The Verdict Is In: Sasquatch Exists, Oil Filters Spin Off, And I'm

rocker59

Guest ratchethack

Ratchet - you are talking out both sides of your mouth again.

In post 31 Gary states the moral of the story is "don't hand tighten". In post 32 you are quick to agree with him. Then in post 40 you state that you hand tighten yours and will continue to do so, while once again pushing your WallFart shite. We get it. There is a $2 option. :rolleyes:

Your sheeple are going to be confused by your flip-flopping. How ever will they get through their next oil change without a firm position from you on hand tightening. Better write a 1000 word essay. :P

Me, I'll spend my $2 on a hose clamp. Might even be able to get two.

Rj

Ryan, y'er a lovely, lovely man. Y'er gonna make some lucky special someone deliriously happy some day, I just know it. :whistle:

Thanks f'er y'er usual warmth in pointing out my mistake. I'd picked up on the "don't hand tighten UFI" and the "don't use UFI and don't worry about filters coming undone" parts in Gary's post, but completely missed the "don't hand tighten [anything]" part.

Why don't you bring a class action suit. Go f'er wotever damages you think y'er entitled. :wacko: My legal team will be expecting a call from y'er legal team and we'll get the ball rolling right away. <_<

D'you think this could be settled with a public retraction and a formal apology? :huh2:

Er, no, no........I reckon not.

See ya in court, my friend. ;)

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So,the moral is don't 'hand tighten" UFI filters! I don't hand tighten, don't use UFI and don't worry about filters coming undone. :huh2:

QUOTE(ratchethack @ Mar 14 2007, 08:51 PM)

Gary, I'm with you. IMHO this is the best overall conclusion that can be made from all o' this:

QUOTE(ratchethack @ Mar 15 2007, 04:41 PM)

This is just me, but I use "micro-accurate" wrist torque and stop twisting when the feedback resistance starts to spike up exponentially, and/or when I figure it's approaching (but not exceeding!) the torque point where I'm likely to hafta use a strap wrench, punched-thru screwdriver, chisel, or finally dynamite to git 'er off.

I'm not sure but I think Ryan is implying that "micro accurate" wrist torque is the same as hand tightening while at the same time you agree with Gary Cheeks statement about not hand tightening and not to use UFI filters.

Guest Gary Cheek

Goozer, ya hafta read awee bit mo carefly there. I didn't say not to use UFI filters I DID say "The moral is don't hand tighten". I further said I don't use UFI filters, indicating the UFI factor is ruled out in my case. ( I called a couple of my friends south of the border (Canada), ran this by them and they understood quite well.)

Just an inductive generalization. But it seems most if not all of the known reported loose filters are UFI. I also realize "hand tightening" is not a real consistent spec. No experience here with Wal-Mart filters, won't say either way on that Then again I have yet to see a photo of a self dis-connected Wal-Mart filter :huh2: . Use UFI til you find "something better" I think I already use something at LEAST as good and they even STAY ON. Filters that stay on are better in at least one way. Not blaming UFI at this point but there is room for concern.

However, I have absolutetly no concern over a loose filter on my bike . At this point I would rather not add a cheap hose clamp of the type that I HAVE seen fail and risk having loose clamp rattling about inside the engine.

Those who feel the need to use hose clamps on the UFI might want to consider safety wiring the entire clamp in anticipation of the clamp itself failing. The "worm gear" (screw in a semi-helix slotted strap) have a limited torque range. Too loose and the do not hold, too tight and they fall apart in use. While the filter is best tightend by the turn past contact method, the hose clamp should indeed see a torque wrench. Another factor to consider is the clamp also relies on the resiliency and compression of the rubber hose it was designed for.

The old "No-Hub" iron soil (used as a replacement for leaded joints in sewers) pipe used hose clamp over a rubber sleeve with a stainless wrapper. In order to pass a plumbing inspection the installer was required to use a pre-set torque wrench. The torque wrench spec was due to concern that most folks would OVERTIGHTEN the clamp. Once again it is up to the installer.

Goozer, ya hafta read awee bit mo carefly there. I didn't say not to use UFI filters

I am half Canadienne and half Amarikan, so I'll try to mediate:

I don't think anyone said you said not to use UFIs :huh2:

BadMotherGoozer was just pointing his problem with what Ratchet said, right?

I think what Ratchet said was technically consistent, but gave the impression of inconsistency.

:2c:

Maybe I should stay out of this :unsure:

Is Winter over yet?

