Replacing the chain tensioner

raz

Simply great topic!

I on the same place Raz had been two yrs ago. Raz, any news about the stucchi tensioner? On Stein Dinse, the set of new chain, stucchi tensioner and gaskets stays for some 42E...

Slavek!

Go for that package! I just bought the tensioner but then I ended up buying a chain half a year after this thread.

Actually I'm just about to dismount the lot again for inspecting the camshaft, so if you wait a couple of hours I'll be able to tell you how the tensioner looks after 25,000 kms of service.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Go for that package! I just bought the tensioner but then I ended up buying a chain half a year after this thread.

Actually I'm just about to dismount the lot again for inspecting the camshaft, so if you wait a couple of hours I'll be able to tell you how the tensioner looks after 25,000 kms of service.

:lol: great great great!

OK I'm there now. As expected, the tensioner has visible tracks from chain wear. It's not very deep though, so the tensioner should last as long as the chain.

Remember to order the seal in the timing cover as well as the o-ring inside the alternator shaft bushing. I didn't replace them the first time, and had no problems. But it would be damn irritating if there was a leak afterwards. Same goes for the timing cover gasket of course. I've never tried to re-use that one.

As you may know, as soon as you need more than just a couple of gaskets, a complete gasket set may be cheaper and then you have all you need and some for the shelf.

Oh, and beware of a couple of dl of oil in there even if you dried the sump.

My oil pump shaft has some amount of play. I can't remember if I replaced those bearings, need to check that.

Now hold your thumbs, the next post (in the other thread) will be the results of my camshaft inspection :huh:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ratchethack

Well done, Slavomir.

Just for grins, I looked at the photo I took when I installed mine for a little comparo:

post-1212-1265042562_thumb.jpg

Mine's on the left, yours on the right.

There's a small difference in amount of chain stretch between the two, judging by the curves of the tensioners.

Check the relative distance between opposite sides of the chain at the crank sprocket. Just an observation.

NOTE: In your photo in your post above, I see your stator sitting on the floor without the rotor in it.

Now I KNOW that at least one on this board will say it doesn't matter (per post soon to follow, I expect ^_^ ). I have no reason to doubt this.

HOWEVER, my Guzzi service manual states: "To avoid demagnetization, insert the rotor into the previously removed stator once again." Having likewise no reason to doubt the manual, I followed it, and there was no loss of charging power. :luigi:

Now I KNOW that at least one on this board will say it doesn't matter (per post soon to follow, I expect ^_^ ). I have no reason to doubt this.

HOWEVER, my Guzzi service manual states: "To avoid demagnetization, insert the rotor into the previously removed stator once again." Having likewise no reason to doubt the manual, I followed it, and there was no loss of charging power. :luigi:

:thumbsup: will do Ratch, to the stator, after my crash, stator and rotor rested separeately for whole month and... nothing changed :huh2: so, maybe some urban legend or what :luigi:

cheers!

Slavek

I'm not sure what to think of that, but I do keep them together since that can't hurt - while not doing it might. I also use to keep the Woodruff key stuffed to the magnet so I don't lose it. The downside of that is I always forget that I did it, so I end up looking for it a while each time :rolleyes:

Guest ratchethack
. . .I do keep them together since that can't hurt - while not doing it might.

Could there actually be a reason the Luigi's in Mandello put their instructions in the service manual?? :huh2:

Naaaah. Couldn't happen.

But there's probably less of a chance of getting marinara on the rotor when it's inside the stator. B)