The Verdict Is In: Sasquatch Exists, Oil Filters Spin Off, And I'm

rocker59

It wasn't me who said anything about your plactic calipers. Nor was it me who criticized your efforts. I merely pointed out that you weren't kidding and trying to make others look ridiculous through your efforts.

Right, my response was to Gary Cheek.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gary Cheek @ Mar 24 2007, 12:50 PM)

"It isn't even hearsay when someone is stating his own opinions, data or conclusions" ....YES indeed IT IS hear-say, but it is still worth consideration. Just being hear-say does not mean it is untrue.

You may recall , early on I referred readers on another forum to your work here. You may also recall some of them threw aside your findings and chose instead to poke fun at what you paid for your filter samples. If you recall you received a lot of support from yours truly.

Nothing wrong with plastic calipers, used within their limits. Using them to measure within 1/1000 of an inch is a bit of a stretch. :huh2: BTW, I was not challenging or belittling your results. You have done a ton of excellent work. You yourself said it was time to move on. All I did was affirm what you, yourself said when someone suggested testing the Mobil 1 . Ya gotta loosen up a bit. Go back and re-read the post that seemed to have hurt your feelings. There was nothing there but a bit of friendly chiding. A few of your supporters have dished out far worse themselves often, haven't they? Their responses here were actually a bit of an over-reaction. I did not criticize your efforts as seems to be mis-stated by a certain .........

Nor did I.

Greg? He would NEVER do anything like that! :grin:

A lot of misinterpretations can happen when communications are only in writing, including mistaken identity! It seems I have sometimes read the implications the wrong way. Yes, I have a long memory and appreciate the clarifications and your kind words in the past and present.

As far as hearsay is concerned, I think it's semantics that divides us. As I understand it, hearsay is when someone is quoting someone else without them being present. The classic example is when someone testifies in court, "I heard him say ... ". That is inadmissable as evidence. (No, I'm not a lawyer.) Expressing a personal opinion is not hearsay. Opinions are acceptable as evidence if they are expressed by a qualified expert. I have been in that role.

BTW, I often enjoy a good laugh at my own expense, but tend to stick to the dry science when discussing technical issues on this Forum, precisely because of the written format. I think we would have a blast over a few beers.

java script:emoticon(':bier:', 'smid_12')

Guest Gary Cheek

You are correct regarding hear-say. I stand corrected. I was taking a bit too much license. Better to say much the same as "hear-say". Sometimes the fax'n figgers gits a bit dry. The "humor" may be unintentionally dry as well. Sorry for that too.

Cheers!

Oh...DL...Get a life <_<

I think we would have a blast over a few beers.

Now you are talking!

And when we are done we can stomp on the cans then wedge them between the trap door and filter and see if the filter will unscrew itself :lol::cheese:

"Did the oil change myself. Hand torqued, just like every other filter I've changed over the years... It had been on the bike for about 3,000 miles since the previous oil change..."

Mike - Sorry to hear about your Quota!

Sorry to be dense, but when you say the filter was "hand torqued" do you mean 1) You held the filter with your hand and tightened it, or 2) You used a torque wrench and tightened the filter to the recommended torque of 10-12 Nm (app. 7.5 - 9 Ft. lbs.)?

Jim

Jim,

I hope you're correct about those torque specs (7.5 - 9 ft. lbs.). I just changed my oil for the first time (used Motul 15w/50 syn) and I tightened the filter to 9 ft. lbs. I guess I'll see.

Thanks for the tech info.

Mike

Jim,

I hope you're correct about those torque specs (7.5 - 9 ft. lbs.). I just changed my oil for the first time (used Motul 15w/50 syn) and I tightened the filter to 9 ft. lbs. I guess I'll see.

Thanks for the tech info.

Mike

Check the FAQ on this subject. There's been much research on this subject in recent months. The consensus of several authorities and the conclusion of objective, quantifyable, analysis is that tightening by the turns method is more reliable than by torque.

• 5 months later...