1979 V1000 G5...anyone know anything about them?

NorBSATriGuzzi

First of the "1000" engines. Should have the long, California prop stand. Seems like a bargain to me - a friend just paid more than that for a same-age Convert in pieces. It does have only 620 miles on the clock, though.....

I have an oportunity to pick up a 1979 G5 for $2k. Are they as bullet proof as everyone says? What is a decent price for a 30,000 mile pretty good condition G5?

Thanks!

Hi , the G5 is a really nice machine.As mike says it has a unique side stand which actually works well compared to LM and standard T3 types. The foot peggs are also unique to this model as they put you further forward than standard pegs but you don't get the floor boards that the cali's had which I think look hideous.

It is quite possible that the liners were originall cast iron which was better than the crap chrome std to the smaller bores but nowhere near as good as nicsill wich is the biz. this bike may have them though.at the kind of money you are talking about I would say it is a really good deal depending on cosmetics (the finnish quality was not a strong point on guzzi's then either ...) and mechanicals.The price of these bikes seems to have crept up over the years as they are really reliable , very very usable and have lots of charm. Don't belive the stories about crap electrics either.... :bier:

PS the other really nice thing about these is you can mix and match the bits from 30 years of production . if you like the reto early seventies look all the body work stuff is there. If you like the last ( mid 90's ) imitation Jap plastic look those parts are available too. Keeping it original and on the road shouldn't be a big deal either.

Keep us posted !!!

They are great bikes- just ugly as sin. Chris is correct- they have cast iron liners. Shouldn't be a problem though- I got upwards of 300,000 miles out of mine. I now have an 81 model for my sidecar and an 82 model that I use for parts, but lots and lots of other Guzzi parts fit. I'm using a LM III tank here because it makes the bike go faster

sidecar2.jpg

I bought one new in 81 and it is still my daily work rider today. Great bike but like jrt says just plain ugly. Other Guzzis have come and gone from my stable but the homely old G5 is stll there. Its just so darn usable and economic to operate. Reliable, smooth and handy. A great all round bike that has tons of charm and is unique enough to stay interesting. At 2k its a bargan. I would not sell mine for that.

DCP_0093.jpg

They are great bikes- just ugly as sin. Chris is correct- they have cast iron liners. Shouldn't be a problem though- I got upwards of 300,000 miles out of mine. I now have an 81 model for my sidecar and an 82 model that I use for parts, but lots and lots of other Guzzi parts fit. I'm using a LM III tank here because it makes the bike go faster

sidecar2.jpg

Wow that is some mileage you got out of the bores !!!! :D

Love the sidecar set up : large wheel sidecars are the only real way to go and yours looks light too . I guess the G5 is just right for chair duty appart form the forks ??? your ergonomics look a bit extream !!!!! :grin:

your ergonomics look a bit extream !!!!! :grin:

Rollie Free, Baby!

The car originally came with a dinky trailer wheel- I took it off, turned a Guzzi wheel so it would accept trailer bearings, and voila- big-ass matching wheel. B)

I'm TRYING to order a set of leading link forks from Unit forks in the UK. I've had an order in for close to 6 months now... :bbblll: I may have to take my money elsewhere if they don't come through soon.

I've also got a set of sidecar gears in teh basement, along with a spare rear drive- eventually, I'll get around to putting them in, so I can improve my bottom end. Not that my bottom needs much improvement, I might add.

• 6 months later...
Sorry about bumping an old topic but....

I have an opportunity to get my hands on a V1000 G5 for really short money. I want to use this bike as a base for a Cafe bike project. Is this bike a reasonable base for that?

Doug

Yes. You can mix & match most all the big block Guzzi parts.

KB :sun:

Well I went ahead and bought the G5. I got what I think is a great deal on it. 700 bucks. It's been sitting for a few years and needs some serious restoration, paint, polish etc, but I think it will be a good platform for a Cafe'. From what I can tell by quickly going over it, it needs the forks rebuilt, the calipers rebuilt, the carbs rebuilt, etc, etc. This will become the wife's bike when done. I'll post pics during the progress. The bike previously had a gigantic fairing, a king/queen saddle and a ridiculous back rest/rack. The guy I got it from thankfully stripped it all off. Here's a pic of it without the seat, headlight bucket etc. At any rate, I'm gonna be busy this winter.... :P

Picture_001__640_x_480_.jpg

post-2428-1193662295_thumb.jpgHi all,

I've just be given an old Mille for free, that had been left unused for some years from a relative.

I'm not a great fan of the mille looks and am going to also make it into a cafe racer project.

Have stripped it down, took the heads and barrels off and they are in great condition, as new, the bike has only 24000 miles on the clock, though two of the cam followers has slight pitting on the surface; cams are fine.

Have scoured the internet for images of guzzi cafe racers which has given me some ideas.

Does anyone know any good forums that specialize more on tonti frame projects, or any suggestions on converting a mille and things to look out for that might be unique to this model.

cheers