'00 Speedo woes

Guest bassguy1111

Guest bassguy1111

It's not that this horse hasn't been beaten enough; it's just that now this issue has become personal.

Picked up a nice '00 V11 in the Bay Area and rode it back to LA last month. After about 400 miles the speedo went away and I eventually traced the problem to the cable drive gear at the transmission. Went to Guzzi Classics today and picked up a new drive gear. It lasted 30.4 miles.

When I had the dash apart the first time, I removed and greased the cable. The worm gear on the old drive had flattened out across the threads. Is this a kinked cable issue?? The speedo seems to turn freely and the attached drive gear at the speedo operates smoothly. Is there a specific cable routing solution that solves this?

I really don't want to keep shelling out 55 bucks every time the thing kacks. (and I'd like to avoid using the bike speedo) HELP!!

Guest ratchethack

Sounds like you've got a bead on the problem to me, BG. I'd have the tank off and look carefully for something other than the most gradual curve it can possibly have and correct anything different. As I recall, the tightest curve on it is the curve it makes to get under the lower TB stay. From there it just follows along the left-hand of the spine frame. :ninja:

If you can detach the cable from the tranny and turn the cable by hand with relative ease, then the problem is likely elsewhere.

A few of us have had a problem where the fitting at the bottom of the cable pushes away if the cable does not insert properly into the tranny.

But the consequences of that are simply no speedo activity. The consequences not stripped worm gear splines.

My guess is that your cable drive at the tranny was not put in correctly or something in there is missing or in the wrong place...

I recently had hell of a time trying to figure out why my speedo had quit working. The angle drive was replaced & I was thinking of replacing the cable too even though it all seemed to work fine when taken apart. The problem was that when I put it back together I put the angle drive parallel with the transmission. I figured out that the angle drive needed to be turned toward the transmission to keep the cable from pulling out of the angle drive mechanism. It was really frustrating because it would work for a mile or so & then "poof" no more. Ever since I turned the angle drive toward the trans it has worked perfectly. I know you have some damage to the gear but maybe this information will help anyway.

Guest bassguy1111

Thanks for the replies. Definitely helpful info. I'll order the new cable drive and hopefully the suggestions made will keep me from destroying it!

Thanks again. Will keep you'all posted.