Moto Guzzi Wrist Watch project

jenslh

As I stated earlier, I don't wear watches...

But if design #2 (silver logo) ever gets made, I'll buy one for sure. I really like that understated design. Classy. It fits the watch very well. Perhaps a second run if the first batch goes well?

I'm really surprised that Guzzi isn't concerned about copyright infringement. If you don't actively protect your logo, you lose your rights to that logo. Likely why Junkers doesn't want their name on the face. Bosch recently threatened Steve @ Bevelheaven about the repop stickers he had made for EI pickups. The decal (a $2 item) is not produced by or available from Bosch anymore but they are still protecting their logo. Perhaps this is a 'States only legal thang? :huh2:

cheers,

Rj

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Banner_Guzzi_3.jpg

First - we're now on 27 pre-orders, so we've passed the half way mark :-)

Next - As mentioned earlier, I can easily see the quality of the design offered by Goffredo, but have been reluctant to make changes the project at this point.

But after a few days consideration, I've decided that my stubborn principles should not keep us from having the look of the watch changed from "Great" to "Absolute Fantastic".

So with the help of Goffredo, we will continue the project with this design:

Guzzi-watch-1.jpg

If any of you that already pre-ordered the watch with the original design wants to cancel your pre-order due to the change of design, its perfectly OK.

Put the blame on me for changing the project, but please notify me if you dont want the watch, so the number of pre-orders can be corrected.

You can still see details and status of the project here: http://www.guzzitech.dk/wristwatch/index.htm

/Jens

http://www.guzzitech.dk/english

Banner_Guzzi_3.jpg

As of today, we have 42 Pre-orders, just 8 short of the 50 we need to get started.

I think we can now safely assume that the project will actually come alive :-)

Goffredo have started the work on the high-res files for the dial design, and I'm discussing our options with the factory. If pre-orders keeps coming in at the same rate, I should be able to place the order at the factory in a week or two.

Right now, I dont know if the batch will be of 50 or 60 watches, but its for certain that there wont be another production run with watches of this design. If there will be another watch project in the future, the watch will have a different design, so right now is the time to act if you want to get in.

If you for some reason regret that you pre-ordered, its perfectly OK to back out at this point, but please make up your mind ASAP, and send me a mail so I can update the pre-order list.

As soon as we reach the limit, I'll set up the payment system on my website and let you know.

/Jens

... I think we can now safely assume that the project will actually come alive :-)...

Right now, I dont know if the batch will be of 50 or 60 watches, but its for certain that there wont be another...

If you for some reason regret that you pre-ordered, its perfectly OK to back out at this point, but please make up your mind ASAP, and send me a mail so I can update the pre-order list.

As soon as we reach the limit, I'll set up the payment system on my website and let you know.

/Jens

Seeing the increasing momentum, might I suggest waiting for the additions to the preorder list to die off to a low rate before finalizing? In your original post, you mentioned that the minimum order size was 50, even tho' you would have to pay the rate for 100 clock faces; it seems to me, that the closer you can get to that 100 [or even, gasp! go over!], the better for you, and of course, for anyone who might be coming late to the party.

This thread has run for little over a week, so far, and you're already close to your initial goal of 50; if you reach your goal in the space of another week, then holding the pre-orders open another 2 weeks [ie, the same amount of time it took to reach your original goal] wouldn't necessarily represent a huge delay, but may enable enough wafflers [like me! ;)] to figure out some way to swing the finances & take part. Just an idle thought...

BTW, thanks for coming up with this, it's a great opportunity!

:thumbsup:

Banner_Guzzi_3.jpg

As of today, we have 42 Pre-orders, just 8 short of the 50 we need to get started.

Right now, I dont know if the batch will be of 50 or 60 watches, but its for certain that there wont be another production run with watches of this design. If there will be another watch project in the future, the watch will have a different design, so right now is the time to act if you want to get in.

/Jens

I checked your site and saw he pice for,aprox, 268Euro for this watch (nice price BTW), when would you require the payments to be done?When the preorders are ready? That would be the whole amount , or a part and the rest when the watch is there?

Would be informative to have a couple of info here in the forum.

Seeing the increasing momentum, might I suggest waiting for the additions to the preorder list to die off to a low rate before finalizing? In your original post, you mentioned that the minimum order size was 50, even tho' you would have to pay the rate for 100 clock faces; it seems to me, that the closer you can get to that 100 [or even, gasp! go over!], the better for you, and of course, for anyone who might be coming late to the party.

This thread has run for little over a week, so far, and you're already close to your initial goal of 50; if you reach your goal in the space of another week, then holding the pre-orders open another 2 weeks [ie, the same amount of time it took to reach your original goal] wouldn't necessarily represent a huge delay, but may enable enough wafflers [like me! ;)] to figure out some way to swing the finances & take part. Just an idle thought...

I get your point, and I can partly agree with you . Here's my own thoughts on the subject:

- The first orders have mainly been from the dedicated Moto Guzzi owners that (like my self) would really love to be able to flash a watch like this. I'm positively sure that pre-orders wil not be ticking in at this rate in the future, and when we reach the nescesary 50 watches I'm not going to "punish" the early birds by delaying the project for another 2-4 weeks to get 10 or 15 more orders. We're already talking 6-8 weeks production time from order date, and I know the guys that ordered are anxious to recieve the watch.

So, the plan right now is that I will talk to the factory's design department, and make the final design agreements (helped by Goffredo's kind offer to assist with the design proposal). This will probably be done by the end of next week, and if we've reached the 50 watch limit at that time, I'll place a "Last orders" note on the forum.

The web site http://www.guzzitech.dk/wristwatch/index.htm will be updated with a payment button to allow you to pay from your Paypal account or by Credit card.

A few days later I'll stop the order intake, count the final quantity, and place a production order at the factory.

I've given people plenty of opportunities to back out if they had second thoughts about buying the watch, but I'll probably experience that a few bastards will quit without notice when payment is due. Watches not paid for within reasonable time will be sold to somebody else.

It's important to notice that the original purpose of the project was to make available a limited series of high quality wrist watches to the Moto Guzzi owners. I'm never gonna make a living out of this project, so I do'nt really care if we make 50 or 70 watches. As long as we reach the minimum limit so I can get a watch for myself :-)

/Jens

http://www.guzzitech.dk

I checked your site and saw he pice for,aprox, 268Euro for this watch (nice price BTW), when would you require the payments to be done?When the preorders are ready? That would be the whole amount , or a part and the rest when the watch is there?

As mentioned above, I'm going to ask you to make the payment when we reach the 50 watches and the factory has confirmed that they can actually produce the proposed design.

I'll set up a payment button on the information site http://www.guzzitech.dk/wristwatch/index.htm to allow you to transfer money from your Paypal account or make the payment by credit card, and I will ask you to pay the full amount in one payment.

/Jens

jens ,

i like your idea and i see a problem .but do not let me disuade you .

the problem is that you have a limited audience in here and you need 50 watches sold.

you will also need clearance from moto-guzzi to do this .

then you take into account the taste of all here and you will probably get 5 different , " i would prefer this over that " in every 25 or so replies . and so , you will sell maybe 2 or 4 watches per 100 of audience or potential buyers ,

you then add in the cost factor and you may lose 1 or 2 of these .

thus ,yes it can succed but only if you have a advertising effort that reaches " x " number of moto guzzi aficionados .

agin , i like your idea ...................the design ,for me ,(re-read above)is not what i like .

years ago i bought a watch that had the face of a 1950's mvagusta tach,and i still have it .but ,it ran as an ad in a major mail order book, i think it was herrington.

so, my two bits is that you ,if you decide to tackle this as a buss. opportunity , design 2 or 3 models based on different watch designs,i.e. a flat ,thin one, a large one ,etc, or only one design,and 2 or 3 logos, ie bmw ,ducati, etc... and then of course,even for moto guzzi ,you will have to get their approval to use their name or fascimile ,otherwise you will be ,or can be sued for copyright infrengement .

and of course you will have to indenmify the mfr. agaist possible law suits,( welcome to the usa ).and thus you may have to carry product liability insurance.

i hate to be a bore ,but i do like your idea .and i hope that the details to carry it out will not be construed from as this being a negative post.

only trying to help.

fernando

then approach one of the mail order houses such as brookstone or sharper image and try to work out a deal.

sorry jen,

i posted the above after reading the first page only.

congratulations on the number of orders that you have received .

my only concern is the liability issue .trademark infringement .

I put in a preorder, if there is such a stink from the factory they can come pry it off my cold dead arm!!!

I really like the new design as its more modern, my favorite was the really old version as I love simple and classy but this is good too, and a good watch :bier:

Fernando:

As you probably figured out by reading through the thread, I dont see this project as a new business opportunity - I'm plenty busy with my current projects (jobs, family, motorcycles etc......)

I'm doing this thing as an evening/weekend project for the fun of it, combining the two things I have some knowledge about (Moto Guzzi's and watches) into an interesting product. I seriously doubt if I will run another project like this one, so this is probably a one time opportunity.

It's not possible to obtain a permission from Moto Guzzi to use their name - all questions of this kind are traditionally completely ignored by the factory. You do'nt get a "Yes" or a "No" - you simply dont get an answer.

I asked a lot of people that makes T-shirts, Jackets, Caps, etc. using the Name and/or logo, and they never had any problems.

And I honestly think that I'm doing the brand good by starting this project - its not that I use the brand to sell bad quality stuff, and I'm not competing with anything you can get from official sources.

As for product liability, there's no problem. I dont sell the watch in the US - you buy it in Denmark! What you do with the watch is your responsebility. (Denmark dont have the strict product liability laws you know in the US - over here, common sense is still allowed and expected).

Arrrrrrrggghh - sorry about the last part, I just could'nt help my self.... :wacko:

/Jens