2002 Scura vs 2007 Griso

st. augustine

Yesterday I spent the day at Daytona test riding various models (bmw k1200s, bmw k1200rs, Griso). After riding the Griso, I got on my Scura and rode the 50 miles back home. I am so totally pumped on how well the Scura is running (got 30K miles on it), that I wouldn't trade for the Griso. Sure the Griso has a lot of nice plastic (that doesn't compare to my Carbon Fiber IMO), Sure it goes into first gear without a clunk (just like dipping "it" in to a bucket of lard), Sure it has a little less vibration....but damn, where is the soul? I'll have to admit that Ti pipes on the Scura add to sensory impact, but even with that, running down the interstate in the 5000 to 6000 rpm range (just a little over the speed limit, officer) there is no question of LIFE! I just didn't get that rush from the Griso (no disrespect intended for Griso owners...and to each his own).

Oh well, the misses is happy, she was afraid I was going to buy something while I was in Daytona.

BTW, some guys chased me down on the interstate in a brand new 3/4 Ton pick up truck just to give me the 'thumbs up/ cool bike/wish I had one' sign. I gave them the nod then left them in the dust....

Yesterday I spent the day at Daytona test riding various models (bmw k1200s, bmw k1200rs, Griso). After riding the Griso, I got on my Scura and rode the 50 miles back home. I am so totally pumped on how well the Scura is running (got 30K miles on it), that I wouldn't trade for the Griso. Sure the Griso has a lot of nice plastic (that doesn't compare to my Carbon Fiber IMO), Sure it goes into first gear without a clunk (just like dipping "it" in to a bucket of lard), Sure it has a little less vibration....but damn, where is the soul? I'll have to admit that Ti pipes on the Scura add to sensory impact, but even with that, running down the interstate in the 5000 to 6000 rpm range (just a little over the speed limit, officer) there is no question of LIFE! I just didn't get that rush from the Griso (no disrespect intended for Griso owners...and to each his own).

Oh well, the misses is happy, she was afraid I was going to buy something while I was in Daytona.

BTW, some guys chased me down on the interstate in a brand new 3/4 Ton pick up truck just to give me the 'thumbs up/ cool bike/wish I had one' sign. I gave them the nod then left them in the dust....

Go the Scura :ninja::bier:

A lot of it is down to personal taste. I have to admit I was never a great fan of the V11 series, that isn't to say I don't like them, simply that I didn't like one enough to buy one.

I far preffer the Griso because it is, to me, more comfortable, it certainly has better suspension than the V11's at the back and considerably better than most of them have on the front and the overall package is much more refined and IMHO fun.

THat's NOT to say that the V11 series aren't on the whole good machines, If I had one it would have to be an early 'Short Frame, simply that I think that in most ways the Griso is superior and to me a much nicer package.

Incidentally, I went to visit Haywards this morning in Cambridge. I find it amazing when I go into bike shops and the people who work there describe the V11's as 'Old Stuff' :grin: . While I'm happy to accept bikes like my 'vert and SP probably fall into the 'Old Stuff' category an V11? Even the very oldes of them can only just have cracked a decade on the road. Shows the differences of attitude between the UK, (And probably the US?) and Oz I suppose. There again I don't really think of anything as 'Old Stuff' until it is irretrievably broken and/or you can't get/make parts for it any more :mg::grin::thumbsup:

Pete

In some respects, I would consider any Moto Guzzi made from about 1980 on to be old technology when sold new. Lets just say that they fit into the current retro mold very well, because they are in fact the real thing.

Ciao, Steve

V11 S Short Frame is the king of Guzzi's! Any color you like except of silver.

Then go all its derivatives like LeMans, Scura etc.

After that anything goes according to your individual taste, except cruisers and with some positive bias towards old V7.

Here then, I also registered my opinion.

Sure it goes into first gear without a clunk (just like dipping "it" in to a bucket of lard)

Hmmm...

I'm quite impressed with my Tenni's transmission.

More of a click than a clunk

:)

I love my 02' VllS. I got one of if not the last green/red units. Not a color everyone likes but it suits me fine. I do like the Griso and new Breva derived Sport but not enough to replace the V11S with one. I ride two other Guzzis I consider to be "old stuff". A 93' Cal III the last of its kind and a 81' V1000G5. I bought both new. The G5 is still my daily commuter rain or shine. With the passing of the V11 series it seems to me that this will only make them more desirable as time goes by as there are really not that many of them out there. I have bought all of my Guzzis over the years as new machines but that is just a very temporary state. For the time being I still see my Sport as the new kid on the block. It will be interesting to see how the "new stuff" sells and holds up over the next few years until it also is looked on as the "old stuff".