Forward foot position

Ryland3210

Guest SantaFeRider

Hi John,

I just mailed your payment.

Thank you very much for your contribution to my comfort.

Marcelo

• 1 month later...
Guest SantaFeRider

Hi John,

Just to let you know that I received the forward controls for my Le Mans.

You did a great job, they look just great.

As soon as I free my lift (currently working on my BMW) I will start installation.

My knees will thank you very much!!!

Hey John,

Got the pegs and levers installed Thursday. Finally rode it this morning and, OH MY... what a difference! First, I want to tell everyone that these things are first-rate as far as casting and engineering goes. Everything is supplied and the directions are clear. It did take a bit of fanagling to get into the tight spaces that are required for install, but the time is worth it.

Here are my comments:

The obvious...knee position is greatly relieved.

Pressure on the palms is greatly improved and almost non-exhistent.

Crotch is not pressed against the tank as before. The pelvis is not tilted forward, but more neutral.

The shifts seem to be more exacting. I don't know if it's the leverage difference or what, but it feels more solid and I'm hitting less false neutrals.

If this position could be compared to anything, it would be my Breva 750, but with a bit more aggressive forward lean. I couldn't be more happy with this mod and think it is probably the single most effective mod for the Lemans. I now do not have to consider a seat change or selling the bike altogether. For those interested for their own comfort, do yourself a favor and consider this. For the price he's offering these at and the precision craftsmanship, you won't be sorry. John is also a man of his word, and I appreciate that.

Thanks John.

-Kevin

Message to Matt H:

Hi Mike,

Thanks for counting yourself in on the next batch.

I have just started another batch, but I couldn't see any way in your message to contact you.

Try sending me a personal message, and we can link up.

Cheers,

John

They're here

After a £42.73 customs and P/O charge they arrived well packed in 11 days from the US. Will do some polishing work before they go on, fit 'em, try 'em and report back after a decent mileage.

Shame I couldn't have tried them on the ride down to Limoge but it was a good test for the Highland.

Extended_footrests_and_controls_small.jpg

They're here

After a £42.73 customs and P/O charge they arrived well packed in 11 days from the US. Will do some polishing work before they go on, fit 'em, try 'em and report back after a decent mileage.

Shame I couldn't have tried them on the ride down to Limoge but it was a good test for the Highland.

Extended_footrests_and_controls_small.jpg

Hi John,

Glad they've arrived, though the customs charge seems very high. Customs duty to the U.K. has generally run between 2 and 8% in the many shipments I have previously made to the U.K. of various high-tech machine controls. Regarding P/O charges, that's a real surprise, as I prepaid the shipping at my end. You should only have had to pay customs duty.

Thanks for posting the picture of the parts. It gives people considering these controls an idea of what's included. There's a lot more to it than just the 5 main components, because my goal was to avoid you having to purchase anything to install. There are a number of stainless steel and custom machined items included.

best regards,

John

Hi John,

Glad they've arrived, though the customs charge seems very high.

Did it come via UPS? I've just gone through the shite with UPS over my HyperPro steering dampener (I call it a dampener because the bloody Bitubo POS did a fine job of dampening my steering - with hyd fluid!).

UPS charges a $50 fee just for crossing a border - they don't tell that to the people who use them!! Apperently they call themselves "Brown" for good reason! This is above all customs and duty charges!

Sent the dampener back and had to have it redelivered to a Washington addy.

Bastards were holding my package hostage. Homey don't play that game! No other shipping company does this...

Rj

Did it come via UPS? I've just gone through the shite with UPS over my HyperPro steering dampener (I call it a dampener because the bloody Bitubo POS did a fine job of dampening my steering - with hyd fluid!).

UPS charges a $50 fee just for crossing a border - they don't tell that to the people who use them!! Apperently they call themselves "Brown" for good reason! This is above all customs and duty charges!

Sent the dampener back and had to have it redelivered to a Washington addy.

Bastards were holding my package hostage. Homey don't play that game! No other shipping company does this...

Rj

I have used UPS successfully in the past on shipments to the UK and Canada, but only when the value was in 5-6 figures. They can be very efficient in terms of delivery. This shipment was via US Postal Services Air Parcel Post. Near as I can tell, they kept their 3-5 business day promise, but apparently it got tied up in UK customs, so the delivery time extended to 11 days.

Within the US, UPS used to be the least costly way to go for a 1-2 day delivery, and still offers superior tracking over the Internet, but now the US Postal Service offers less costly alternatives for small packages, like these comfort controls. Knowing it's riding season, I have been springing for a few extra bucks to deliver faster. They have been delivering within that promise, and I'm pleased with that.

If you are interested in purchasing these controls, I'll work with you to avoid unpleasant surprises as best I can.

Cheers, John

Message to Matt H:

Hi Matt,

Your check arrived while I was away in California, and I just rolled in last night. Sorry you haven't heard from me sooner. I expect to ship your controls by the day after tomorrow- May 30, via priority express mail.

regards,

John

Message to Matt H:

Hi Matt,

Thanks for counting yourself in on the next batch.

I have just started another batch, but I couldn't see any way in your message to contact you.

Try sending me a personal message, and we can link up.

Cheers,

John

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your payment. It was received while I was away in California last week. Your controls were shipped out this past Tuesday, May 30th by USPS priority express. They should arrive by Friday, today, in time for the weekend, with any luck.

best,

John

Hey John,

Got the pegs and levers installed Thursday. Finally rode it this morning and, OH MY... what a difference! First, I want to tell everyone that these things are first-rate as far as casting and engineering goes. Everything is supplied and the directions are clear. It did take a bit of fanagling to get into the tight spaces that are required for install, but the time is worth it.

Here are my comments:

The obvious...knee position is greatly relieved.

Pressure on the palms is greatly improved and almost non-exhistent.

Crotch is not pressed against the tank as before. The pelvis is not tilted forward, but more neutral.

The shifts seem to be more exacting. I don't know if it's the leverage difference or what, but it feels more solid and I'm hitting less false neutrals.

If this position could be compared to anything, it would be my Breva 750, but with a bit more aggressive forward lean. I couldn't be more happy with this mod and think it is probably the single most effective mod for the Lemans. I now do not have to consider a seat change or selling the bike altogether. For those interested for their own comfort, do yourself a favor and consider this. For the price he's offering these at and the precision craftsmanship, you won't be sorry. John is also a man of his word, and I appreciate that.

Thanks John.

-Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I've been thinking about your comment that the shifts seem to be more exacting. There are two reasons this would be expected: First, the pressed in bushings which the pivot screw rides in are precision machined and pressed in, instead of the split bushings used in the original lever. Second, the leverage is the same as original, but the shift lever is much longer, so any backlash in the pivot results in proportionately less slop at the toe end of the shift lever.

So now they're on. A big run tomorrow to Machynlleth the Centre for Alternative Technology in Wales. Around 300 miles by the time we get home. Have just done a few local miles with them fitted and they seem excellent.

Being a little slow in fitting I got the brake side done 3 days ago and did some 150 miles with gear change side standard for comparison. Weird I know but there was a real difference, pain in my left hip, otherside easy.

John I do a have a small problem however, where my feet naturally position themselves I need the controls at their lowest posible position. :huh2: This is no problem with the brake side but set in the ideal location the gear change lever meets the 'pork chop'. I have relieved a little meat from the underside of the lever to get my ideal position and a clean change.

BTW I foolishly mentioned polishing some of the components, :doh: there is of course no need, I had not realised the gear pedal was a fine cast finish exactly as the original. That is absolutely fine. I found fitting the gear side a little fiddlely but like all these things if I had to do it a second time it would be a far quicker job.

Also the kit a supplied is EXCELLENT with all the required parts supplied with proper fit and finish. Top job John, all I need from you now is a centre stand of the same quality. :bier: