Carbon Canister

Guest GOOTSZ

I have a 2004 V11 and would like to remove the Carbon Canister, plug the throttle body holes, and vent tank out to the bottom of the bike.

Has anybody done this or have any thoughts? :)

I have a 2004 V11 and would like to remove the Carbon Canister, plug the throttle body holes, and vent tank out to the bottom of the bike.

Has anybody done this or have any thoughts? :)

almost everyone has done just this. Well worth it from what I understand and clears up a lot of clutter :thumbsup:

I took 5 pounds off the Sport doing this. Since then I have gained 10 pounds probably from too much good single malt Scotch :drink: so I'm not pretending there are any real performance gains.

Yet, my bike ran better right away having lost an annoying off idle pop pulling away from a stop. The experts disagree ,but I don't think my Sport liked it's intakes linked together with a vacuum line.

Also, there is a 'tip-over valve' in the connection to the tank. They are known to foul and cause the tank to draw a vacuum making the paint very unhappy and , perhaps, impeding fuel flow. Losing the tip-over valve will allow fuel to flow out the line in some tip-over cases and, still, many have taken the risk for the percieved benefits.

Welcome to the forum. It is the best anywhere! :bier:

They are great to take off and leave on garage floor...then tell the gandkids not to touch...harmless, but fun. :o k

Sorry but I'm lost here :huh2: What is the carbon cannister and the other stuff you guys are talking about removing?

It's on california models and post 03's * emmision contol gubbins.

based on fact thatr it's not fitted to mine :D

So probably not fitted to yours :thumbsup:

Sorry but I'm lost here :huh2: What is the carbon cannister and the other stuff you guys are talking about removing?

I believe all the USA models have this apparatus. It is a cannister ( or two) full of charcoal with vacuum lines from the two intake manifolds and a line to the underside of the gas tank to filter fuel vapor for a cleaner atmosphere. The line under the tank is fitted with a one valve which closes if not vertical.

Early Sports wre mounted in the tool tray with 20 feet (!) of 3/8" fuel line for plumbing. Lter models, I believe, are mounted in front of the rear tire below the swingarm.

What's this cr@p for?

As others have stated, it's for emissions control, in this case, fuel vapors. The idea behind it's operation is that vehicle (motorcycle) parked in sun develops considerable vapor pressure in the fuel tank; this vapor is bled thru the can of charcoal granules, where it is adsorbed [that is not a misspelling, it is the correct descriptive term for the collection of a gas by a solid, FWIW.] When the engine is running, the far end of the line (which is routed to the airbox) then has enough vacuum [supposedly] to then pull more air thru the charcoal bed, which gives off it's hydrocarbon fumes to be burnt in the engine.

Why bother w/ all this bovine excreta?

It has been determined that hydrocarbon vapor is a major precursor to photochemical smog [the "brown layer" seen so often in So.Cal. skies & other urban areas.] Since motorcycles contribute so significantly [not!] to this due to their huge numbers [bwaaa-HAHAHAHA!], it was seen fit to require the fitting of such devices to new models sold here after 1982? [sometime in the dim past for Californians; only recently for residents of other areas...] The plain fact of the matter is that shutting down/putting better scrubbers on just ONE dry-cleaning facility reduces a more significant percentage of photochemical smog than all the bikes sold in one year produce from their fuel vapor, but the businesses pay more taxes/b!tch louder/have better lobbyists than a measly bunch of bikers... Anyway, photochemical smog has formaldehyde in it, which is bad for the lungs, so I don't mind leaving any such cannisters in place until the 1st time they get in the way for mechanical needs; this may mean leaving them in place of the lifetime of the bike. Or not. At least here in CA they don't have biennial inspections for bikes the way they do for cars [altho' that may come sooner than later, if people keep going around talking about ripping all the smog controls off their bike as soon as they get it registered the 1st time...] :glare:

Ride on!

:bike:

• 12 years later...
47 minutes ago, SPRUCEGOOSE said:

Hi all,

jumping in to an ancient thread here, but I realized my Jackal has the line and valves coming from the tank without the canisters. Seeing that it is serving no purpose, can I just remove the line and plug the hole?

Better to leave the tank vent open to atmosphere. Make sure the vacuum taps on the intakes are tightly capped or plugged, though.

On V11 Sport, the inline one-way valve has been known to disorient, lock off the tank vent and cause "tank suck" (vacuum in the locked off tank that produces a swoooooosh when the cap is opened.)

• Like 1

Like Docc said.  Be sure you know what you are plugging. One line from the tank is draining rainwater and/or gas overflow. Another is to let air back in the tank as the fuel is used. I wouldn't want to accidentally plug either of those.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, docc said:

Better to leave the tank vent open to atmosphere. Make sure the vacuum taps on the intakes are tightly capped or plugged, though.

On V11 Sport, the inline one-way valve has been known to disorient, lock off the tank vent and cause "tank suck" (vacuum in the locked off tank that produces a swoooooosh when the cap is opened.)

18 hours ago, Scud said:

Like Docc said.  Be sure you know what you are plugging. One line from the tank is draining rainwater and/or gas overflow. Another is to let air back in the tank as the fuel is used. I wouldn't want to accidentally plug either of those.

18 hours ago, docc said:

Not that I know jack about Jackals . . . :unsure:

Thanks Scud and Docc! 

I’ll keep a short section of hose there to vent it. My overfill line is connected. It’s a small line running under the middle of the tank. I Learned that it was working great when I filled the tank in the center stand and parked it later, haha. 

Just curious, why wouldn’t the overfill line also vent the tank?

6 minutes ago, SPRUCEGOOSE said:

Just curious, why wouldn’t the overfill line also vent the tank?

Vent comes through the cap, overflow from above the cap seal.