Bevel drive leak with Shockprof heavy

Guest Nigelstephens

Guest Nigelstephens

I put in Redline SPH a couple of weeks ago and now the bevel drive is starting leak oil.

I have burped the unit when hot but it still leaks.

You guzziests who have had this problem will no doubt know exactly my course of action!

If I were to replace the main seal (large one near wheel) where the oil is coming from is this likely to stop the leak or do I need to fit a vent and long piece of tube?

Guest ratchethack

Nige, sometimes a bike with seals that have been conditioned over many years with certain kinds of seal conditioning additives in the lube doesn't like to make a change. It could be the seals have contracted slightly as a response to the new stuff. Worst case, you could always go back to wot you had in there before.

IMHO RLSH is SO superior to most other lubes, however, that I'd prefer to replace a seal or 2 (or all) to doing this. YMMV.

As long as it's seeping, I'm not at all sure that a breather vent line up under the seat area would be any better than a clear breather -- and it might be worse, providing a tiny bit of back-pressure. Are you sure the breather isn't blocked? :huh2:

I have the same problem :(

Tried replacing shockproof with dinosaur lube, and problem got even worse.

Replaced both seals, but problem returned.

I read on Greg Bender's site that getting the seal in backwards will not seal correctly, so I may have gotten it in backwards :homer:

Greg Bender was writing about loop frames, if that makes a difference

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/loo..._rear_drive.htm

Need to get off my lazy rump and fix before Arizona rally :grin:

No leaks at all at lower speeds up to 80km/h no matter the time

Same here. Leak may not start till about 100km/h or even faster.

Leak greatly increases as speed increases.

I suppose I could ride within the speed limit :not:

Leak greatly increases as speed increases.

I suppose I could ride within the speed limit :not:

Have not noticed that, but a steady leak ,not increasing as speed increases(i.e regardless the km/h it is the same), and that's quite small,when at traveling

Guest Nigelstephens

I noticed that my leak arrives on the rim in only one place. That means that there must be an irregularity on the rotating part. Now that is interesting.

I noticed that my leak arrives on the rim in only one place. That means that there must be an irregularity on the rotating part. Now that is interesting.

Interesting :nerd: Mine sprays to every spot along the circumference of the right side of the wheel, but it is much heavier in one 60º quadrant of the wheel. At first I thought it was from the lube collecting when resting, but after cleaning and going for a ride, it is pretty clear that the leak is coming from one place.

Maybe a seam or crack :huh2:

There is some rusting of the metal near the large gasket....I hope rusted or damaged metal is not the problem....but I guess that is better than a crack.

• 1 month later...

I recently overhauled the bevel box on my V11 Sport. I filled it with RedLine shockproof heavy and have ridden for about 600 miles with no problems. I recently rode a 200 mile round trip , but half way I stopped to check my tires after hitting a rock! :homer: I noticed oil had leaked out of the drive box via the input shaft seal. I managed to get to a Halfords to get some more oil, as I had no idea if there was any in it at that time! I topped it up, with very little required, and so far, after about 70 to 100 miles i have not seen much leakage. Did anyone discover why we somtimes get some oil leaking. I suspect I overfilled the box to start with - I did get some leakage through ther breather after I filled box and put the bike back on the road - and when it got warm to blew trough the seal.

Or, there is a collar which is behind the nut which holds all the input shaft gubbins together. I tried to order a new one when I overhauled the box, but it never came so I used the old one. I wonder if this collar is worn? I found on my BSA that oil seals can wear a groove in rotating shafts, I've had to replace the main and lay shafts in the gearbox beacuse of this.

I plan to have a ride out to Brooklands for the centinary run this weekend so I will check it again then.

:thumbsup:

Perhaps it is not a leak?

Your wheel may have a beauty spot! :grin:

Nige. :blush:

• 2 months later...

Interesting :nerd: Mine sprays to every spot along the circumference of the right side of the wheel,

Hi,

I think I have the same problem. I changed tyres (M3s) and afterwards I went for a long ride with my V11 Le Mans. Actually it was my fisrt long ride since I bought the motorcycle. When I stopped to drink sth, after several miles, I noticed some spots (grease or oil?) on the right side of the wheel (not on the tyres). I wipped it out with a cloth and after 80 miles I stopped to check the wheel and the spots were there again...

What do you think is the problem? What should I do? From where to start?

I will post a pic as soon as possible..

Thank you!

Dimitris

Geeeze...shut up about leaks you guys.....

Your giving me cooties....

35Kmi and not a drop...knock knock knock on wood.

(It did have the weeping oil sensor leak but it submitted to my feelie meelie torquing.

Dry as a bone the last 5K or so.)

David--Sounds like you may have corrosion on the ring gear sealing surface that's chewing the big seal. Not surprising as you're near the Pacific. The seal mating surface should be shiny clean.

Mine is better now, I think...

The first seal that went was the big one. But just to be sure I replaced the small seal, but I put it in backwards so it leaked, then I flipped it around but when I drove the bearing home I crushed it, so it leaked. I then got another seal and asked the forum how to install but nobody answered, so I drove the bearing in part way assuming that when bolted down it would drive it in "just enough" and it seemed to work. But something is getting on the tire that looks like rubber dust. I thought it might be cush rubber but others doubt it.

One nice thing about redline SP heavy is the tell tale red color. For me it is now gone.

Good thing those seals are cheap, and I am glad the sealing surface is not corroding, although near the big seal there is some rust. :(