What is it?

Guest J.R.

I was under my Red/Gray yesterday,contemplating some crazy idea,when I notice this canister and bracket under the transmision.It has hoses entering it and what looks like a vent hose.What does it do,and can I get rid of it?

J.R. in N.C.

Thanks,I stopped by my dealer and he said the same thing.Even showed me which hoses to link back together.I'm not thinking wstorsge here,maybe a one-off home made muffler system ala Gezzi/Brian. <_

It's the vapor-recovery charcoal cannister. Hey, just be grateful that Aprilia/Guzzi relocated it from under the seat(in the tool tray on 2000 V11s) to the new space above the exhaust cross-over :P

But, yep... that was on my bike for almost exactly 48 hours :lol:

I have removed them from just about any bike I've ever had, but honestly for me it was just to simplify all the morass of hoses and tangle. Just more places for vacuum leaks. But, removing the cannister doesn't do anything for performance in any way, except maybe saving a couple pounds/kilos.

Once you remove the cannister, you can either do what I did, just cap off the vacuum nipples on the intakes, or just run a "balance" hose between them. No difference either way.

I did think it was pretty ugly hanging under there though... so that's a benefit in my eyes!

al

Guest jimjib

How about some pics of the procedure...we could have a nice little forum full of how to's if we took the time to do it.