Adapting a set of bars onto a V11 sport

Guest Jaap

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

From this website I found some clamps that may offer a little more adjustabiliy, for or aft, for those going this route.

These are for 1-1/8" dirt bike bars such as ProTaper, Hebo, Domino, Renthal, etc.

Cheaper ones can be purchased that are not adjustable.

I am assuming the bolts on these are long enough to go all the way through our triple clamps, but I cannot be sure.

http://www.lewisportusa.com/parts_bars.htmbar_clamps_s.jpg

Those do look nice. I'm working from memory here (dangerous territory) but I think the top of the triple clamp isn't just flat- it has a relief in it. So if you use them, be sure and measure the length and make sure it will fit inside the valley on the upper clamp.

I just noticed yesterday that Spiegler-usa changed all the part numbers on the handlebars. They went from AN to ZN. Pretty easy to cross reference.

Cheers,

Jason

Yah, that is a problem, those will not fit in the valley but they may fit on the ridges.

With that uncertainty, the best routed would be to rubber mount them to reduce vibration and let them float them on a slab of rubber, over the valley.

But this would also require bolt sleeves and a rubber washer on the back side, in which case the bolts are not long enough. Drat!

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

This may be slightly off topic but can these 'raised handlebars' be easily reconverted to standard bars? I'm going to look at a V11 sport at the weekend that has 'raised bars' but don't want them basically. It says that you need to drill the yoke to fit them so I'm guessing to revert it to standard you need a new yolk. How much are those?

Cheers

I suppose you could just unbolt them from the yoke and plug the holes if you don't like seeing them.

The greater expense would be replacing the clip-ons unless they are included with the bike.

EDIT: I thought about this and wondered-what year is the sport you're going to look at? The early ones had clip-ons and the later were fitted with handlebars like pictured above.

Hi, thanks for the info. Its a 2001 model and has been 'converted' to raised bars. Unfortunately the previous owner converted it and the present owner doesn't have the original parts. Its a pity cause I was looking for a standard bike. Apart from this it is standard. :D

• 2 months later...

I just put handle bars on my 2000 V11 Sport. It was super easy! I went to the motor cycle junk yard, $45 bought some used bar mounts, don't know what they came off? I then took off the top triple clamp and took it down to the machine shop, $65 to have the holes bored in the triple. Then bought some black super bike bars from Chaparral for $13. I then dremmeled off the plastic locating pins on the switch gear, leave a little bump and they will tighten down perfect, pull the head light and mount away from the fork to reroute the right hand cables and lines, no need for this on the left. Put it all together and it is sweet and comfy!

So for about $123 usd it's done. Have a buddy provide an extra set of helping hands, makes it a lot easier.

You might find someone on the board who would trade parts with you or have a set of early clip-ons they have taken off.

I have a set of stock clip-ons I just took off my 2000 V11 Sport that I would part with. Good stock condition, complete with factory screw in bar weights and all. If you'd like to make me an offer, please email me at : gary.gman66@gmail.com

I've had 2 back surgeries so I know I won't be needing them again... :)