Tempted by new 1200s

Guest Nigelstephens

Guest Nigelstephens

Oh I really want one.

I can't afford it but oh it would be nice.

Got a great bike for the last year - 1100i Sport 97.

Looking a bit old with paint bubbling away and substituted mud - the bike is looking so old. The bike is fun. It is smooth (my16m) and lots of TB balancing. Have got the orginal crossover and air box(K&M filter). I love the guzzi sound until it gets noisy - not too much exhaust modification.

Suspension is great too, after setting the sag.

Looks are ok but obviously not new.

Its a Guzzi so it last for ages with loving care. Don't need anything else.

but oh, I would like a new 1200.... Should I?

Guest Nogbad

No.

First, it won't be that significantly different from your present bike to ride.

Second, you won't be able to fiddle with it because it will be under warranty and tied in to dealer servicing.

Third, depreciation is horrendous on Guzzis. Wait for a year old one if you are still tempted.

Fourth, its amazing how fast the finish goes on any new bike, and you are then back to square one if the patina of age is what you object to on the 1100i.

Why not refinish the 1100i over the next winter instead.

Nigel, saw this and felt compelled to stick my nose in. I own a sport i - and it's a bike I'll never get rid of. I've never tired of it - neither the looks nor the riding experience.

I've contented myself with upgrading the sport i. Haven't even started on the cosmetics yet, just motor and transmission thus far.

You have a bike that (IMHO) may be the most beautiful Guzzi ever built. It's also becoming rare, so its continued availability at current prices astounds me. No matter, they're not investments anyway.

I've never heard complaints about "weird" handling with the sport i- unlike the V 11, it's later spine permutations. Remember the sport (and Daytona) was THE Dr. John race bike. Probably didn't improve with subsequent factory fiddling.

Also, it's probably as light a bike with that sized mill (save the MGS 01) Guzzi will ever build. I suspect it is 50 to 100 pounds lighter than the sport you are considering.

Handling can be addressed by upgrading or replacing suspension components. Motor has lots of oomph hiding within - just needs some dollars and know how-thrown at it. Plenty of the latter available here and at guzzitech.

Quite frankly I've yet to find a bike that comes close to stirring my soul as does my sport i. And I've got some current references for comparison - I'm racing an '04 Aprilia RSV R and an '85 Cagiva Alazzurra. Both wonderful machines, and of course the Aprilia still state of the art - but for street feel, and poser value - c'mon, it IS important :) - I'll climb aboard my sport i every time.

JMHO.

Keep the Sporti, buy a Norge to go with it (I did). They're worlds different yet oddly similar. The Sporti is a bit more elemental whereas the Norge is pretty refined. I don't think a 1200s would be a good substitute for either one, either singly or together.

Oh I really want one.

I can't afford it but oh it would be nice.

Got a great bike for the last year - 1100i Sport 97.

Looking a bit old with paint bubbling away and substituted mud - the bike is looking so old. The bike is fun. It is smooth (my16m) and lots of TB balancing. Have got the orginal crossover and air box(K&M filter). I love the guzzi sound until it gets noisy - not too much exhaust modification.

Suspension is great too, after setting the sag.

Looks are ok but obviously not new.

You got one of the most beautifull Guzzis , so my :2c: is if you keep the 1100 and CAN afford a 1200(if finnally after testing it is satisfiying good) then why not gettting another one.I dissagree that the bike looks too old.Then again it is all an idea, you can go buy her some extra for change , i.e. head guard protectors, and forget the 1200..

My experience so far with meterial things iI have this moto, if you can't afford it forget it and especially if you have something really good to do the same job.

The 1200S is a nice improvement on the Breva and Norge, but it could be so much more.

Just imagine that engine in a street legal MGS01

moto_guzzi_mgs_01_cl.jpg

Or wait for Griso 8 valve

http://www.maxmoto.co.uk/images/Moto%20Guz...so%208v%20m.jpg

Still, the MGS01 is about the only design on the horizon that would make me buy a new bike again...although it may be too sportlike, while the 1200S is probably the perfect balance of sport and comfort.

And dammit they need a nice retro series, with an El Dorado styled bike and a V7Sport styled bike.

Chatting to a dealer last week- the 8v motor is a long way from production- maybe 2 years before it shows its face in Europe.

I used to have a Sporti and sold it because of the terrible (for me) ergonomics- I did 3000 miles in a week and it about killed my neck. Wish I could have kept it as well as the V11, but at the time could not afford to.

Have not ridden a 1200 Sport but have ridden a Breva 1100 (very similar) which is, in comparison to your Sporti a big comfy civilised squashy thing.

I understand that the claimed "95hp most powerful road legal Guzzi ever hype" translates into an actual low 80s rear wheel bhp- same as your Sporti so I would not expect a massive power increase from the new bike.

Guy :helmet:

The 1200S is a nice improvement on the Breva and Norge, but it could be so much more.

Just imagine that engine in a street legal MGS01

Still, the MGS01 is about the only design on the horizon that would make me buy a new bike again...although it may be too sportlike, while the 1200S is probably the perfect balance of sport and comfort.

And dammit they need a nice retro series, with an El Dorado styled bike and a V7Sport styled bike.

Well yes , they need to come up with something real sporty but road legal.Rummors have it (already a year no) that something real good in this area will be presented in 2008, as I see it is moving on to this "rummor" with a new motor expected to come and so on. So hopefully we will see something good sonner or latter.

Well yes I always say first see it ready and then we can say it is for sure or else it stays on the rummor department.

Guest Nigelstephens

I feel enchouraged to stick with the Sport 1100. Thanks for your comments. I do know its the best bike I have ever had for enjoyment (including the frequent fixes and minor improvements to keep it running sweet).

I have ridden a few so need to pinch my self to remember how medioker other bikes are.

I must concentrate on painting and finishing to get her looking more cared for and attractive.

Its interesting that when I go the local bike shop and park amoungst the other jap 4s etc. very few people will take a second look at the Guzzi. Its either darn right ugly/old looking, jap stuff is far more eye catching or the people dont know what an amazing machine Guzzis are.

• 1 month later...

This morning I did something really stupid! :wacko: My V11 needed rebalancing and while waiting at TLM, I couldn't resist and asked for a test ride on the 1200S.

I only rode it for about 30 kms, but what a difference! It fitted me like a glove, feet are a bit more forward than the V11, and you lean more forward than on my V11 with Café Sport handlebar. Shifting is precise, but needs a bit getting used to. Neutral was hard to find, but probably due to the bike's low mileage.

The engine is smooth as silk and you can tell the fuel injection is well sorted. It picks up nicely at 2000 rpm and the V11's on/off throttle is gone. Oh joy!

:wub: I just love this new Guzzi. I'm doomed...

Any ideas on what to do? :huh2:

Wait for the new Le Mans with the 8 v, 125 hp motor.

:stupid:

That'll get my fancy going, I only sat on a breva and oh my what a comfy chair she was, the griso, not so much but looks nicer. I'd love a 8v griso or a MGS road bike I'd only get the 1200s if my V11 got totaled. while comfy they are still rather similar and I like the retro style better.

When I went up to Scotland last week, one of the girls that was with us had a brand new 1200 Sport- looked nice in the flesh.

Beginning to grow on me too!

Unfortunately I don't think we will ever see a 125bhp 8V Le Mans.

Guy :helmet: