The zert from hell

Guest jimjib

Guest jimjib

How in gods name can you get to the grease zert on upper u-joint? Bottom two (nearest the wheel) no problem but I can see no way to get to the upper one. Makes you want to kill some freaking engineer.

Guest jimjib

The only way I can see to do it...is to try to drill an access hole in the cover. The only problem with that is that you cant get a straight run at it...and I can see making muck of it real easy. Anyone done this yet?

Guest tmartin

Take the bolt out that holds the rear shock to the swing arm. This will allow the swing arm to drop down. Turn the drive shaft until the grease fitting is facing the top of the shaft. You will have to use a mirror and flashlight to see it. Snake your flexable rubber grease gun hose on top of the drive shaft and using needle nose pliers slide the hose onto the grease fitting and hold it there while you pump grease into the fitting. When you go for a ride all the extra grease will get flung all over the place but you can put some masking tape agound the U-joint and save your self a great deal of clean up. Hope this helps.

That would explain why all of the screws to

my right sidecover were missing after the initial service.

I guess I can assume that the greasing was accomplished

somehow. The damn screws are $13 each though. Luckily

have a slew of old phillips head screws that fit.

Guest jimjib

Tmartin...not to doubt you but have you actually done this? I heard about this procedure but after eyeballing it, I didnt think dropping the swingarm an inch or two would gain me better access.

Guest Oliver

Hi Jimjib,

WHY do you want to do this greasing job ?

On all my Guzzis I only grease the u-joint when I put the rear wheel off for a new tire (every ~ 8.000 km). Greasing the joint is an easy job then and it is more often than suggested by Moto Guzzi (inspection plan = every 20.000 Km).

There is really no need for shorter greasing intervals. So ... don't break your fingers and enjoy riding instead.

Greetings from Hamburg, Germany

• 4 weeks later...

After taking the rear wheel off remove the upper bolt on the rear end. Then you can remove the rear end with one half of the drive shaft. Your drive shaft should have marks where it splits at the splines. If not mark it before you split it. It is very important that it be reassembled in the same position. Timing of the 2 u joints is critical. Also, be careful not to put the weight of the rear end on the U joints durring the process.

You can then have much easier access to the front zert.

Hank

http://www.corywest.com/