GAS TANK REMOVAL

Guest DOUGDANGER

7 hours ago, 80CX100 said:

Hey Nico,    Tks for taking the time to reply, I've read that as well about the fuel line pressure, but I've found it wasn't necessary once I learned the right technique.

For me the secret is keeping pressure on the fuel line and fitting as you work the female part of the fitting back and off; the difference is, on the newer modern guzzis, you press forward as you work the female part back, and on the V11s you pull the whole works in the opposite direction away from the fitting as you work the female part away from the fitting.

fwiw good luck

Kelly 

Yeah I will have to give it a go as I am unable to start the bike Kelly. I guess going through this procedure may not make it easier but should prevent any gas squirting out from the pressure......my wife hates the smell of gas when she comes out to wash the clothes. Its a garage for F#.&** sake!

Cheers

Nick

1 hour ago, NicoNZ said:

No fuel tap on my bike 03 doesn't have a fuel tap??

So how is the bike going to run with the fuel pump wiring disconnected. It wont start without fuel pressure. Hmmm, ok, do you mean disconnecting the fuel pump wiring and then "cranking" the engine on the starter as opposed to "running the bike" ?

Ciao

39 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

So how is the bike going to run with the fuel pump wiring disconnected. It wont start without fuel pressure. Hmmm, ok, do you mean disconnecting the fuel pump wiring and then "cranking" the engine on the starter as opposed to "running the bike" ?

Ciao

In the video he disconnects the fuel pump wiring and the bike still starts and runs until the fuel in the lines runs out. 

1 hour ago, NicoNZ said:

In the video he disconnects the fuel pump wiring and the bike still starts and runs until the fuel in the lines runs out. 

Ok, thats a surprise. It must have some residual pressure in the lines as it only runs for a few seconds. I wonder how long after the last time the pump ran did he do this. I surprised the system holds pressure for any time at all after the pump shuts off. The pump would need a check valve in it to achieve that. I can see how dumping the line pressure would assist uncoupling the fittings though. Thanks.

Ciao

• Like 1

The fuel system was pressurized before the wiring was disconnected . He cranked it up and depressurized the fuel system by letting it run out of pressurized fuel , then disconnected the line .

• 2 weeks later...

Well after all the anxiety it was very easy as posted earlier by another member. Support fitting in left hand and push back hose towards fitting while fiddling with the hose collar (again with left hand. Not hard) and pushing off. It was extremely easy......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/15/2020 at 4:25 AM, Lucky Phil said:

Somehow I dont think Al is around now 12 years after making that post. I'm sure he appreciates the gesture though wherever he is:)

Ciao

.... The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.  ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hey Al,    Glad to see you back here in the flesh;

Your post may have been 12 years old, but thanks for leaving the trail of bread crumbs, it was just the right info and fix that I needed.

Tks

Kelly

• Like 1