greasing the universal joint

gallo_se

Hi guys, I would like to grease the drive shaft myself cause i'm sick of having to go to the garage every time ( and btw I'm not sure they are doing it correctly anyway), so I read all the treads available, I think I got an idea about what I need to have and to do, but thereis one thing I did not find anywhere.

The shaft arm and the joints are covered with a mixture of dust and grease, should I clean them before greasing the nipples? if so, what product should I use?

thanks.

Yes, you should just clean the shaft with some rags, you only need to put 1 or 2 shots of grease into the 3 nipples or you can blow the seals on the uj joints, Isnt this job something like a 2 yearly or 12000 mile routine ( dont have the manual handy) :luigi:

Gary

Manual on my 1100iSport says every 2500-3000km or so except in traveling faster speeds , then at about 1500.

I recon they have changed it in the V11 manual , so that none knows the truth after that, :lol: .

I just do a regular grase every 4-5K km or so on my 1100i.

Just had the bright idea to check the owner's manual... :homer:

LUBRICATION OF THE SHAFT WITH DRIVE COUPLINGS

The vehicle has a transmission shaft equipped with lubricators. The lubrication procedure for the 3 points illustrated in the figure must be carried out every 12000 mi; or at least once every 2 years, if less distance has been covered. Type of lubricants to be used: To lubricate the cardanic transmissions, only use saponified greases with class 2 consistency lithium and 265/295 penetration. The dropping point must be about 180°C. The lubricants must not contain MOS2 additives.

Manual on my 1100iSport says every 2500-3000km or so except in traveling faster speeds , then at about 1500.

I recon they have changed it in the V11 manual , so that none knows the truth after that, :lol: .

I just do a regular grase every 4-5K km or so on my 1100i.

Yes, but the manual calls for 12000 miles or 2 years for the V11 Sport / LeMans...

I grease my U-joint every rear tire change.

"water proof" or "marine" greases are probably good choices.

I have just been using the Universal grease that came with my grease gun.

I wish it was more pretty, like that lovely red Redline ShockProof Heavy gear oil :grin:

I grease my U-joint every rear tire change.

"water proof" or "marine" greases are probably good choices.

I have just been using the Universal grease that came with my grease gun.

I wish it was more pretty, like that lovely red Redline ShockProof Heavy gear oil :grin:

I use MOBIL 1. It's red... :bier:

I was trying to find button head fittings to make it easier to get the grease gun on the fitting, but I have not found what I am looking for yet. Has anyone switched fittings?

Ryan

The lower mileage figure quoted was for the earlier spine frame bikes (Daytona 1000 & Carb Sport) which had no shock absorber in the drive train. Guzzi also specified changing the complete drive shaft at some ridiculously low mileage for the same reason. I guess with the experience gained from the V10/Daytona RS/Sporti they revised the figures to reflect better longevity on the units.

GJ

How do you know if you've blown a seal? I thought you listened for the sticky fart sound and stopped. Also, what is the best way of greasing the front fitting? I can't even see it. I've read that loosening the rear shock bolt and letting the swingarm drop carefully will let you access it, has anyone done this? Thanks.

VR6Dave