GAS TANK REMOVAL

Guest DOUGDANGER

Guest DOUGDANGER

Need a little help. Can some one post some diagrams or instructions on how to release the fuels line on a 2004 V11? Can't figure out how to release the fittings at the tank. Where's my hacksaw. :luigi:

Thanks Doug

Here's what I did:

- close petcock, loosen hose clamp and remove fuel line

- attach a drain line to the petcock and drain gas into gas can

- close petcock and remove drain line

- remove line from pressure regulator on other side of tank

- remove seat

- remove tank bolt

- lift back of tank and prop it up so you have enough room to reach under it

- pull 2 vent lines off from under the tank

- slide tank back and lift

Need a little help. Can some one post some diagrams or instructions on how to release the fuels line on a 2004 V11? Can't figure out how to release the fittings at the tank. Where's my hacksaw. :luigi:

Thanks Doug

Yes they are bugger and are different fittings to earlier machines. I had to take off my tank on Sunday and had forgotten what I did the year before but it came back eventually after some head scratching.

Basically push the grey plastic ring in your left hand towards the front of the bike, whilst holding the fuel hose in your right hand and pushing towards the back of the bike.

The hose then simply pops off- once you have figured it it seems so easy but very frustrating while you are figuring it out!

Guy :helmet:

Guest DOUGDANGER

Yes they are bugger and are different fittings to earlier machines. I had to take off my tank on Sunday and had forgotten what I did the year before but it came back eventually after some head scratching.

Basically push the grey plastic ring in your left hand towards the front of the bike, whilst holding the fuel hose in your right hand and pushing towards the back of the bike.

The hose then simply pops off- once you have figured it it seems so easy but very frustrating while you are figuring it out!

Guy :helmet:

Still no luck :doh:

Guest ratchethack

Still no luck :doh:

I don't blame you, Doug. I gave up on getting the "quick release" gizmo's on my Pal's '04 LM to let go, out o' fear of using enough force to break them. :huh2: My Pal wouldn't do it either. The solution? I get to ride over and hold his tank while he services gas and air filters. :homer:

Several folks here and elsewhere have had much better results with the following equivalent quick-disconnect sets from Bayerische Motoren Werks. Not too horribly expensive at $18.40 and $14.95 ea. and in dealer stock locally hereabouts, I presume likely the same in MASS:

1 331 7659 120

1 331 7659 119

Good luck. :luigi:

Guest DOUGDANGER

I don't blame you, Doug. I gave up on getting the "quick release" gizmo's on my Pal's '04 LM to let go, out o' fear of using enough force to break them. :huh2: My Pal wouldn't do it either. The solution? I get to ride over and hold his tank while he services gas and air filters. :homer:

Several folks here and elsewhere have had much better results with the following equivalent quick-disconnect sets from Bayerische Motoren Werks. Not too horribly expensive at $18.40 and $14.95 ea. and in dealer stock locally hereabouts, I presume likely the same in MASS:

1 331 7659 120

1 331 7659 119

Good luck. :luigi:

Where is BMW that you reconmended, and do they have a web page?

Thanks

Guest ratchethack

Where is BMW that you reconmended, and do they have a web page?

Thanks

I called my local BMW dealer for price. I was assured they always have stock, as they're a relatively popular item. Surely (I ain't callin' you Shirley! ;) ) you've got a dealer within reasonable riding distance, or at least closer than 3000 miles? :huh2:

On my 2004 Cafe Sport, the fuel vent line was clamped on with a crimp clamp. I finally gave up trying to clip the clamp off,. I cut the hose down below the intake horns and above the throttle body where I could put it back together with a pair of hose clamps and a brass connector, and it wouldn't show once the tank was back on.

I had taken the tank off to tie the vent valve in the vertical position to prevent the "tank suck". If you haven't done this yet, it's a good idea while you have the tank off.

