Tank Removal

GuzzBun

Sorry if this has been asked before, but if so I missed it! Got to remove the tank from my Scura - does it have to be drained first, or are the pressure and pump outlets self-closing? Perhaps a stupid question, but then I am a stupid bloke - so she says!

It's very important to make sure the tap is FULLY CLOSED! It can feel like it is but isn't & it'll p*** fuel everywhere! Trying to get the hose back on with petrol going everywhere is a very unpleasant experience I'd not wish to repeat...

Tap'll still drip a little fuel even when fully closed.

KB :sun:

Concur, my tap (port side) leaks even when closed...I push a rubber cap over it as soon as I remove the hose...the relief (to stbd) doesn't leak, but the line typically is full of gas. Don't forget the two vacuum lines up under the center of the tank. k

Thanks guys - got the tank off, and experienced all the symptoms you described <_>

(The reason for tank removal was to remove the Ohlins monoshock which is leaking)

A few more questions are generated:

1. The underside centre of the tank has two 'nipple-like' gizmos moulded into it, but there was nothing attached to them - I did find one black hose that looked as if it should have been attached to something in that area, but wasn't! Should there be anything connected to them? My bike is a June 2006 Scura.

2. The manual petrol cock wouldn't turn off fully by hand so I applied a wrench to it (gently!!!) and in so doing disturbed the union seal between the cock and the tank - so - I removed the cock unit and dismantled it - there's a horrible nylon washer which sits between the cock and the tank outlet, which is badly crushed. Can this nylon washer safely be replaced with a rubber 'O' ring or a suitable sized fibre washer, or must it be another nylon washer?

3. The nut which connects the cock to the tank unit is both right and left hand threaded - I puzzled over it for ages trying to decide how best to tighten it, but came away feeling confused and rather stupid - any hints on the correct way to tighten this joint?

4. I thought of buying a complete replacement petrol cock, and checked the V11 parts manual, but there's no sign of it in there. The Motomecca parts list shows only one likely item - 01105330 Fuel Tap V11 (Series 1) at £65.20p - is this the right part for a 2002 Scura?

Sorry for the barrage of questions - beers for answers :bier:

Thanks guys - got the tank off, and experienced all the symptoms you described <_>

(The reason for tank removal was to remove the Ohlins monoshock which is leaking)

A few more questions are generated:

1. The underside centre of the tank has two 'nipple-like' gizmos moulded into it, but there was nothing attached to them - I did find one black hose that looked as if it should have been attached to something in that area, but wasn't! Should there be anything connected to them? My bike is a June 2006 Scura.

2. The manual petrol cock wouldn't turn off fully by hand so I applied a wrench to it (gently!!!) and in so doing disturbed the union seal between the cock and the tank - so - I removed the cock unit and dismantled it - there's a horrible nylon washer which sits between the cock and the tank outlet, which is badly crushed. Can this nylon washer safely be replaced with a rubber 'O' ring or a suitable sized fibre washer, or must it be another nylon washer?

3. The nut which connects the cock to the tank unit is both right and left hand threaded - I puzzled over it for ages trying to decide how best to tighten it, but came away feeling confused and rather stupid - any hints on the correct way to tighten this joint?

4. I thought of buying a complete replacement petrol cock, and checked the V11 parts manual, but there's no sign of it in there. The Motomecca parts list shows only one likely item - 01105330 Fuel Tap V11 (Series 1) at £65.20p - is this the right part for a 2002 Scura?

Sorry for the barrage of questions - beers for answers :bier:

I can answer Q1 and Q4.- there should be a small black rubber breather hose attached to one of the nipples- r/h side I think (does it matter?) which I believe lets the tank overflow if you drop the bike.

I believe the early V11s had a different petcock so this may be the wrong part for your bike.

Guy :helmet: