Spark plug gap

richard100t

I was wondering (since I'm no mechanic) Is there a relationship between what the plugs should be gapped at when the valves are set on the loose side or on the tight side, or whatever your preference. I havent been able to find a thread for what the actual plug gap should be yet. My Goose is running pretty good lately...I just like to fine tune it & generally screw around. I just turned over 5000 miles friday, from only 300 this February. Been getting good gas mileage too I suppose, 120 miles on 3.2 gallons of fuel, 37.5 mpg. Still need to get that fork oil changed too :luigi: Btw what is the deal with those plug wires coming loose from the plug connector? I know I'm not the only one either :angry: It seems almost like thats how they make them. I just slide the wire back in the connector & it seems to run fine, but I dont trust it <_>

Guest Nogbad

The Guzzi owners manual says something about reduced engine life if the plug gap is too small...

I can't for the life of me work out how they get to that!

The sparkplug gap pays no attention to the valve specs. It has to do with compression ratio and how much the ignition coils can put out. Stick with the factory spec. of .028 (twentyeight thou.).

Mike

quote=Mike Stewart,Jul 4 2005, 09:15 PM]

The sparkplug gap pays no attention to the valve specs. It has to do with compression ratio and how much the ignition coils can put out. Stick with the factory spec. of .028 (twentyeight thou.).

Mike

55554[/snapback]

That was something I thought about while I was checking my plugs. I wasnt sure if one had anything to do with the other. Thanx for the answer Mike :D