Make-do wool seat cover

dlapierre

Guest ratchethack

I've got my custom dlapierre saddle blanket (seat pad) and am very pleased with it. Did away with the heat transfer from the gel pad and fatigue/cramps of 250ish mile ride...and it gets alot of wishful looks from the Harley bubbas at Daytona...ha ha. Highly recommended. Thanks, Dennis! :race:

Outstanding, Stormsedge. My memory of bike week in Daytona is lots of well overgrown idiots dressed up like pirates trailering in their abominable monstrosities from across the country to just outside of town, so they can "ride in" a few miles, park them on the main drag, and admire each other. D'you think any o' them would actually ride a real motorcycle? Naaaaah. I reckon if I don't understand "the mentality", I'll never "get it". . . :huh2::bbblll:

We've had some 90-ish weather here lately and every day it gets hotter, I appreciate the "saddle pad" more & more! :sun:

Hey Dennis -- I have no idea wot they do in tack rooms for storage of something like this. Do I have to be concerned about moths getting into this thing when it's sitting in a nice, toasty-warm dark garage??!! :o

BTW -- the elastic bands seem to work perfectly. I'm not going to change a thing. :thumbsup:

I've never had a problem with moths getting to the wool. But I've lost a couple of good horse saddlepads to mice and packrats. Seems the mice and packrats like the accumulation of horse sweat (salt). These pads got damaged while being stored over winter in a barn. This was after 3-4 years of use and me getting too lazy to wash the pads. Doubt if you'll have that problem.

But, if you are concerned about moths, find some camphor pellets (mothballs) to put nearby.

These pads are washable, by the way. On long horse trips, I'd just rinse the saddlepad in the creek and let it drip dry overnight. But at home, a rinse in the bathtub in warm water with a bit of fleecy in it works fine. Horse pad owners can get 10 years out of a pad. I expect a bike saddlepad will last that long or longer.

I'm game to take more orders for pads, for those who are interested.

We've had some 90-ish weather here lately and every day it gets hotter, I appreciate the "saddle pad" more & more! :sun:

Hey Dennis -- I have no idea wot they do in tack rooms for storage of something like this. Do I have to be concerned about moths getting into this thing when it's sitting in a nice, toasty-warm dark garage??!! :o

BTW -- the elastic bands seem to work perfectly. I'm not going to change a thing. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Big Fat Gulley Washing Rain Report------last Saturday took refuge at J&P Cycle north of Daytona during big thunderstorm...when worst had passed, waded out to the parking lot, to the glee of the wife-beater equipped Harley riders, knocked the water off my saddle blanket with my glove, hopped on and headed out. Was deluged again (worse) on ride back to JAX, and even had to hide out in a gas station during another storm that actually moved a soda machine off the sidewalk in front of the storm...luckily had parked bike with off-stand side against the wind. To the point, saddle blanket came through better than when the sheep was wearing it, and my butt stayed warm/dry as well. You can't beat wool. :grin: k