Shifter adjustment

BrianG

Upon re-assembling my 2000 V-11 Sport's transmission to re-seal the cases, I find that:

Shifting into 1st results in some over-travel of the shifter... sometimes to the point of hanging in the full-throw position.

I have the parts book and the service manual in hand but no joy on determining how this eccentric works, or how to determine which way to turn it....

Which way to turn the shifter adjustment eccentric bolt to remedy this?

Hello Brian,

:2c: Tough luck. Been there, done that. You could try the old 1/8 turn and ride, etc, etc. But that takes a lot of time. I read on one of the forums that an easier way is to try and get the shifter "centered" by adjusting the acorn and checking travel, up and down.

I haven't tried this (and I'm never gonna touch that acorn again). Hope it helps. :bier:

Ciao :mg::ninja:

Under the acorn nut that lives behind the starter is the adjuster...

It's all foggy now but is pretty straight forward.

In my usual John Deer Guzzi fashion I did this by road testing/ adjusting/road testing

It took about 5 or 6 ride/stop/adjust/ride and a hacked off 19mm wrench.

(which lives in my bike tool kit along with the cut 5(?)mm allen and my spare shift spring)

Good luck.

OK... here's what worked for me.

The shifter was getting stuck when down-shifting because it could over-travel in that direction.

Adjusting the slotted eccentric bolt that resides under the acorn nut counter-clockwise resolved that issue.

1/8th turn increments is likely appropriate.

1/8th turn the wrong way made downshifting impossible.

1/8th turn past ideal created the same problem, but in the opposite direction.

The net result of this "adjustment" is that the transmission shifts very smoothly, with much less "throw" in both directions, and many fewer missed shifts. It's not quite a Honda-matic, but it's WAY closer than any othe Guzzi I've ever ridden!

I hope this helps someone else out there get their shifting sorted.

• 1 month later...

OK... here's what worked for me.

Just to add support to these observations - I also tried about six different positions - in summary I found that +1/8 of a turn clockwise resulted in not being able to get above 2nd gear wheras -1/16 of a turn anti-cw made missed shifts worse. I settled on +~1/32 of a turn from previous setting but not a huge improvement (ie still miss the odd 2nd to 3rd shift going up) ...

Lubing the shifter always seems to help a little.

Gio

The "adjust and ride" method is the best way. Ive set these up on a workbench thinking I had figured out the best position before assembly and, yet, when I did install the shifter to the gearbox, it needed adjustment. Go in small increments one way or the other until it works fine. Once properly adjusted, it'll shift smooth and flawlessly. Sometimes the adjuster lock nut is locktite stuck to the adjuster bolt but you can deal with that by backing it off and freeing it up so you tighten it down on whatever adjustment you end up with on the scewdriver-slotted adjuster bolt. In the tranny, I run Mobil 1 75-140 with moly added.