Moto Guzzi Wrist Watch project

jenslh

jens,

thank you for the reply and you are right ...common sense is it.

but we have too many lawyers in the usa with little to do.so ,if it moves ,they sue.

that is why you cannot get 85 % of the helmets sold in europe in the usa ,and so on.

and, as i read your post i remember that a friend of mine in germany who is also a guzzi guy , offers thru the motozpecial company (you may know it .they build bikes and parts for guzzi in germany utilizing italian designs ,and also front forks and entire bikes with guzzi motors ) a few guzzi products of his own design and with the guzzi name .

one of them is an actual --boomerang ---(the australian type ) with the guzzi logo.

and yes ,he has had zero problems .

i guess that company ,guzzi ,is so mismanaged that they have no idea what is going on,and in any event ,any project like this helps push their name ,and that ,right now is better than they earning a royalty on someone else applying their name to a new product.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest goffredo
i guess that company ,guzzi ,is so mismanaged that they have no idea what is going on,and in any event ,any project like this helps push their name ,and that ,right now is better than they earning a royalty on someone else applying their name to a new product.

That's it. I have had in the past the pleasure to consult for Moto Guzzi France for thre years and meet several people in charge of marcomms in Mandello.

Yes, it is a fact that that Company changed management around 5 five times in the last fifteen years... Kind of hard to follow up projects and stuff. But , having said so, their actual policy on protecting the brand is as simple as good: they do monitor what importers, dealers and aficionados are doing all over the world.

Just monitor. If there are no issues, then it is ok.

So if John Smith of Canberra starts selling Moto Guzzi parking Only signs - and their are well done - nobody in Mandello sees the point of going there to hassle him. On the contrary: the man is doing spontaneous brand awareness campaigns! The more, the merrier. A Guzzi logo on a boomerang? Fair enough! That's why in NYC you can buy fantastic t-shirt with the Guzzi eagle and the NYC letters, that's why almost every dealer around the world sell their personalized Guzzi merchandise.

Again, that's just common sense.

BUT, try to do something weird, messing around the logo for unauthorized commercial activity and you are going to face problems: they know how to protect their brand and they do so when necessary.

In the present case, given the nature of Jens project, I'd bet that the only email that might come from Mandello is a couple of orders and a letter of congratulations.

:mg::mg:

G.

This is a very beautiful design! I'm teetering . . . I had hoped that my next watch would have a tachymeter. No hope of that for this project I don't suppose? ( I know everyone would like something different.) :food:

Also, I searched and read and didn't see anything of the dials or numbers being luminous.( Is that the correct term for 'glow-in-the-dark?') :blush:

It's not always radio-silence...

Remember the grey forum shirts I sold a few years back to help pay hosting expences? It had the Guzzi logo on it and after a few months I got an e-mail from Mandello.

They told me I had authorization to sell my stock but not to print new ones...

:DClick here

This is a very beautiful design! I'm teetering . . . I had hoped that my next watch would have a tachymeter. No hope of that for this project I don't suppose? ( I know everyone would like something different.) :food:

Also, I searched and read and didn't see anything of the dials or numbers being luminous.( Is that the correct term for 'glow-in-the-dark?') :blush:

Sorry, but the design is fixed at this point, but if I will ever do a project like this again, it will probably be a "forum community watch" with a number of polls on different designs, materials, movements, etc. Your proposal may have a chance here.

Hands and markings on the dial is Tritium covered to make them luminous in the dark (only for some time after the ambient light is gone, as the use of the radioactive stuff was banned some 40 years ago......)

47 pre-orders as of today - design talk with the factory started.

/Jens

Jens, Thank you for your reply and this effort.

I had thought that tritium is phosphorescent and emits light whereas the typical material for watch dials is luminescent and must absorb energy from another light source?

In the present case, given the nature of Jens project, I'd bet that the only email that might come from Mandello is a couple of orders and a letter of congratulations.

:mg::mg:

G.

If only other corporations handled trade-dress "infringement" so sensibly. ;)

I had thought that tritium is phosphorescent and emits light whereas the typical material for watch dials is luminescent and must absorb energy from another light source?

Not too sure about this, I know it only as tritium, but its a fact that when you leave the watch in the dark, the glow will fade after some time, and have to be recharged by ambient light.

/Jens

http://www.guzzitech.dk/english

Not too sure about this, I know it only as tritium, but its a fact that when you leave the watch in the dark, the glow will fade after some time, and have to be recharged by ambient light.

/Jens

http://www.guzzitech.dk/english

AFAIK the materials used for lighting in the dark in watches are Tritium , Luminova and Super Luminova.

Effective life expectancy of the Tritium is about 12-12.5 years and Super Luminova is just as good if not better Luminova can loose 20% of it's luminosity after 2000 hours of exposure compared to the Super Luminova, and tritium will deteriorate gradually to it's life expectancy.

tritium isn't used often anymore in EU end especially not in Switzerland, beause of Europe regulations in transporting, storage , ect.ect. of this material.

AFAIK the materials used for lighting in the dark in watches are Tritium , Luminova and Super Luminova.

Effective life expectancy of the Tritium is about 12-12.5 years and Super Luminova is just as good if not better Luminova can loose 20% of it's luminosity after 2000 hours of exposure compared to the Super Luminova, and tritium will deteriorate gradually to it's life expectancy.

tritium isn't used often anymore in EU end especially not in Switzerland, beause of Europe regulations in transporting, storage , ect.ect. of this material.

Jens,

Can you find out about this? This has always been one of the hallmarks of a fine watch for me. Cheap "glow-in-the-dark" paint on the dials doesn't say quality like luminescent hands, etc. Tritium or a good substitue would be fine, but it does need to emit, and not simply absorb and reflect.

dk

Jens,

Can you find out about this? This has always been one of the hallmarks of a fine watch for me. Cheap "glow-in-the-dark" paint on the dials doesn't say quality like luminescent hands, etc. Tritium or a good substitue would be fine, but it does need to emit, and not simply absorb and reflect.

dk

All the above I mentioned(Luminova variations and Tritium) are used in high end watches, in mewest stuff Luminova or super Luminovais used ,i.e. my X,xxxUSD Breitling for Bentley, uses super Luminova for instance, so do newest Rolexes (AFAIK) and, Nardins and so on. Perhaps the difference is on how much time the glow is maintained after the "charge".A half minute charge in a 40W bulb is good enough for my watch (mentioned before) for about one hour glow in total dark with 40-45 minutes strong enough.

And this absorb-reflect is how it works, I think tritium , has a more to the yellow(compared with Luminova) color reflection, and used to be mostly in older watches.

And hee is the example left to right Breitling Bentley (1 month old from purchase date at the time photo was taken) and Breitling Hercules, 2years old respectivelly.This is turquase Luminova light.

DSCN2.JPG

Ok, just want to make sure it is visible in the dark for more than a couple of minutes. I'm used to tritium gunsights, which don't require light, and my exposure to the high end watches has always made it seems they didn't either.

dk