Carbon Canister

Guest GOOTSZ

The charcoal canister on my 02 lemans is the one mounted just forward of the rear wheel.  On other bikes I’ve usually removed these, and un-cluttered things a bit, and I’m inclined to do it now as well.  But on the Leman’s it looks as though the bracket for the canister is welded, and if panning-out a bit to a part that could be removed, it seems to be the same bracket that the exhaust mounts to under bike.  That’s just a once-over inspection... am i missing something?  I assume I want to keep the exhaust mount in place, and in truth the canister is not nearly as ugly in its location on the lemans as it is on other bikes where it’s mounted as a true eye-sore, so I’m deliberating whether or not to remove it. 

If it keep it, then I suppose why not leave it also hooked up with at least the fuel tank line, as designed, as there’s the small advantage usually of eliminating fuel vapor smell on hot days if the canister is in place (or at least that’s how its been for my other bikes where I’ve removed the canister... all fine, but more fuel vapor smell after a top-off on hot day).  But if i can get rid of that whole apparatus forward of the rear tire, while keeping the exhaust mount, that’s what I’d prefer.  Looking for input on whether I’m not seeing something that i should be on that setup.... for those that remove the canister, are you just removing the canister and lines but leaving the metal framework/bracket in place?

it’ll be my default intention to T the two leads coming from the tank (vent and overflow) to one single line, to the ground.  Then may leave the throttle body lines connected to the canister.  But would love thoughts, especially in regard to whether the throttle body lines should be removed for some advantage other than clutter.