Those who feel the need to use hose clamps on the UFI might want to consider safety wiring the entire clamp in anticipation of the clamp itself failing. The "worm gear" (screw in a semi-helix slotted strap) have a limited torque range. Too loose and the do not hold, too tight and they fall apart in use. While the filter is best tightend by the turn past contact method, the hose clamp should indeed see a torque wrench. Another factor to consider is the clamp also relies on the resiliency and compression of the rubber hose it was designed for.

The old "No-Hub" iron soil (used as a replacement for leaded joints in sewers) pipe used hose clamp over a rubber sleeve with a stainless wrapper. In order to pass a plumbing inspection the installer was required to use a pre-set torque wrench. The torque wrench spec was due to concern that most folks would OVERTIGHTEN the clamp. Once again it is up to the installer.

:stupid: Excellent post!

There has got to be a better alternative to the hose clamp.

Perhaps a clamp with a lock nut????

Guest Gary Cheek

That looks like it would work better on a Model A Ford exhaust connection.

I am half Canadienne and half Amarikan, so I'll try to mediate:

I don't think anyone said you said not to use UFIs :huh2:

BadMotherGoozer was just pointing his problem with what Ratchet said, right?

I think what Ratchet said was technically consistent, but gave the impression of inconsistency.

:2c:

Maybe I should stay out of this :unsure:

Is Winter over yet?

:stupid: Excellent post!

There has got to be a better alternative to the hose clamp.

Perhaps a clamp with a lock nut????

I would swear he did, perhaps a recent edit? From now on I will use quotes. If I bother at all.

The rational alternative to a hose clamp is a properly tightened, reliable filter.

Amarikan? :huh2: Never heard of em.

Amarikan? :huh2: Never heard of em.

The ar instead of the er is for Pirate, ahhrrrrr! Or maybe it is for the drawl. :huh2:

The K is for Kommie. Or maybe the ignorantz. :huh2:

Canadienne is my misspelling of Canadiene, as in the greatest hockey team that ever was, The Habs! :bier:

No, no edits from me. If I say it, it's said and there it is.

I was pointing out Ratchets agreeing with not hand tightening then going on to say he uses his "calibrated wrist" to hand tighten. Possibly THE most ridiculous thing he's said. But then he's a "do as I say, not as I do" kinda guy.

I am making no comment on wether or not to use UFI filters. I don't think there is enough information yet to condemn them but they are under suspicion. Yes, most, if not all, of our Known failures have been UFI's but I suspect that may have to do with 90% (est) of owners choosing to use them. Suspicion, yes, condemn... not yet. For me anyway. I've been using some black no name thing my dealer stocks. And I will be putting a hose clamp of some sort on it.

And for the record - I did NOT say anything bad about Americans! Crimey you guys are touchy! I said Californians.

Peace.

Rj

Goozer, ya hafta read awee bit mo carefly there. I didn't say not to use UFI filters

It was Ratchet (in post 46) who makes the assumption that you have condemned the use of UFI. What you said, and what I read, is that you, yourself, do not use the UFI filter.

cheers!

Rj

he uses his "calibrated wrist" to hand tighten. Rj

Maybe that is why it doesnt happen to the guys with carbed bikes- their wrists are so bloody strong from pulling 40mm dellortos they can do them up tighter than us limp wristed girly EFI riders.

Guy :helmet:

Guest ratchethack

. . .I was pointing out Ratchets agreeing with not hand tightening then going on to say he uses his "calibrated wrist" to hand tighten. Possibly THE most ridiculous thing he's said. But then he's a "do as I say, not as I do" kinda guy.

Ryan, by now we all have a pretty good idea wot a Prince of a Guy you must be. :P We're all certainly richly blessed by your knowledge, the breadth of your experience, the depth of your intelligence, and especially the warmth, the style, and the sheer radiance of your well-developed, uplifting and effervescent wit that you so selflessly bring to this Forum. :lol:

You, my friend, are without question a great inspiration to us all. :notworthy:

In fact, I suspect that like myself, many in the International Guzzi community have begun to wonder with great expectation if you might be an eligible bachelor who might be interested in meeting a beloved sister, or perhaps a favorite niece or precious daughter? I'm sure any of us would be most pleased and proud to see our favorite Gal bring YOU home to meet Mom & Dad. :grin:

I'm sure that many's the flowering young ingenue who'd consider the likes o' y'erself the ideal catch, too! Yes, indeed!

So are you available for dating? :huh2:

Enquiring minds just gotta know! :whistle:

Guest ratchethack

I hope he really does mean his sister and doesn't have some ulterior motive in mind!!

Why, Heli-Jim, if I were light in the loafers :wub: , I do b'lieve I'd be on that man like white on rice! Wouldn't you? :whistle:

Armageddon!

Fire and Brimstone!!!

Isn't this where asteroids come from? :moon::o