A Tale of Four Crossovers . . .

Greg Field

...Do you have a PCIII or something to change fueling when going from stock to aftermarket crossovers? My bike got lean with the FBF and airbox mod, I had to change PCIII maps.

:stupid: How you can do performance comparison without optimising fueling for each set up :huh2:

KB :sun:

Thanks Greg,

Those rotors are sweeet! :P: I'll be looking for a Mistral once the finances come available. :bier:

PS I like the dichotomy of the slow sign in the pic with the sex machine in the forefront!

• 4 weeks later...

I want to thank Greg for his recommendation. I mounted the pipe today and the sound the Mistral makes with the Guzzi Ti pipes is pure music. Nice pull in the middle of the rpm range too.

Thanks Greg! :bier:

That's great to read... totally looking forward to the new mods...

My box of goodies just arrived from MI today.

If my wife has the time, I'll have her take photos when I do the X-over and centerstand installation and I'll write up something to post here.

Prolly won't have time to do the work for a couple of weekends, however.

Thanks, Greg!

:helmet::bike::mg:

• 6 months later...

a google search on guzzi x-over brought me to this site:

http://www.moto-one.com.au/performance/v11sport.html

Them seem to get pretty poor results from the Mistral X-over! Bit confused now? can two different dyno's really make that much of a difference? Or could it be perhaps be the difference in types of exhaust systems between pre 2004 models?

Cheers

Jasper

That's my bike ! :D

This comparison was done with no map changes from standard ecu- and as far as i know on the same dyno.

Brad from Moto One notes that perhaps this crossover may give mid range improvements with tuning etc though he doesnt comment on possible improvements to top end with the same.

Cheers

Bruce

Dyno results on the bike about which this thread was started are here:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...=dyno&st=45

Both maps are with the Mistral crossover, which is the one I liked best and have stuck with.

If you compare the torque charts of mine vs. the one in the aussie thread, mine has almost 20 percent more torque at 3000 rpm (59 lb-ft. vs 50 lb.-ft.). Unfortunately, there isn't a chart in that thread of torque for the Stucchi-equipped bike. You can clearly feel the difference.

Probably, the Mistral costs me 3-5 hp on the top end compared to the same bike fitted with a Stucchi crossover. Probably, the Mistral makes at least as much top end as the stock scrossover, though, and the Mistral makes 20 percent more at 3,000 rpm and keeps a substantial torque lead to 6,000 rpm. This is where I ride, so that's why I liked the Mistral best. I commute on my V11 mostly, and the smooth low-end with no torque hole is most appreciated under that use. Also, the Mistral allows fitting of a centerstand, which once used a few times I found I could not live without, whereas the Stucchi doesn't allow use of the centerstand.

Is the Mistral for everyone? No, and I always ask how a person will be riding before I make a recommendation on which they should buy. If you mostly ride in the hills or on the track and do not want a centerstand, the clear winner is the Stucchi crossover, and I probably sell two Stucchis for every Mistral I sell.

Greg, I was just reading this thread and wondered if you got any satisfaction from FBF on the crossover? FBF isn't a real friendly Guzzi place, most times your just in the way if you ask pesky Guzzi questins. Of all the ones that you've seen crack did you try to repair any? Why I ask is if there are any available to experiment on I would be interested in buying a cracked one.

Greg, I was just reading this thread and wondered if you got any satisfaction from FBF on the crossover? FBF isn't a real friendly Guzzi place, most times your just in the way if you ask pesky Guzzi questins. Of all the ones that you've seen crack did you try to repair any? Why I ask is if there are any available to experiment on I would be interested in buying a cracked one.

No, even though I was a dealer for their products, they blew me off. Needless to say, I have bought nothing from them since then. I threw away he cracked crossover. Sorry.

That's great to read... totally looking forward to the new mods...

My box of goodies just arrived from MI today.

If my wife has the time, I'll have her take photos when I do the X-over and centerstand installation and I'll write up something to post here.

Prolly won't have time to do the work for a couple of weekends, however.

Thanks, Greg!

:helmet::bike::mg:

In case people wanted to see the photos:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=12vg8a...0&y=-ib5e1r

FYI- I absolutely love the effect of the new crossover compared to stock: grunt, responsiveness - you name it... everything is better.

:2c:

In case people wanted to see the photos:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=12vg8a...0&y=-ib5e1r

FYI- I absolutely love the effect of the new crossover compared to stock: grunt, responsiveness - you name it... everything is better.

:2c:

Done! (note: ding in Ti can is from wife's boot when she slipped off the peg)

I trust she was suitably disciplined.

Nice looking pipes - except for that ding. You need a night out with the boyz to recover.

;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...