this sound right?

To check the voltage do you put probes from meter on + ve & - ve posts on battery when bike is going and when not?

Noticed tender went to 2 lights after a 100 k ride. 3 hours later was up to 5 out of 6.

Does this sound right?

I'm not sure what the light system means on your charger. Do you have a digital volt meter?

Set for 20 Volts DC. Check static (after sitting). Turn the key on with the hi-beam headlamp for three minutes: recheck voltage. Start and check voltage at idle and at, say, 2500 or 3000 rpm. You can also watch voltage as the starter turns over.

Let's see what you get! :luigi:

• 2 weeks later...

Does this sound right?

I'm not sure what the light system means on your charger. Do you have a digital volt meter?

Set for 20 Volts DC. Check static (after sitting). Turn the key on with the hi-beam headlamp for three minutes: recheck voltage. Start and check voltage at idle and at, say, 2500 or 3000 rpm. You can also watch voltage as the starter turns over.

Finally got to checking voltage. Had to replace meter as it was reading 30v which had to be wrong

With new digital meter static is 12.8. While starting 9.8. Running at 3000 rpm 13.5

All ok?

Does this sound right?

Finally got to checking voltage. Had to replace meter as it was reading 30v which had to be wrong

With new digital meter static is 12.8. While starting 9.8. Running at 3000 rpm 13.5

All ok?

12.8 is the correct voltage for an Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) battery (12.84 vDC). It might be good if your starting voltage were up to 10.5. Good time to clean all the connections to the starter including the battery cables and tighten all these down. The starter and its solenoid can be serviced by dismantling , cleaning with electrical cleaner and using grease on the sliding parts and connections.

13.5 is certainly low for charging voltage. It could be as simple as grounding the regulator or replacing the 30 amp fuse (prone to melting). Or become more a problem with the regulator or the yellow wires that break coming from the stator. Kiwi Roy has done some great posting on all of this and this problem can be fixed.

Sorry, I got a bit confused, the thread started and died in 2003 I guess Cash1000 owns it now

As Docc says 13.5 is low for 3000 revs, try adding a short ground strap between the regulator case and a timing cover screw, see if that does anything.

(scrape the case and put a little grease on the joint to stop it corroding)

Do you have after market headlight relays, these can cause a drop in voltage.

You must be into riding season down there now eh!

Roy