Front end dips A LOT under moderate braking

VA Sean

Ouch! I was really hoping to fit these Ohlins springs for a little rate lift. Does anyone have some early Marz springs lying around to measure the diameter and free length?

Guest ratchethack

Ouch! I was really hoping to fit these Ohlins springs for a little rate lift. Does anyone have some early Marz springs lying around to measure the diameter and free length?

Docc, the Marz 040 USD fork springs fitted by Guzzi measure as follows:

free length = 29.5 cm., or 11.614"

OD = ~3.5 cm., or (as measured) 1.369"

wire dia. = ~4.5 mm, or (as measured) .176"

free coils = 22.6

Maybe you are just noticing it more now cause you ain't so fat as last year? With the extra poundage maybe the forks were already compressed from your cheeseburger diet?

I'm 5'8" also, and if I weighed 160lbs the U.N. would be sending in hunger relief supplies. Seriously though, there are different body types so weight/height proportion is variable. I'd be happy to be 185.

Hmm-

Good point... that and I used to do a lot of 2-up riding with my wife - our combined weight used to be about 330, but now it is about 270. However, as stated before, this was just me riding solo, so maybe you have a point regarding the full compression before as opposed to lighter weight on it now.

Ohh - and I was not able to do well with the detergent test... USD forks, liquids don't want to sit at the seal level for very long!

:huh2:

Looks like no way those springs from 43mm Ohlins will drop in the 40mm Marzocchis. Thanks for indulging my inquiry. I'll head this back over to "fork spring recommendations" on Technical Topics.

Hopefully, VASean, your forks will perk up with a simple oil change. Best of luck!

Ohh - and I was not able to do well with the detergent test... USD forks, liquids don't want to sit at the seal level for very long!

:huh2:

Leak there will present as oil seepage - I meant up around the adjusters, top cap etc. This is where there may be an air leak...

cheers,

Rj

• 3 weeks later...

Stock springs from the Cafe Sport Ohlins I put on the Billy Bob measure 240mm in length, have an o.d. of 36.7mm, wire thickness of 0.452mm, and are most definitely straight-rate.

Stock springs from the '04 Billy Bob 43mm Marzes measure 282mm in length, are most definitely progressive in rate, have an o.d. of 38.39mm at the heavy end and 32.52 at the soft end, and a wire diameter of 4.76mm.

If anybody wants to change spring rates, I can get both good straight-rate springs for the marzocchis or for the Ohlins (I have changed both out on my Billy Bob) through Moto International.

Oh, Sean:

Here's how to tune your Ohlins:

1) Set for laden (you on it) sag, using the external preload adjusters.

2) Set compression damping (the one in the middle of each top cap) on setting 1 (all the way counterclockwise, and then back clockwise 1 click).

3) Set compression damping (at the bottom of you forks at the back) on setting 1.

4) Ride it over some bumps and work to get the rebound setting right. It is right when you get no pogoing. It is best to find a remote location on which you can ride the same bumps again and again at the same speed, so you get a good sense of what each click does. Fewer clicks is almost always better than more clicks. I think I run mine at 4-5, depending on how aggressively I will be riding. I weigh 240 lb. (This is about half as many clicks as Guzzi recommends.) What Ohlins are really good at is giving a comfortable, compliant ride, while still being able to control the big stuff. Too many clicks, and you will only take away compliance and make it feel like a lumber truck.

5) Then try to tune out as much brake dive as you can by increasing the compression damping one click at a time until the ride starts to get harsh; then, back off one click, and that's the best you can do against dive without re-springing the forks. Again, fewer clicks is better. I run mine at 3.

Much obliged, Greg.

I'll call your shop tomorrow to get those V50III gaskets.

Do you guys have, or can you get the TLM Center Stand for the V11 Sport #014300000012

How about same for V50III: #194303050000 (TLM website says out of stock)

Thanks-

Much obliged, Greg.

I'll call your shop tomorrow to get those V50III gaskets.

Do you guys have, or can you get the TLM Center Stand for the V11 Sport #014300000012

How about same for V50III: #194303050000 (TLM website says out of stock)

Thanks-

Sean:

Call me. These centerstands are not for everyone because they do force a few compromises. You'll ned the centerstand for the LeMans, whi accomodates the wider rear tire of your bike. I sold my last one Saturday but should have more by Friday. See also a piece I'm currently writing about crossovers because it may affect your decision . . . And I'll look in regards the V50 stand.