A Tale of Four Crossovers . . .

Greg Field

Greg, in the first post you made reference to the older V-11's with no header-crossover possibly being affected differently by the Stucci / Mistral crossovers, due to the differing sizes of the confluence sections. Have you made any determination about this possibility?

My 2000 V-11 is of the no header-crossover design.

I am ready to order a crossover, but still a little uncertain about which one. I am leaning toward the Mistral at this moment in favor of some more midrange grunt.

I just got back from a short run on the Ballabio after installing the Mistral x-over, Mistral cans, PCIII, K&N, and a set of headers w/o the crossover. I am very pleased, I could not detect the dip in power it used to have. I still need to balance the TBs and more time and riding will tell if I truly feel a difference. Unfortunately I haven't had time to ride it in a while as its been in various states of assembly/disassembly. I was going to wait and install the Hyperpro spring kit while I had access to the rear shock but the weather is turning too nice to not ride. I should get it on a dyno in the next month or two to get it tuned.

Dave

Anybody out there running MG Ti kit with Stucchi crossover???

I have the MG ti kit,....and I want to add the Stucchi,...but the bike goes real well,

and I don"t want to spend money,...for no result

I would appreciate any opinion for this combination (Ti+Stucchi)

Anybody out there running MG Ti kit with Stucchi crossover???

I have the MG ti kit,....and I want to add the Stucchi,...but the bike goes real well,

and I don"t want to spend money,...for no result

I would appreciate any opinion for this combination (Ti+Stucchi)

I have the Ti kit with an FBF crossover which is supposed to be functionally identical to the Stucchi. I think the crossover made a noticeable increase in power from around 3500rpm on up, but I made other changes at the same time (PCIII map and airbox mod), and my bike is older than yours (no front balance pipe, different factory map), so my experience isn't necessarily applicable to your situation. I guess that doesn't help much, does it? :wacko:

One thing I can say is any V11 will be louder with any aftermarket crossover.

Edit: An FBF or Stucchi crossover will also lean out your fuel mixture. You may get some popping when you roll off the throttle. IMO to get the most benefit out of exhaust and intake changes you need to address the fuel map with a PCIII or some other software product.

Pasotibbs:

Those look great! Have you also coated your headers? And who makes that rack for the tailpiece?

Headers are just cleaned and polished up (scotchbrite,1200 wet and dry,and metal polish), the rack if I remember correctly is from http://www.motomeccaspares.com/ search for "Carrier V11 Sport Black"

there isn't a picture but I'm pretty sure thats the one.

TM: We care for several bikes with the Stucchi and Ti kit. The Stucchi gives a noticable performance increase. Consider modifying your airbox, too, for even more of an increase.

I did the Phil A airbox modification when I added the crossover last year. The bike runs great except for some pinging which has been there since day 1. I'm going after that problem again as soon as I get the bike out of my basement.

Edit: Looking at this again, I bet Greg's reply was meant for V11cafe...

Thanks Greg, & TM

What do you mean by modifying the air box?

open holes to it? remove the intake tubes? another filter? :luigi:

Follow the link [the underlined words Phil A. modification] in Tom M's post & discover the details for yourself! More than just holes in the cover...

:thumbsup:

• 9 years later...

Thank you Greg Field for the info in this thread.

I must try the Mistral x over now because I seem to have very much the same preferences and ride mostly in traffic like you.I've got the later model too with the joining front pipe,and the Phil A airbox mods,so results should be similar with a new map for the ECU.

I rarely rev higher than say 5000 rpm anyway because there is a turn comming up or a damned car or something.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

To put an other light on the Mistral discussion, here the power measurement of a Ballabio now two years ago with the Mistral crossover compared to the stock crossover. The same mufflers are mounted for both runs being slightly modified stock cans. When we later installed the stock cans (including the catalyst) the dip at 4000 rpm almost disappeared. 

Ballabio2_Page_1.jpg

The Mistral crossover did not only cut the power above 5000, it also started about 1000 rpm later developping power. The difference in maximum power was only 3,4 HP, but between 6 and 8000 the difference was up to 9 HP! During driving there was no point going over 6000 because there was no power increase to be noted any more. For me the mistral crossover is not the one to use. 

I had better results with the Stucchi X-over. This acts power wise very similar to the stock part, but is better in mid range. When looking to the power dip at 4000 of most V11, the rise of the curve starts about 500 rpm earlier. 

To return to the Ballabio above: This was the fastest stock V11 we ever had on the test bench: With the stock exhaust system, like mentioned above, the power curve smoothed out and hit' the 100HP mark:

Ballabio3_Page_1.jpg