Guest DOUGDANGER

On my 2004 Cafe Sport, the fuel vent line was clamped on with a crimp clamp. I finally gave up trying to clip the clamp off,. I cut the hose down below the intake horns and above the throttle body where I could put it back together with a pair of hose clamps and a brass connector, and it wouldn't show once the tank was back on.

I had taken the tank off to tie the vent valve in the vertical position to prevent the "tank suck". If you haven't done this yet, it's a good idea while you have the tank off.

2004 No hose clamps

Doug:

First, be careful. If you break the male fittings off the pump, you'll have to get a new pump because the fittings are not replaceable separately.

So, the first time, be prepared for it to take 15 minutes to get the first one off. Be prepared to be patient and tey to "feel" for the release, or go do something else until patience returns.

Then, grab the fuel line and push it toward the fitting. Push pretty firmly. Then, while still pushing the fuel line toward the fitting, grab the movable ring of the female fitting and wiggle it fore and back to make sure it moves freely. It doesn't move much, so that's where the feel comes in. Once you can feel it moving, pull the ring backwar toward the hand that is grasping the fuel line. If all is well, you'll feel the faintest release. Pull back with the ring hand and the line hand simultaneaously, keeping the tension. The femal fitting should pull backward off the male fitting. After you've done it a dozen times. it take 3 seconds each.

Guest DOUGDANGER

I called my local BMW dealer for price. I was assured they always have stock, as they're a relatively popular item. Surely (I ain't callin' you Shirley! ;) ) you've got a dealer within reasonable riding distance, or at least closer than 3000 miles? :huh2:

This is the BMW I'm looking for Bayerische Motoren Werks.

Guest ratchethack

This is the BMW I'm looking for Bayerische Motoren Werks.

Sorry for any confusion.

In German, BMW = Bayerische Motoren Werke AG. ;)

FWIW, here's the dealer where I found the parts in local stock:

BMW MOTORCYCLES OF NORTH COUNTY

http://www.bmwmcnc.com/dealership/parts.htm

NOTE: Though my several brief encounters with the above have been entirely satisfactory, the author of this post disavows any responsibility for promoting BMW or BMW parts. Anyone who would place their reliance on a motorcycle dealership parts counter as sparkling clean (nay - Teutonically antiseptic?) as the one in the photo at the link above is urged to take all due precaution as may be appropriate, and caveat emptor . :whistle: There will be, after all, entirely different, even conflicting interpretations by many long-time riders over the use of the term, "discerning" as used on the site at the link above. :P:thumbsup:

Doug,

Those quick connects are a pain, try putting pressure (slight) toward the tank while moving the plastic ring...it should come apart, it does take some force and all the while you think your gonna breake um! One of the fittings was broken by the previous owner on my Rosso and I ended up removing the quick connects with the use of some brass barbed ends and high pressure fuel clamps. Now just the old skool srewdriver removes the fuel lines. It was a last ditch fix that worked quite well and looks fine, as Greg said if the end going into the tank breakes other than a new pump housing unit (which by the way is made from an Italian company which makes auto tractor etc fuel sending units) your out of luck and will have to do what I did. Good luck, let me know how you made out.

waspp

Guest DOUGDANGER

Sorry for any confusion.

In German, BMW = Bayerische Motoren Werke AG. ;)

FWIW, here's the dealer where I found the parts in local stock:

BMW MOTORCYCLES OF NORTH COUNTY

http://www.bmwmcnc.com/dealership/parts.htm

NOTE: Though my several brief encounters with the above have been entirely satisfactory, the author of this post disavows any responsibility for promoting BMW or BMW parts. Anyone who would place their reliance on a motorcycle dealership parts counter as sparkling clean (nay - Teutonically antiseptic?) as the one in the photo at the link above is urged to take all due precaution as may be appropriate, and caveat emptor . :whistle: There will be, after all, entirely different, even conflicting interpretations by many long-time riders over the use of the term, "discerning" as used on the site at the link above. :P:thumbsup:

THANKS DOUGD.