Forward foot position

Ryland3210

Looking for the best of two worlds, I designed and built a set of peg brackets, brake and shift levers to move my foot position forward and slightly down.

I love the Cafe Sport's modernity and performance, but my knees have been abused by decades of dirt riding, backpacking and squash, and they object to long periods bent as far as the original controls require. I missed my Norton Commando with its relaxed peg position.

The challenge was to retain as much cornering clearance as possible and the same leverage ratios so the stroke and pressure required for shifting and braking would be the same as Guzzi's engineers'.

The pegs were moved forward a substantial 5.5 inches, and only slightly downwards, to the same level as the Centauro. For primarily cosmetic reasons and in keeping with the "naked" style of the bike, a considerable amount of aluminum was machined out to lighten everything.

I'm very happy with the results. I have some pictures of the results. Two show the original and forward foot positions relative to a 45 degree triangle. They show there is very little difference in ground clearance because as the foot is positioned forward, the toe naturally angles more horizontally instead of downwards. Of course those with more flexible legs than me can move their toes up to the pegs. In my case, I'm content to pull 1 G plus corners without having to do that and with my feet in the forward position.

From left to right, top row: Forward Foot Position, Forward Leg Position, Left Peg Bracket, Original Foot Position

Bottome row: Original Leg Position, Shift Lever.

Missing is the Right Peg Bracket and Brake Lever Assembly Picture. I'll send that to

Admin Jaap shortly.

RightAssembly.jpg

Left-SideComp.jpg

ForwardFoot__Small_.jpg

ForwardLeg__Small_.jpg

LeftPegBracket__Small_.jpg

OriginalFoot__Small_.jpg

OriginalLeg__Small_.jpg

ShiftLever__Small_.jpg

Edited by Ryland3210

Very nice machining work,but dont you find the trammels,rag and lump of wood reduce the cornering abilities?

They might, if I had any cornering abilities to begin with. In my case, outriggers would be a plus.

The rag was an expedient to prevent the bright orange jack stand from causing a confusing background for the pictures.

This seems to be a very elegant way to solve a real Guzzi problem (for some of us). DVH sold his Rosso because of the lack of knee extention and this is one of the few problems I have with the bike. Could we have some pics of the left side fitted please with the same leg comparison.

Finally would you make some more and if so what's the deal.

Really nice work, congratulations :bier:

This seems to be a very elegant way to solve a real Guzzi problem (for some of us). DVH sold his Rosso because of the lack of knee extention and this is one of the few problems I have with the bike. Could we have some pics of the left side fitted please with the same leg comparison.

Finally would you make some more and if so what's the deal.

Really nice work, congratulations :bier:

Thanks!

I'm going out of town tomorrow morning, and won't be able to take pictures of the left side until late next week. I'll get to it as soon as I can. Basically, the peg position is moved exactly the same way on both sides. The brake and shift lever positions are both adjustable, like the original. I also am making another version of the shift rod actuating stamping to see how a longer stroke feels.

I'll work up what it would cost to make up some sets of parts. A lot depends on how many I am asked to make up. I'll absorb the CNC programing and R&D costs, but there is still the pattern and tooling cost for the shift lever. Designing the shift lever was quite difficult and required a little trial and error. I made mine the laborious way with no pattern or tooling costs, but for any quantity, investment casting followed by heat treating and finishing would make more sense.

I'll keep checking this thread to see how much interest there is, and meanwhile figure out the costs versus quantity.

Thanks!

I'm going out of town tomorrow morning, and won't be able to take pictures of the left side until late next week. I'll get to it as soon as I can. Basically, the peg position is moved exactly the same way on both sides. The brake and shift lever positions are both adjustable, like the original. I also am making another version of the shift rod actuating stamping to see how a longer stroke feels.

I'll work up what it would cost to make up some sets of parts. A lot depends on how many I am asked to make up. I'll absorb the CNC programing and R&D costs, but there is still the pattern and tooling cost for the shift lever. Designing the shift lever was quite difficult and required a little trial and error. I made mine the laborious way with no pattern or tooling costs, but for any quantity, investment casting followed by heat treating and finishing would make more sense.

I'll keep checking this thread to see how much interest there is, and meanwhile figure out the costs versus quantity.

I am interested for sure!!! Let us know please.