Matching up an BMW R90S fairing to a Moto Guzzi V1

Guest Jaap

Sorry that I did not document it.

I installed the larger of the two fairings from Airtech Streamlining.

I got a smoked shield for it from Zero Gravity.

The larger fairing should not need modification to fit, although mine ended up rubbing on the brake resevoir bracket, but no big deal.

My mounting was very simple:

1) Remove turn signals. You will have to think of where you want to remount them...

2) two brackets going from the turn signal extender mounts to the fairing. I used flat galvenized metal brackets designed for strapping 2x4s, 2x6, etc.

Theoretically a couple of turnbuckles would be perfect.

3)split a hose in half lengthwise to be a bead along the circumference of headlight port in the fairing. This cushions between the fairing and the chrome headlight bezel.

So the idea is to hold the fairing in tension against the headlight bezel using the turn signal mounts as the mounting points.

I drilled the holes in the bracket so that I would have to push the fairing firmly over the headlight in order to allign the bracket holes with the turn signal mounts.

The advantage of this install method is simplicity and a sturdy mount.

The disadvantage is that the fairing aims with the headlight, so it may aim lower than you might have it otherwise.

If I had not crashed, I would share pictures.

It was painted a dark hammerite metallic grey to contrast the silver and the dark smoked shield was fastened on with Lockhart Phillips aluminum bolts and nuts. Very light weight, but a tendency to strip threads. I recommend using two nuts for every bolt and torque finger tight to not strip.

I did not go with the dash option. I don't think there is much room for it with this method.

I cut out most of the dash- that's about the worst looking part of it, since it looks somewhat unfinished. I trimmed a minimum amount out to fit around the inst. cluster, but someday, I'll go in and trim out the rest.

I used nylon screws and nuts. They strip out pretty easily also, but I didn't want to use metal on the fiberglass and plexiglass. Nylon has the nice behaviour of self-locking, so I don't need to worry about them backing off. Unfortunately, all I had were white screws, so I took a marks-a-lot to them so they'd match. :luigi:

Quality is job one.

I'm sorry you crashed too. I bet your fairing looked cool- and I like the alternative mounting options.

Thanks for posting it, Jaap :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Jason

• 10 months later...

I generally used Jason's guidelines, but I removed the inner dash from a R100S fairing I bought used off a friend. I drilled out the copper rivets and made a gasket between the windshield and fairing with a strip of rubber. I attached the windshield to the fairing with nylon bolts. I used the existing BMW bracketry and made extensions of anodized AL 3/4" bar stock (Home Depot) to reach the headlight pivot bolts and the threaded (mirror?) mounts on the clutch lever and brake lever mounts. Without the inner dash, it fits well around the instruments, but there is some vibration only at idle. It doesn't bother me or affect the fairing adversely.

Let me say that this fairing looks great, is affordable, repairable, and highly functional and comfortable to ride behind. It's a great match for the Sport. I think its the best solution. Thank Jason for pioneering this now-standard accessory.

Unfortunately, I crashed on Sunday and scraped up my fairing's front right side and cracked it a bit. Now that I have a digital camera, I may also post some pics as I put it back together, if there is interest out there. Thank God I had not bought the Magni fairing.

(I was cut off by a car who panicked when he found himself in a turn lane. I would have been fine, if not for the large, freshly painted arrows in my lane. I lost front wheel traction on the painted surface, locked up my front tire, and went down in an instant on my right side at about 20 mph. I am fine, with a bruised heel and pulled foot ligaments, and the bike had only minor damage. ) This is my welcome back to NY, and I'm in serious trouble with my wife, who doesn't want me riding in the city, and now thinks that motorcycling and parenthood don't mix. This happened in the suburbs, though, so you all be careful. (The guy who cut me off raced off to I-95. I was in no frame of mind to get his license plate.)

All the bike's painted surfaces are intact - the fairing sustained the worst damage by far, saving my headlight, clip-ons, master cylinder, and who knows what other precious and unobtainium Guzzi parts. My right CF Mistral can has a chunk ground out of the metal skirt where it attaches to the pipe. It survived, and I think I can keep it, and make some cosmetic repairs. One of my Buell turnsignal lenses also got crunched. The fairing cost me $50 and the Zero Gravity windshield is unscathed. Another reason to use these fairings. I will probably do some fiberglass repair, sand it and repaint it again. (I was flat black to match the CF pipes and the rubber strip atop the tank.) I have also thought to use a repop '77 H-D Cafe Racer fairing: similar, but likely more expensive.

One last thing I discovered in my recent "research:" these bikes survive minor crashes WELL - the impact points are well-designed and protected the tank, fenders, and critical systems. I was able to ride off on one cylinder. (The fin guards on the engine are shit - get aftermarket if you want to protect the plug, head and plug wire.) That's my recently-acquired wisdom on the subject.

A couple other important details - my Tekno saddlebag mounts protected the tail section and also survived nearly intact, as did the Napoleon bar end mirrors. The whole combination really worked well to prevent more serious damage.

(The fin guards on the engine are shit - get aftermarket if you want to protect the plug, head and plug wire.)

I was looking at them the other day and thought the same thing... but who has ones that will protect? I have seen a few aftermarket ones but it is hard to tell from the picture what will work.

Rj

Guest ksann

Ray, sorry to hear of your fall.

But as you re-assemble, pics would be appreciated. I want to do this mod.

ken

• 3 weeks later...

I still haven't put it back together - I have yet to buy the fiberglas repair kit. I will post pics now that I have a digital camera.

I took the fairing off to repair it. I removed the inner dash when I fitted the fairing initially. Here are my brackets. I made extensions out of anodized alum bar stock to extend the BMW brackets. The interior of the BMW fairing has bosses that are tapped; I don't know if the Airtech fairings have these bosses.

DSCN0434.jpg

The top brackets mount to the mirror mounts on the handlebars, the bottom to the headlight mounts. This is the detail of how I mounted it to the handlebar.

DSCN0427.jpg

Here's my bike with the fairing installed - I have yet to repair it.

DSCN0432.JPG

And I used rubber grommets (Home Depot) where the brackets attach to the holes in the fairing, as well as on the L bracket attached to the upper fairing boss. I hope I am stating this all clearly.