TPS failure

nigev11

ok; ive just been informed that my TPS is cactus.

Might explain a few previous probs although it had been running sweet as aping for 4000kms or so.

I read a thread but cant find it on where to buy alternatives to original guzzi TPS?

PLEASE HELP ?!

the original part is $600 !!!!!!

i recall a US company manufactures them, i want to see if i can hunt one down direct

nigev11

I remember this being a HD part for the sportster motor ( also Buell). Surely somebody can hone us in on this?

If you can't check it for yourself, get a 2nd opinion.

I'm in Australia too mate. If you come around I'll take a look at it.

Post Edit:

We'll I'm confused, only a few weeks ago you where telling us how sweet things were since Pete Roper sorted your bike. A TPS doesn't become unservicable just like that. Then you're queering temp sensors.

Who said your TPS was cactus?

point taken ona second opinion. Unfortunately, Im in need of wheels and have topay every time i take it to an agent. Ill certainly be getting the old part checked over once its replaced.

The good news is i found some links elsewhere that specified the details http://www.guzzitech.com/HD-TPS-Jeff_B.html

So, rang around a few harley dealers and have one on the way; A$89 instead of A$600. Un&*(&*&) beleivable.

As Jeff points out in his rave, they do behave slightly differently; fueling a bit richer down low and a bit leaner up high, but also reports most people cant notice any difference. Ill give it a try and report back ina week or so.

nigev11

If you can't check it for yourself, get a 2nd opinion.

I'm in Australia too mate. If you come around I'll take a look at it.

Post Edit:

We'll I'm confused, only a few weeks ago you where telling us how sweet things were since Pete Roper sorted your bike. A TPS doesn't become unservicable just like that. Then you're queering temp sensors.

Who said your TPS was cactus?

cliff; just read your post edit; you are right it was sweet and i am stumped why it would suddenly fail. ONly thing I can think is that when i screwed around tryng to set it up before i gave up and sent it to roper, i a)damaged it by dousing it in contact cleaner and it took time to manifest or b)where we bared the wires to get probes in we damaged the connection or I allowed it to short over time causing damage.

I already replaced the temp sensor last week to no avail.

Motorino said it was cactus and i had a bad experience with them once before, swore id never go back. But after talking to the importer and the GM at motorino i decided to give them another shot mostly because they are so damn convenient to my work. and also becasue they had made changes and their mechanic used to work for the importer so should know his stuff.

for $89 its worth a go and theyhave the bike already.

where are you cliff? im at curl curl

Here's a thought. There seem to be no end of examples of cheaper alternatives to genuine Guzzi parts, or cheaper sources in other countries. With perseverance you can quite often find them by searching through the forum, but it might be dead handy if we had a special place in the forum dedicated to this type of thing, where people could post up thier experiences of using alternatives. Could save us all a lot of aggro and a lot of money. Moto Guzzi club GB has something similar - www.motoguzziclub.co.uk/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=26 - but an international version on V11lemans.com would be so much better. What does anyoone think, and how would we go about setting it up?

The manufacturer of this TPS is CTS, a US based company, the european office is somewhere in the UK (Scotland if I mind it right).

This is the link. Download the Spec-Sheet and you'll find our type of pot.

If you take a look at the spec you can see that it is just crap, cheap enough for motorcycles.

Anyway, maybe some member here with any commercial background could make it possible to get 50 pieces or so off them. I'm quite sure, if the price is correct it should be no problem to sell them here.

The costs for CTI should be somewhere around 3 Euros/USD.

Hubert

ok; ive just been informed that my TPS is cactus.

Might explain a few previous probs although it had been running sweet as aping for 4000kms or so.

I read a thread but cant find it on where to buy alternatives to original guzzi TPS?

PLEASE HELP ?!

the original part is $600 !!!!!!

i recall a US company manufactures them, i want to see if i can hunt one down direct

nigev11

Perhaps you should look at REBOOT GUZZI spares, they have lots of second hand stuff. $600 for a pot , who's telling that crap (excuse me) that's rediculous!!!!

perhaps they mean the whole injection system.

I have seen the pot once in "original" price, NEW, for about $120-150 USD (WHICH also is a lot)

Here is the TPS upside down view

TPS.jpg

You're kidding, Alex, sure, you are.

You do think a honest man was to support such a butcher and body snatcher??

That's probably always the same thing with those organ-not-donators on one side and on the other side those Igorf that think it was sin to waste all this still good stuff.

Nevertheless, their site's not really looking too appetising.

Hubert

Guest Nogbad

You do think a honest man was to support such a butcher and body snatcher??

That's probably always the same thing with those organ-not-donators on one side and on the other side those Igorf that think it was sin to waste all this still good stuff.

Nevertheless, their site's not really looking too appetising.

Hubert

Sorry, I'm with the Igorth. Rethycling ith important in todayth eco-conthiouth world.

Hubert

Ha , Really that was on ebay auction for a new original piece long time ago , starting at 50$ or about that.

I have got the whole injector system for my bike though, including the pot for 90EUROS, all in great shape. :lol: from other ebay auction.

Sorry, I'm with the Igorth. Rethycling ith important in todayth eco-conthiouth world.

Back to the Ramtops wi' that treasonous talk of inconspicuous consumption, or I'll set the wee free men on ye!

Regards,

Rincewind

;)

• 2 weeks later...

.... Both are made by Marelli....

No, wrong. They are sold by Marelli and others, not made. That's a difference in so far as it should be possible to source them directly from the manufacturer A LOT cheaper. U US guys are very close to CTS, so why not give them a call? If you tell them the right story you may get some samples for free even.

Hubert