Moto Guzzi Wrist Watch project

jenslh

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest goffredo

For the project to start, I need 50 preorders.

Plenty of details on http://www.guzzitech.dk/wristwatch

What do you think ?

Hi,

count me in!!

As a professional graphic designer, I will also be delighted to be of assistance if needed.

My two cents on the proposed design:

I love the basic Junkers dial. Very simple, clear and readable. Not so sure about the red colour and the choice of the "De Tomaso Time" Logo. I would rather choose the classic Moto Guzzi eagle and logo - as seen on their racing bikes of the fifties or, why not - the extra stylized version of the Gambalunga of 1946.

Just avoid the version in the oval, far too redundand on a watch dial.

I'll go spread the news on our italian forum.

Great idea, I hope it works!

G.

Banner_Guzzi_2.jpg

Goffredo and Alex:

The design suggestions mentioned above are truely magnificent, and its easy to be tempted to change the design in the project watch, (especially the http://mapage.noos.fr/goffredo/various/Guzzi-watch-1.jpg is very, very good) but I fear that doing so may kill the project for this reason:

We’re on 25 pre-orders now, and pre-orders have come from many different sources, its not possible to change the design without starting the preorder process all over again - and this would seriously weaken the credability of the project.

So, I simply fear that the people that pre-ordered the watch with the original design may feel that the project is out of control.

What do you think ?

/Jens

http://www.guzzitech.dk/english

Banner_Guzzi_2.jpg

Goffredo and Alex:

The design suggestions mentioned above are truely magnificent, and its easy to be tempted to change the design in the project watch, (especially the http://mapage.noos.fr/goffredo/various/Guzzi-watch-1.jpg is very, very good) but I fear that doing so may kill the project for this reason:

We’re on 25 pre-orders now, and pre-orders have come from many different sources, its not possible to change the design without starting the preorder process all over again - and this would seriously weaken the credability of the project.

So, I simply fear that the people that pre-ordered the watch with the original design may feel that the problem is out of control.

What do you think ?

/Jens

I'll do it with any of the logos shown...

dk

Jens, just a side note; the MG logo is copyrighted. You could get in trouble by using it without permission. Or do you have this covered somehow?

If we change it to a puffin, I might be interested :lol:

But seriously I think it looks great!

I hope Guzzi realizes that enthusiasm about their product is more important than the loss of potential sales of Genuine Guzzi merchandise.

Here is another idea, but I like the Guzzi one better...this just might market to other gear heads.

vegliawatchrr4.jpg

But needs some fine tuning....

Banner_Guzzi_2.jpg

Jens, just a side note; the MG logo is copyrighted. You could get in trouble by using it without permission. Or do you have this covered somehow?

I looked up quite a few companies that was selling Moto Guzzi labeled items without being connected to the factory, and asked them how they handled the copyright issue.

The interesting point is that many of them had actually tried to contact Moto Guzzi several times, but had never recieved an answer.

Not a "no" or a "yes" - just silence.......

This is the usual Italian mentality - why bother about a question from some obscure far away country, and why bother about an answer when its safe to ignore the question...... No wonder that Moto Guzzi has been nearly bankrupt for 80+ years with a mentality like that (This is probably also why we love the Italians anyway Smile))).

So, it seems that plenty of people are doing this, and the factory dos'nt seem to bother.

/Jens

Hi,

Goffredo, I must admit that I'm madly in love with Guzzi-watch-2.jpg. It matches the existing elegance of the Junkers watch almost perfectly. Jens, I sure wouldn't mind if you change the dial to this! :P

Either way, I'll keep my preorder in. :drink:

Regards,

-ken

I'm in love :wub: with all three of the mockups, if you could nail one down and it didn't hurt things too much you could e-mail all the preorders and see what they say, the right dail might push you closer to 75 than 25 I really like that old old school logo but any of the three mockups would have my money, I just feel the current one looks a little goofy. :whistle:

I'm in love :wub: with all three of the mockups, if you could nail one down and it didn't hurt things too much you could e-mail all the preorders and see what they say, the right dail might push you closer to 75 than 25 I really like that old old school logo but any of the three mockups would have my money, I just feel the current one looks a little goofy. :whistle:

:stupid:

I would also go for either http://mapage.noos.fr/goffredo/various/Guzzi-watch-1.jpg or http://mapage.noos.fr/goffredo/various/Guzzi-watch-2.jpg... (and not for the current design). The mockup-designs are more in the line of the style of Junker... Just my opinion...

