Duh..engine oil level inspection

Dirtybill

I thought I had this interpetation of the owner's manual correct, but.........

Is the engine oil level to be inspected with the dip stick screwed in all the way or just unscrewed?

The manual says "screwed up" :lol: which I originally thought meant screwed in but now I'm wondering. So far, I've just changed the oil and filter twice as often as recommended so I havent had to add any between oil changes.

Guest mcloutier

I just re-read my owners manual and noticed that it said the bike should be run for a couple of minutes before checking the oil. I was used to checking oil on my vehicles cold, so I thought I would mention it in case other people are doing it that way.

Guest gavin

The amount of oil the system holds after a few minutes run is the same every time, as is the level when upright - therefore to make life easier set your level according to the manual then leave overnight.

When all the oil has settled and the bike is on the side stand remove the dipstick, clean and check the level - then cut a notch on the plastic dipstick at the correct level.

In future the level can now be checked and set without faffing about running the engine or balancing it upright.

Can anybody see a problem with this???

If not why the hell can't the factory do it like this?

Guest Le Man

The facory could not do it like that because there is only one position when you say "upright" (bike is upright, right?). Now the side stand position is dependent on some factors, is the stand in a depression or on a rock for instance? A small change in the elevation of the stand foot could make a big change in the pan oil level. I mean..you and I can do this but for a factory to reccomend this procedure may be an error.

Mike