Cleaned up rear end with stock lights

JoeV11

I always hated the look of that government mandated rear fender, figured the Italian designers had something else in mind. Being Italian myself, I took a shot at it. The big self-imposed challenge was to reuse the stock lights, so I wouldn't cause any electrical problems. I also made it out of metal, not fiberglass. I saw a bike where they just hacked the end off and it looked like someone just hacked the end off. I had something a lot smaller in mind. So with cardboard and scissors I made a template. Then steel and bodywork led to the final product. I reused the stock splash guard to keep water out of the seat and wiring. I think it does nicely, and shouldn't cause any problems in case I run into an overenthusiastic law enforcement person. :P

Here are the pictures of progress and final installation. Between that and removing the front turn signal spacers, the bike is much cleaner looking, and still 99% legal.

Joe

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. :grin: I was going back and forth with that, and I think I will put the factory relector back on below the plate. I'll put the original black metal plate behind the license plate to mount it. Probably not a bad idea to have some reflective surface back there, even as small as it is. Joe

I really love the end result! Good work! (in good v11lemans.com habit: when will you start taking orders?... :))

LOL! Not counting the day lost to repaint it because I wasn't satisfied, it still took me 20+ hours to make and install this! Too much labor, and I'd want to make some improvements. Also, you'd have to drill holes in the tail light to put a clear lens to shine on the plate.

PS, How much do you think people would pay? ;)

... I think I will put the factory relector back on below the plate. I'll put the original black metal plate behind the license plate to mount it...

Here's a picture with the reflector installed. I forgot to take one in daylight today. It also gives it a more finished look, not seeing the back of the plate. Joe

Joe:

Nice job. The otherwise-identical lens from the B750 (I think that's the model) has a clear window for the plate light. If your local supplier does not have them, we prob'ly do at Moto International. I'll be back at work there Tuesday if you need me to look up which model it cam off of. Wanna lend out the template?

Joe:

Nice job. The otherwise-identical lens from the B750 (I think that's the model) has a clear window for the plate light. If your local supplier does not have them, we prob'ly do at Moto International. I'll be back at work there Tuesday if you need me to look up which model it cam off of. Wanna lend out the template?

Thanks. I went to a local dealer today for an open house and asked about the B750, but all he knew was a Breva 750, and it had a much different looking tail light in the illustration. If you wouldn't mind, I'd like the corect model info. I'm going to a different dealer's open house in two weeks, and I can call to see if they can get one by then.

Thanks,

Joe

PS, I'll have to make up a new template, the original was not very accurate, and I had to fudge the metal part some.

The taillight lens I was refering to is the one from the Daytona. Guzzi sells it for about $30. We have it for $24.95. It has a clear window on the underside to light a license plate.

I tried to send you a PM, but your inbox is full. LOL

I made a new template with a CAD program, and can send it to you with dimensions. I wonder if there is a market for these things? Joe

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I tried to send you a PM, but your inbox is full. LOL

I made a new template with a CAD program, and can send it to you with dimensions. I wonder if there is a market for these things? Joe

I like what you've done better than any of the other rear end clean-ups I've seen. I think you've managed to maintain "the look" of what Guzzi was going for with the V11's...a look quite I like. ;)

...and yes, there is a market for "these things." It's at least a market of 1...me.