'03 versus '02 Front Suspension

:homer: The Monster forks measure 27.5 inches from the center of the axle to the top of the forks. The 00 and 01 V11 Sport measures 28.5 inches from the same points. Now the newer bikes with the clipons mounted above the tripleclamps measure almost 30 inches. I could see using the Monster fork on the 00 and 01 bikes but not the 02's and newer.

Mike

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Monster forks measure 27.5 inches from the center of the axle to the top of the forks. The 00 and 01 V11 Sport measures 28.5 inches from the same points.

This is mounted an the bike with the fork compress 35 mm or so by the weight of the

bike I presume.

Agreed that lowering more than 30mm (just over an inch) would probably be too radical.

Lowering the back-end to compansate would be a possibility,

problem is that the stock rear shock on the V11s is quiet short (one of the shortest

in the Öhlins catalogue) so finding a good shock which is a little bit shorter could be

hard. Buying a new expensive shock and cutting the feather a bit is not an attractive

alternative.

Fork lenght is allways maximum extended. Tne 2001 le mans forks I have here are 760 mm long, with clipons mounted on the triple clamp. But that year the frame was modified at the stearing head, to make it longer. So before that the forks were also 760mm. The clipons make the forks 20mm above the clamps.

So 700mm forks are to short I think, 730 will go, just a bit on it's nose.

Paul,

any tips about how to lower the back an inch or so,

besides cutting the feather slightly. :luigi:

BTW, (hurry, hurry, 24 hours left) there is an 730mm Öhlins

for sale on the british Ebay if anyone needs one. It's from a Aprilia MilleR which AFAIK also

730mm and Brembo caliper mountings.

I am quiet happy with my Marzocchi for now since I was

out driving and fiddling with the suspension settings today.

The fun roads around here are very bumpy so I loosened

up the settings quiet a bit before I was happy.

Lowering the back??, I see no point in doing that. If you want to lower 30mm , the shoch only needs 15 mm shorter, because the 1:2 lenght. MAybe change the top mounting point, another hole?

I just bought ohlins forks. new, from v11 scura.

Lowering to compensate for a shorter fork, to keep to geometry.

An inch lower seat height would be nice when riding in town. :rasta:

I think I'll drop the fork an inch through the yokes some day

just to get the feeling of a 730mm fork :luigi:

OK,

next Q:

04.jpg

it says (on www.ghezzi-brian.com):

" Eccentric adjustable steering bearing, Rake reduction: 1 degree"

I don't see have they could be adjustable, any clues?

Can I mount them backwards to increase the rake a bit?

I just bought ohlins forks. new, from v11 scura.

What I want to know, is where Paul keeps getting these good deals on salvage/used V11 parts B)

al

On the internet, Google rules!

And I going to pick them up (one fork for me too!) in Italy during my holiday over there.

hrmmm, I scan eBay almost daily for Guzzi stuff.... haven't seen any forks. Must not be on the USA eBay site.

eeeeenteresting.

So, it seems that there are more used parts of this type available in Europe than here in the USA... no surprise :rolleyes: Anyway, Jaap/Paul... if you come across another set of used Ohlins in good condition from a V11 that will work on the LeMans, lemme know.

al

Well Al,

I told the whole forum about these forks, 2 month ago, wenn the discussion was about forks, but nobody was interested, so I decided to contact the guy myself. He has 2 new ohlins forks, just the size to slip into a V11. 770mm long. Couldn't resist. His friend has 3 pairs for sale too, but these are 1200 euro. So if you are interested, Jaap maybe can pick them up? Or I ask the friends email, and you arrange it yourself.

Thes forks were advertized on many places on the internet, www.moto.it, the classifieds page from guzzisti.it. Good source for me is also www.mobile.de , living 50 km from the german border. But ebay is also a good source, only sometimes things go too expensive. Sometimes Ohlins on ebay go for nearly new price.

I don't see have they could be adjustable, any clues?

Can I mount them backwards to increase the rake a bit?

Nothing adjustable, you can change indeed the way to mount and add degree to the rake. I have them for 6 years now. You only have to look good that the excentric ring is mounted right, ie: the thinyest part exact facing back- or in your case frontwards. :-)

I wonder how the Ohlins rate against the WP's that were installed on the Sport 1100i's? My personal, uncalibrated, seat-of-the-pants feel is that the WP's on my Sport 1100i are more supple than the stock suspension on the V11 Sport. I put a few miles (too few) on the V11 Sport Corsa at the National and couldn't determine if the Ohlins were better simply because the course and speeds didn't exercise the Ohlins enough to make an observation. Drat!

Well Al,

I told the whole forum about these forks, 2 month ago, wenn the discussion was about forks, but nobody was interested, so I decided to contact the guy myself. He has 2 new ohlins forks, just the size to slip into a V11. 770mm long. Couldn't resist. His friend has 3 pairs for sale too, but these are 1200 euro. So if you are interested, Jaap maybe can pick them up? Or I ask the friends email, and you arrange it yourself.

Thes forks were advertized on many places on the internet, www.moto.it, the classifieds page from guzzisti.it. Good source for me is also www.mobile.de , living 50 km from the german border. But ebay is also a good source, only sometimes things go too expensive. Sometimes Ohlins on ebay go for nearly new price.

...really?? Hrmm, I guess I must have missed that post Paul, apologies :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tips, but I don't/can't really keep an eye on the Italian, German, or Dutch sites as I don't speak the language. So any "heads-up" you guys in Euro-land can give us when a good deal shows up is greatly appreciated.

1200Euro seems like a good deal, although I'm not sure I have that lying aroud right this min :rolleyes: ...tempting.

Sure, forward me the fella's email and I'll mull it over...

thx!

al