3rd/4th South'n Spine Raid 2007/08

docc

The rumble has begun around a summer meet in the mountains. I'm somehow sure that 30 degrees F , blowing and nasty leads us to these thoughts.

Last year about ten of us met at the Best Western in Sweetwater , Tn, on Friday then looped over to the 'Tail of the Dragon' in NC. Nothing formal although we generally have dinner catered one night ( pizza delivered) and there was fly fishing in the parking lot last year. Frankly, we owe all our class to Bill Hagan showing up.

There must be warrants out in Tennessee for all the V11 (and Norge) riders from North Carolina. Maybe the statute of limitations has expired and some of them will venture over the divide.

Again, not a rallye, no trophies, no vendors, bring your own grappa.

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking over some old pictures and came across a few photos of the '06 Spine Raid. Here's the line up, at the overlook, on the Cherohala Skyway. What a great road! I hope every one can make the trip again this year.

100_0791__Custom_.jpg

I was looking over some old pictures and came across a few photos of the '06 Spine Raid. Here's the line up, at the overlook, on the Cherohala Skyway. What a great road! I hope every one can make the trip again this year.

It's inked in (how 20th century, huh? :D ) on my calendar.

Looking forward to it. [Note to self: Bring whisky as docc always bases these things in dry counties. :drink: ]

Here, btw, are my pics from the 2006 raid: http://snipurl.com/tscg

This time I'll be on the Norge. :race:

SV,

Glad to hear the road is still open across the mountain. You can ride whatever you like and only have to bring one of the acoutrements in your avatar. Since we moved the rendezvous from the Athens Super8 this has become strictly a BYO affair.

I was in mortal fear Bill would not bring his new Nor-Gey in the same vicinity as our collection of under-seat toolkits. But, hey, maybe Nor-Geys don't get exhaust rattles like those old clunky-funky V11s. B)

We can always pile on Bill's Norge and bomb down to the Athens Super8 for the usual festivities.

Otherwise, we'll have to settle for the babes on the waterfall . . .

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

BUMP!!! It is getting close!!! :bike:

Docc have you already made hotel reservations? :drink:

I am going to make reservations soon. Looks like you will have to ride with a Triumph again!!!! No I did not sell the Cafe, I will be riding that. But my son will be joining us on his Daytona 955i.

I am very busy between now and June, but if you get a ride together let me know. AL65 is calling my name!!! I have a new road to check out as well, north of Scottsboro. The SCCA does a hill climb event there every year.

Later!

David

PS - do not look at my odometer on the Guzzi, my Triumph is much more comfortable (warmer, wind protection) than the Cafe so it pulls most of the winter duty.

I'll be there, on Norge, not Ballabio, as I'm trying to keep its Pilot Powers at a virginal 800 miles in case I get off my dead rear and try to sell it. :D

Anyway, am not entirely sure where "there" is, i.e., same hotel in Sweetwater> And, duh, if so, which one was it?

Getting ready to head out on 10 May to the wildguzzi rally in SW Missouri. Hope to some who read here there.

Bill

Yes, we are drawing near to the South'n Spine Raid of 2007. :race:

I'll call the Best Western in Sweetwater TN tommorrow for a reservation.

Remember this is a dry county. There is beer and such at the local grocery but if you desire grappa, good scotch or other serious libations, be advised : BYO. :drink:

And after year one, no drunken redneck foxes are guaranteed by the (non)rallye staff. What you find on the waterfalls is your own business.

There is a good chance of seeing everything from a carbed sport to a Norr- Geyy. Even a V10. :mg:

OK, I registered. There's a Cracker Barrel next door for those trying to keep their waist size up to the American standard. :bier:

In fact, those leaving middle Tennessee should plan on meeting at the Cracker Barrel ( There's a theme here) on I65, exit 46, on Friday morning at 7 a.m. central time. That's GMT minus five for those of you flying in from Belgium or de Nederlaands. :nl:

We're a casual bunch, but wear full protective gear and expect the road to rise, fall and otherwise convolute as we make our way in and out of the Appalachian Mountains. :race::race:

Reservations have been made!!!

Docc what route will you take across TN. I have not decided if I will ride up Thursday night and meet you at the Cracker Barrel or meet you along the way on Friday.

Looking forward to a great weekend!

David

Planning on leaving the Cracker Barrel on I65, Exit 46, about 0830 and head due east on backroads through Bell Buckle and Mcminnville to TN 30 where the fun begins. We'll stay on 30 probably into Athens or just beyond before turning north to Sweetwater.

The Best Western is just west of I75 at the Sweetwater exit.

I don't know if Josh has his heads back from Mike Rich yet. :huh2:

Planning on leaving the Cracker Barrel on I65, Exit 46, about 0830 and head due east on backroads through Bell Buckle and Mcminnville to TN 30 where the fun begins. We'll stay on 30 probably into Athens or just beyond before turning north to Sweetwater.

The Best Western is just west of I75 at the Sweetwater exit.

I don't know if Josh has his heads back from Mike Rich yet. :huh2:

I'll be there.

Looking forward to it.

Frantically (my normal approach to) packing for trip out to wildguzzi rally ... getting some Italian beer and grappa ready for pre-ride party tonight. That (party) will likely slow launch in a.m. :drink:

See you in Sweetwater.

Bill