Forward foot position

Ryland3210

Thanks for the feedback!

I currently have the stock bars though... and based on your description, I wonder if John's controls are going to put me in a weird long reach, but upright position given my dimensions?

I have Paul's bar risers in a box, and may fit them at some point, but am just wondering.

Anyone with my height have John's controls fitted?

Al

Thanks for the feedback!

I currently have the stock bars though... and based on your description, I wonder if John's controls are going to put me in a weird long reach, but upright position given my dimensions?

I have Paul's bar risers in a box, and may fit them at some point, but am just wondering.

Anyone with my height have John's controls fitted?

Al

Hi Al, that would almost be me! I'm 5'9" with 31 inseam. Keep in mind that the feet are moved forward 5.5 inches, and down to the same level as the Centauro controls.

Keep in mind that the orientation of your legs relative to your hips is governed by the foot position, but that does not affect the orientation of your upper body to the grips. That depends on your butt position, not your foot position.

However, the forward foot position not only unbends the knees, but the fact that more of your weight is transferred to your feet farther forward takes pressure off your hands. It creates a rotational torque of your whole body about your hips away from the bars. At the same time, because the feet are pressing on the pegs down more vertically, instead of backwards, is the reason why it makes it easier to position your butt wherever you prefer, instead of tending to push the crotch into the tank, especially when braking, as Darius pointed out. Moving the feet forward also makes the feet closer to horizontal instead of the toes pointing down as much as they do with the original. That keeps the ground clearance to the toes about the same or higher than original for carving those twisty corners. Control levers also preserve the original leverage ratio.

Hope this explanation helps understand how it all works so well. I originally bought a set of Centauro brackets and levers, and found it was slightly better, but I wasn't satisfied. I did several months of ergonomic study and engineering prototyping to arrive at the particular dimensions of the brackets to not only work for me and you, but taller riders as well. I originally did it only to try to regain the comfort I had enjoyed with my Norton, because I plan on riding the Guzzi into the sunset, if you know what I mean. I'm happy it's worked out for many others.

Best, John

Thanks John, that was an excellent description! It sounds like your controls may be perfect, and negate the need for modified bars... which I'd like to leave stock if possible.

I bought a set of Centauro controls a loooong while back as well, but never had a chance to try to get them fitted. So I'll probably be eBay'ing them soon B)

Thanks again for all the patient and thorough replies to my flurry of email questions. It is much appreciated.

Once the finances straighten out, I'll let you know... as these controls are definitely high on my list.

Al

• 6 months later...

What a fine example of design, engineering and production to create a product that deals with the ergo issues!!

I have enjoyed reading this thread and was wondering what the current availability of the forward foot position kit might be??

What a fine example of design, engineering and production to create a product that deals with the ergo issues!!

I have enjoyed reading this thread and was wondering what the current availability of the forward foot position kit might be??

Go to www.motratech.com to see them firsthand, and to order. The website address is shown in Ryland's posts. If you are in the market for this mod, IMHO he's got perhaps the best for ergonomics, and they look real nice to boot!

As SH said, Ryland's are nicely made. For a less radical position change Motobits makes a nice set. I got mine from Greg at Moto International. They are very nice and still keep a sporting position.

• 11 years later...

I'm new to this party,love your form.

Finally got my hands on a beautiful 2000 v11 sport.

Love the bike ,but setting it up to better suit my riding style. 

I guess it's going to be near impossible to find one of these beautiful kits.

Is someone still building them?

Even if the drawings were available it would help in building a set.

Any input would be appreciated. 

Ok I'm late to this thread and excuse me getting on my soap box but I sometimes wonder whether people realise when doing these type of peg location mods the backward step they are taking in the performance and safety of their sports bike.

Those of us that have spent time track riding and thinking about the process soon understand that a massive amount of bike control comes via the foot pegs. When you start moving them forward to an extent that is indicated in the images on the opening page of this thread then you're loosing a major amount of bike control.

My yardstick for sports bike foot peg location is this. While riding in a straight line at say 60kph you must be able to lift your but off the seat (say an inch) and maintain that position without using the bars for any type of support or assistance. If you cant do this then you cant effectively weigh the foot pegs during shall we say serious cornering and if you cant weigh the pegs then you diminish the control to a major extent.

People may say that this doesnt apply on a road bike and its true that you can ride around in cruise mode and not be effected but at some point which may end up being an overcooked it moment in a corner you will need this to survive. You cant ride any bike especially a sports bike through the bars alone and this is part of the reason a cruiser is a cruiser and lacks the dynamic control of a sports bike.

Riding the bike through the bars alone is also tiring. The times when I venture onto the track and thinks arent going well its generally because I've slipped into the road riding cruise mindset of not weighing the pegs and riding it through the bars, that and sometimes not looking far enough forward. Both road riders bad habits.

If your a road rider and hit the twisties regularly then you should be consciously applying the principle of loading the pegs so you can have proper control. Unfortunately you wont be able to do this effectively or at all with a feet forward position.

Ciao 

• Like 1

I was told a similar technique for foot and hand position.  With a bike on its centre stand LOL,  place both open hands palm down on the bars, try to stand up, if you need to grab the bars and pull your feet are too far forward, if you have to push then too far back. May be safer than checking at 60mph but of course does not take wind pressure into account. Perhaps add a slight degree of push?

3 hours ago, 68C said:

I was told a similar technique for foot and hand position.  With a bike on its centre stand LOL,  place both open hands palm down on the bars, try to stand up, if you need to grab the bars and pull your feet are too far forward, if you have to push then too far back. May be safer than checking at 60mph but of course does not take wind pressure into account. Perhaps add a slight degree of push?

I regularly do this thing I described when I'm riding my usual local road. There are 2 places I do this due to significant road lumps and bumps. just like riding on the dirt the bike and rider seem to handle these particular patches better with the weight on the pegs as opposed to the seat. I had a serious back injury a few years ago from a big crash at Phillip Island and my spine doesnt like sharp jolts so this works for me as any impact is absorbed through my knees. I'm usually doing 80-90 kph at the time.

Ciao    

While I agree, putting forward foot pegs on a V11 is wrong, to answer the question I don't think these are made anymore. I certainly hope not.

There are footpegs you can use to make the foot pegs more comfortable, like these

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/mfw-vario-footpeg-mounts-for-moto-guzzi-v11-models-rider-black-or-silver

They allow you to use their adjustable footpegs, better for lower pegs than forward pegs.