GAS TANK REMOVAL

Guest DOUGDANGER

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DOUGDANGER

Is the fitting on your tank a simple barb type? You may want to consider using a clamp on the fuel vent so it doesn't slip off when putting the tank back on and tying the vent valve vertical.

Thanks guys, I got it pretty easy once you get the hang of it. :drink:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

fuel_line.JPG

I also have problems with those clamps. There is also some fuel in the tank and i am working in the livingroom. I am afraid I might brake them and also my mom killing me.

DSC00405.JPG

When looking at the fuel system, I've noticed that the fuel line is very close to the cylinder head, almost touching it. Is that a problem?

Almost forgot to ask, when the fuel hose is disconnected, is the fuel supply closed. (before I spill gasoline all over the place :vomit:

Because this is a pressurized(pumped) system, and your connectors are directly off the pump, you will only see a little fuel come out of the lines heading to the injector loop. But the tank will not "drain" and as such there is no petcock to shut off.

With the 2003+ "in tank" fuel pump bikes, the vapor lock demon seemed to have been remedied, so your fuel line being close to the head isn't likely a "problem". But I tend to be pretty conservative when it comes to fuel+heat, so if it were me I'd try to re-route the line just a bit so that it at least doesn't get damaged from rubbing the head. If you are really worried about heat, you can buy some inexpensive heat reflective tubing from your local "hot rod" shop and put that around the lines.

If you do a search of the forum I have a photo or two posted showing how to remove the quick-connections from a couple years back.

I remember when I first retrofitted the 2003 tank, I too was nearly exasperated with those connections, and almost replaced them.

But once you've taken them off a few times, they are really easy to use. It really is "technique".... well, and it is true that if they haven't been removed in a long while, they are a little more reticent to let go <_>

Al

• 3 weeks later...

Since last month I also had to remove the tank, thanks everybody--gstallons, v11cafe, Ryland, Skeeve for the tank removal tips. It was pretty easy--tank empty, the only fuel left was in the lines. I also ended up not having to cut any hose. The tricky part was removing the Clic clamp from the hose that connects the tank with the tipover valve. Since I didn't have the special Clic pliers to remove it, I had to pry it open carefully with a screwdriver and a 90º pick. Actually I'm thinking of getting the pliers for future similar jobs--I found some very cheap ones online. Technically, if removed with the special pliers, the clamps can be reused, though I wouldn't venture doing that.

As far as replacing the clamp, Micha from Moto Int. (who also warned me about the orientation of the tipover valve), steered me away from the Oetiker clamps I was planning to use. He told me instead to get fuel injection clamps, which I got from Shucks.

Anyway, since the subject of the tank removal keeps coming up with relative frequency, and given that I took plenty of pics, maybe Ryland could help with pinning a "Tank Removal for Dummies" in the FAQ--version inner tank fuel pump. I could compile the story and include the pictures.

• 11 years later...
On 4/17/2008 at 6:20 PM, al_roethlisberger said:

Here are the threads with the pics:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...;hl=disconnects

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...;hl=disconnects

... saved you a few key-strokes :D

Al

Al, Thank you so much for taking the time to post these links showing how to Pull the fuel line,,,then Pull the grey female cover on the connector to get it to disconnect and release.

I read about guys on here struggling with the quick release fuel connector,,, but I had done that frustrating dance on my California Vintage for hours until I luckily found a video on youtube showing how to push, then squeeze and wiggle, it was easy once I learned the technique, I thought my V11 was the same style and would be easy,,,,, aarrgghhh, it's completely backwards, I was getting nowhere with it.

I've got a bunch of little jobs to do and I needed the tank off,,, it wasn't happening until I found your post.

thank you for saving me hours of frustration

Kelly

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, 80CX100 said:

Al, Thank you so much for taking the time to post these links showing how to Pull the fuel line,,,then Pull the grey female cover on the connector to get it to disconnect and release.

I read about guys on here struggling with the quick release fuel connector,,, but I had done that frustrating dance on my California Vintage for hours until I luckily found a video on youtube showing how to push, then squeeze and wiggle, it was easy once I learned the technique, I thought my V11 was the same style and would be easy,,,,, aarrgghhh, it's completely backwards, I was getting nowhere with it.

I've got a bunch of little jobs to do and I needed the tank off,,, it wasn't happening until I found your post.

thank you for saving me hours of frustration

Kelly

Somehow I dont think Al is around now 12 years after making that post. I'm sure he appreciates the gesture though wherever he is:)

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey Phil,    Tks for the heads up.

Wherever he is now, he's got my gratitude for passing on the secret handshake for disconnecting those quick releases ;~)

With regard to the frustrating fittings. I found a you tube clip that disconnected the wiring to the fuel pump first then running the bike to remove the fuel in the line and also the pressure that would prevent or make it hard to remove the fittings. Once this was completed the fittings came apart easily.

Might work...but I need to disconnect with the motor unable to run due to other maintenance ......

13 minutes ago, NicoNZ said:

With regard to the frustrating fittings. I found a you tube clip that disconnected the wiring to the fuel pump first then running the bike to remove the fuel in the line and also the pressure that would prevent or make it hard to remove the fittings. Once this was completed the fittings came apart easily.

Might work...but I need to disconnect with the motor unable to run due to other maintenance ......

Maybe you meant the fuel tap.

Ciao

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NicoNZ said:

Hey Nico,    Tks for taking the time to reply, I've read that as well about the fuel line pressure, but I've found it wasn't necessary once I learned the right technique.

For me the secret is keeping pressure on the fuel line and fitting as you work the female part of the fitting back and off; the difference is, on the newer modern guzzis, you press forward as you work the female part back, and on the V11s you pull the whole works in the opposite direction away from the fitting as you work the female part away from the fitting.

fwiw good luck

Kelly