I know the feeling, you already have 25 pre-orders so close to 50. You could also start a new pre-order list for the 1st or 2nd mockup and the pre-order list that is 1st to reach 50, is the one to go. (and send an e-mail to the 25 already on the list that they can also list themselves on the new list).

For the copyright: you could send a letter to guzzi saying that you are going to do this, and that if they agree they don't have to do anything... :grin:

Just a thought...

I have been thinking of adding a chronograph to my small ( very small) collection of two watches. Both are quartz and both Swiss.

Wearing three watches leaves two in the drawer much of the time. How critical is it that the mechanical watch stay wound and running? I've seen those automatic watch winders but wonder if that is necessary?

Banner_Guzzi_2.jpg

Goffredo and Alex:

So, I simply fear that the people that pre-ordered the watch with the original design may feel that the project is out of control.

What do you think ?

/Jens

Sorry for the delay ,I was really quite bussy latelly. :huh2:

:2c::2c: In such case , and since the design is better you can just notify the people( I always do to my customers when something new and better comes along the way of a project) that there is also this one out there (the "new" design-s) which represents a more traditional Guzzi sign and it would be worthy putting this one instead of the "de tomaso" which is earlier.

I believe most if not all would agree about it, Guzzi at a great part is tradition and diachronical, and that sign is all that.

And to tell you the truth since there is a good idea around it would be worse not telling, and IMO if they would like it and find out and you didn't say for one or another reason perhaps they won't be as satisfied with the buy at the end, so just go ahead and present something more.

Plus it gives a better-more serious look in the gold color,or even silver color and as a design, for the whole watch dial than the red ,which IMO ,(and as a artist painter 34years since I started ) makes it look more like a toy compared to a Golden or silver sign.

Golden color it should better be :2c: ,that's a golden eagle we are talking about and that's the color and that's the sign Guzzi was born, worn for years from motorcyles that created a legend.

I have been thinking of adding a chronograph to my small ( very small) collection of two watches. Both are quartz and both Swiss.

Wearing three watches leaves two in the drawer much of the time. How critical is it that the mechanical watch stay wound and running? I've seen those automatic watch winders but wonder if that is necessary?

Since I have spent several K$$$ for only 2 watches in last years I was also interested to find out about it so:

There is absolutelly no problem for good or excellent mechanism automatic watches to stay unwinded for sometime, even half a year.Some "engine" oil chnge is done every 5 years or so and that's all , but often I have heared people not servicing their Breitling or Rolex(perhaps also with other brands is also the same) for longer periods of time, but then there is very propable of not having COSC performance of accuracy.

The meaning of the winder is mostly sentimental of some short since most if not all have this see through glass, so you can see the watch working so the "proud owner" (hehe) can see his "investment" or "beloved" (or you name it) and enjoy it while not wearing it. The functional meaning is that the mechanism keeps working and one can switch through the watch at a glance (perhaps with a small adjustment in time and or date... though never in high end COSC certified watches) and the oil keeps it's "fluidity" since it is worked on.

In other cace perhaps(long time unwind) it would take a day or 2 to reach best accuracy performance as it was designed to do

More or less it acts like an engine yes the good watches need some time to "break in" if you would like to ask and often became better than the factory specs... no there isn't anything special you have to do for a good "break in"you should do to "break in" the "engine" just couple of months continous working and that's it.

Some say that this is a myth but nothing can be proven,my Breitling Hercules though became much more accurate than when new after some months and now years after is just amazinglly accurate wih only a 5-8 sec inclination after 15-17 days , (normal use every day wear, rest horizontal for 10hours a day)

Hope that covers you.