Fuel tank hose connectors

droydx

My 03 Rosso Corsa had a bad case of "tank suck" so I decided to go in and find the one way valve, and while at it to remove the carbon cannister and associated hoses. It was simple enough to do.....the valve had been installed backward :doh: at the factory. I can't believe that the bike ran as well as it did with all that vaccuum.

At any rate, I could not figure out the assembly of the weird (Aprillia?) fuel hose connectors to remove the fuel tank. They are kind of cheapy looking plastic connectors that appear to snap on, but I couldn't figure how to disconnect them. My prying did nothing.....seemed close to breaking the things. :huh2: What's the story on these critters? :luigi:

Droydx,

With a cold engine, place a shop towel under the fittings. A shop towel around the fitting might also be helpful just incase there is pressure in the fuel system. Watch out for fuel spray (meaning your eyes). Push inward (toward fuel tank) on the hose being removed and while holding the inward pressure, now push the gray retainer toward the hose. You will not see any movement of the hose going toward the tank or the gray coupler moving toward the hose. Just pull the hose and coupler off. Give it a try and let me know :bier:

My 03 Rosso had a bad case of tank suck and I also ended up taking the tip over valve. I also thought the valve was in backwards but I am not sure. Just a small amount of vacuum will shut the valve and cause the tank suck syndrome. :not:

Mike

• Like 1

I wrestled with those things in my 2003 tank retrofit thread, and after many suggestions, below is the method that worked, and consistently works for me.

I find that grabbing the hose, pulling it AWAY from the elbow, while with my other hand simultaneously pulling/pushing the gray collar AWAY from the elbow along with pulling the hose/fitting.

It also seems to help to lubricate the fitting with WD-40 if perhaps it hasn't been removed in a long time.

As Mike points out, surround the area under the fittings with a shop rag, as even though these are quick-disconnect fittings, they ARE NOT SELF SEALING , and the EFI loop will still be around 45psi, so it will squirt/leak fuel when you disconnect them.

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

fittings_what_worked.jpg

Mike,

Thanks, I thought there was some trick to it. :thumbsup: I take it that there is a ball that shuts off fuel when the tank hose connectors are removed? The tipover valve was definitely installed wrong way....I did the suck blow :wacko: thing and no way was it gonna let air in the way it was installed. I had to dial my idle up some after messing around, maybe the cables got slightly moved, other wise all else is normal. What a great bike....man I'm enjoying this thing!!! :mg:

P.S.

Be glad that MG didn't use the same disconnects that Triumph has used on all it's EFI bikes since about 1997. ALL of those bikes, to present, have been recalled to replace their plastic fuel disconnects, which regularly break in half after a few tank removals :huh:

See MG isn't that bad ;)

http://t595.net/messageboard/thread.asp?thread=14821

Al,

Thanks too, I must've been typing while you were. Hope to meet up with you and Mike on the road some day soon.

Andy DiMizio

aka

Guest Brian Robson

Triumph may well have some problem with cack handed individuals and the quick release fitting, but it may have been more of a case of people not used to a newer type of fitting on a bike.

I owned 3 EFI Triumphs and only needed 3 O-rings in about 150,000 Km, and that was my fault. I would rather have those fittings than the archaic jubilee clips on the Guzzi.

Just in a defensive mode :bier::bier: