'03 versus '02 Front Suspension

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ahhh, I guess it got "lost" in the discussion about your friend's Paoli forks :rolleyes:

My "jury is still out" until I also hear from Mike Stewart and how well the Lindeman Engineering tweaked OEM forks on his '00 V11 compare with the Ohlins on his new Corsa. I hear he may be finally getting the bike back from the shop, so he can give us his impressions of both :thumbsup:

thx!

al

Fork lenght is allways maximum extended. Tne 2001 le mans forks I have here are 760 mm long, with clipons mounted on the triple clamp. But that year the frame was modified at the stearing head, to make it longer. So before that the forks were also 760mm. The clipons make the forks 20mm above the clamps.

So 700mm forks are to short I think, 730 will go, just a bit on it's nose.

Does anyone know the length(specs) on the Showas that are coming on the Ducati 749/999 bikes? These look like excellent forks, and I'm seeing a lot of "take offs" where guys are replacing them with Ohlins.

These forks look like they are really a nice kit, and I have to suspect that unless these Ducati folks are replacing them with Ohlins "superbike" versus "R/T" versions, they probably aren't really getting much extra from the 'upgrade' :rolleyes:

Anyway, I already know they are 43mm, which can be addressed, but I wonder what their length is, and if our calipers and fender will attach without modification??

al

An example: Don't go stealin' the forks I'm looking at! *laugh* :P

Al, what you'll also need is a triple clamp. Fender doen't fit, need a ducati fender.

Duc forks are 730 long.

With triple clamp it's more expensive than a fiting ohlins that fits the guzzi tripleclamp.. I yesterday got a mail from the guy if I needed another ohlins, so take your chance now .

With the scura ohlins you'll also need a fender, look at the scura pictures, that's different. I think a aprilia rsv fender will fit.

I yesterday got a mail from the guy if I needed another ohlins, so take your chance now .

...you're talking about the fella that wanted 1200 Euro for these Ohlins correct? If so, that just barely blows my budget right now :P

Just double-checking... if it's actually cheaper, let me know...

Do you know which Ohlins model# this is that he has so that we can cite it in a FAQ for those that might be interested in the future??

al

BTW, the fella I just spoke to that had the forks said they measured about 30.5 inches lying on the floor. They are 43mm sliders, with 53mm clamping areas. The 30.5 inch length comes out to about 770mm. And I believe you stated that we needed 760mm for the LeMans. Does what he quoted sound correct? :huh2:

I guess to simplify this, I need to boil the following down to one FAQ/post so others interested in this can figure out what will fit more easily.

- upper triple diameter

- lower triple diameter

- OEM clip-on diameter(should be the same as upper triple)

- free length...top cap to center axle

- axle diameter

- caliper bolt spacing

- Will the stock fender fit(how do we determine that by measurements/technically?)

We should try to put this together for both '00->'02 bikes, and for '03 forward.

Final question, if one does get a fork that has a larger diameter axle, for example such as is found on 2003+ bikes, can one simply change out the front bearing/axle to the correct diameter, or does one have to get a new wheel as well?

al

BTW, the fella I just spoke to that had the forks said they measured about 30.5 inches lying on the floor. They are 43mm sliders, with 53mm clamping areas. The 30.5 inch length comes out to about 770mm. And I believe you stated that we needed 760mm for the LeMans. Does what he quoted sound correct?

Is that messured from top clamping area to the center of the axle??

The diameter Guzzi uses comes from using WP forks in the centauro/daytonaRS range. They are 54mm clamp size, and Guzzi still uses the same tripple clamps.

So using forks with a uppper and lower clamp of 54mm is the easyest way to go. All WP forks have that I believe. All modern sport bikes have a lower clamp thats thicker, and a smaller top size. I you think about making a duc clamp fit, be warned, the steering pin is 25mm on a guzzi, and more on a diuc. Also the lenght won't fit. So if you have no connections to someone who can make a new steering pin: You're in trouble. Buying an aftermarket trippleclamp isn't going to work, look nice, price very expensive, and normaly won't fit.

- upper triple diameter 54mm

- lower triple diameter 54mm

- OEM clip-on diameter(should be the same as upper triple) 54mm

- free length...top cap to center axle 760

- axle diameter = on modern forks 25mm, with one side 30mm that goes to the bearing.

- caliper bolt spacing is nice with 65mm

- Will the stock fender fit(how do we determine that by measurements/technically?)

Stock fender won't fit, unless you have forks with WP sizes. That means, there should be 2 holes near the axle in the front. New fender can be of a scura, or aprilia RSV.

We should try to put this together for both '00->'02 bikes, and for '03 forward.

No difference for the models in fitting I think.

Final question, if one does get a fork that has a larger diameter axle, for example such as is found on 2003+ bikes, can one simply change out the front bearing/axle to the correct diameter, or does one have to get a new wheel as well?

The bearing in the v11 wheel is dimensioned large(52mm), so putting a bigger axle in is no problem. I only made spacers new. In fact the outer bearing size for a 998 wheel is much smaller(47mm).

BTW, the fella I just spoke to that had the forks said they measured about 30.5 inches lying on the floor. They are 43mm sliders, with 53mm clamping areas. The 30.5 inch length comes out to about 770mm. And I believe you stated that we needed 760mm for the LeMans. Does what he quoted sound correct?

Is that messured from top clamping area to the center of the axle??

Excellent question, and to be honest I'm not certain. Based on my quick conversation, I think he probably measured from the top of the crown to the bottom of the fork, not to the center of the axle. And the forks are lying on the floor, fully extended, with no load. So I suspect one can take another 10mm off of the length at least.

I'll try to clarify. In the meantime, maybe someone knows the dimensions/specs of these forks more specifically? The Ducati website seemed a little light on the details.

Thanks Paul :thumbsup: ....it's especially good to hear/know that the specs for the '00->current triples, and clip-ons for the Sport/LeMans didn't change even though MG went to 43mm sliders. That simplifies things immensely for owners.

al

I think most Ducati forks are on the short side compared with the Guzzi. I just measured my Aprilia Falco and the forks are 735 mm. from top to center of the axle. The fork diameter at the triple clamps are 53mm. The Falco uses the same fork as the Mille and if you happen to come across a set of Ohlins for the Aprilia the fork diameters change to 51 or 52 mm upper triple clamp and like 56mm for the lower triple clamp. The Aprilia Ohlins fork would be hard to mount with out replacing the triple clamps. The front fender appears to be the same as the Rosso.

Mike

Hy there

On the G&B SuperTwin the standard fork is a Paioli.

From wheel axle to top 735 mm, setting for compression rebound etc etc ...

I have tryed a v11 2000 with this fork instead of the Marzocchi one, and the feeling was real different, really better in fact :bike:

Like on this v11

By the way , my paioli fork is still to sold complete with triple clamp, wheel axle .

Mail me if interested. The fork

The ohlins Superbike fork is a 730 mm, fork diameters 53 mm. adjustable stroke to made settings easier ... :blush:

Perfect if i can find the settings :luigi:

For all the Ducati fork notice that they are 52 mm diameters only

so you need a new triple clamp !

It is also the case of the 749/999 forks.

:mg: