''GOD SAVE THE QUEEN''

tomorrow here is a public holiday, monday 11th june. but alas it is not her birthday tomorrow it was some time in may i think. but anyway who cares its still a day off with pay for most working australians.

it used to be celebrated as cracker night or bombfire night! but thats been banned as have fireworks. now its a $1100au fine for using fire works on your own property [more in a public place] up to $5000 i believe.

cracker night used to be such fun as a kid spending weeks before hand building giant bombfires to be sacrificed to the gods of fire. yes there was some havoc some mailboxes blown to pieces, many pets that ranaway and hid. a lot of too slow kids with burnt swollen hands, but i have many fond memorys of big fires

all of the community gathered around the fire on these cold june nights, and even a highland pipe and drum band marching in a circle around the fire. it sure was a spectacle of sight and sound. but saddly its all gone,

now its just a long weekend of higher fuel prices, double demerit points and above average road kill.

and the large supermarkets even increase the take away beer prices for the weekend just to help celebrate

the queens birthday. i'm so sad that i don't even leave my home now on these weekends. yours gary. :oldgit: