A Tale of Four Crossovers . . .

Greg Field

My wife's out of town, and we had both the Stucchi and Mistral crossovers in stock, so I took the set home to try for the weekend and gather some impressions. Previously, I had had an FBF crossover on my bike and had liked the top-end rush it facitlitated. Then, because the FBF crackes, I switched back to the stock crossover for 6 monthes.

First, I tried the Stucchi. It's a really nice piece. Heavy construction, much of it double-wall. The design is the same as that of the FBF I had mounted previously, but the Stucchi is built like a tank in comparison. The FBF lasted me about 2 months and then cracked along the weld. Despite the signifiacant fact that I am a seller of those things, FBF has yet to warranty it, though I have been trying since last fall/ Screw 'em; six months of trying is too much. About half of them I have sold have cracked, as well. Avoid FBF crossovers like the plague.

Sound: The Stucchi sounded really deep and mellow, like the FBF. Performance: Like the FBF, it was a top-end crossover, not really adding much on my '04 until 6,000 rpm and up. It may have reduced the torque hole from 3,000-4,0000 rpm on my bike, but not by much. There's no way to use it with a centerstand without ballpeaning big divots in the crossover. This would not be easy in such a stoutly constructed piece. Overall impression was nice construction but not suited to my needs.

Then, I tried the Mistral crossover. Like the Stucchi, it is built very stoutly. The stainless is thick, and the welds are nice. It has less "crossover' (shared piping) than the FBF or Stucchi. This might make a big differeence on the earlier bikes without a crossover in front of the engine. Who knows? On the '04 Billy Bob it fit nicely. Best of all, I only had to knock a little divet into the right leg of the centerstand to make it work with the centerstand. Then, it fit like the stock crossover, but what a difference in performance and sound compare d to the stock crossover. Soundwise, it snaaaaarrllss, by comparison. In fact, it's right on the cusp of being too loud when you really get on it. This crossover is all about low- to mid-repm throttle response. From 1,500 rpm to 3,000 rpm, it jets forward, by comprison. I f you ride in trafffic, this is the one you need. From 5,500 or maybe 5,000 rpm on, the Stucchi feel stronger; below that, the Mistral stomps it. By feel, thoroughly.

I'm keeping the Mistral because it just suits my riding style better, plus, then I can keep my lovely centerstand.

• Like 2

Hey Greg,cool comparison. :bier: I was dissapointed in the low end on my Scura when I first got it ,expecting a lot more low-mid for a big V-twin.Sounds like the Mistral's for me.What are they going for now?

I also wanted a centerstand.I inquired about yours on another thread,but you must have missed it.That was the first I heard about a centerstand for a V11.Who makes it?How much?

Thanks,

MZ

Very cool, Greg.

Sounds like I have my work cut out for me... now that I have the Ti pipes on the Coppa, a new cross-over is the next logical choice... and as you saw in the other thread, I am looking for a centerstand too... so I guess the Mistral is the way to go!

Look out Visa - daddy is going shopping!

:xmas:

Mistral crossovers are available from several sources, including (probably) MPH, MG Cycle, and the shop at which I toil, Moto International. If you call Moto Intl., ask for me. The other parts guy has only been with us a week. Or, you could email to parts@motointernational.com. I will not be in until the latter half of the day.

Nice comparison Greg.

Do you have a PCIII or something to change fueling when going from stock to aftermarket crossovers? My bike got lean with the FBF and airbox mod, I had to change PCIII maps.

Greg is playing uslike a Stradivarius :grin: Like throwing raw meat to the Lions! :P:

Is the centerstand a secrect that cant be devulged to us civilians? :D

Greg is playing uslike a Stradivarius :grin: Like throwing raw meat to the Lions! :P:

Is the centerstand a secrect that cant be devulged to us civilians? :D

:grin:

Definitely-

He knows we are putty in his hands...

I just got off the phone with him.

Currently out of stock on each item (Mistral X-over and centerstand)... but they are on the way!

I think the Mistral from the description, will fit my needs better too. I commute to work on the BillyBob, and as a result, spend a lot of time in the rpm range that the Mistral shines in.

I've also emailed the parts@motointernational address for pricing etc.

Guest GuzziLee

Hey Greg,

Excellent report on the X overs. :huh2: Let me know when you have the center stand in stock.

ANY UPDATE ON MY EXHAUST FOR BOTH BIKES??? We are going thru withdrawls here as our new generation Guzzi's are everything :mg: with only thing missing being that awesome Guzzi Big Twin exhaust note.

Call tommorrow if possible THANKS Again :drink: Great Support

Lee

Got to ride it to work again today and then out of town for a meeting. I'm liking that crossover more and more.

The centerstand is made by Teo lamers. We're their US distributoe. I'll post some pix. Maybe right now:

PICT0022-1.jpg

There's the bike on the stand. It holds it upright, so it takes up less room in the gay-raj, makes maintenance easier, and makes it easier to load for trips. I know I have some close-up shots, but I couldn't find them.

Time for bed.

Oh, Lee: I'll contact you tomorrow.

And it has Mistral cans.

Yes, I have a Powercommander. It was and is loaded with a map for the Stucchi crossover. Still, it fuels great even with the Mistral crossover.