Speedometer Cable breakage?

Guest Texas Boy

Guest Le Man

Well..the new cable repair didn't last. I took a small amount of bend out of the trans end of the cable and polished the inside with valve grinding compound, washed it all out and lubed the crap out of the whole assembly. 370 miles later it broke in the same spot. I can't tell you how annoying this small thing is. I am working with essentially a $12,000 2003 motorcycle and can't tell how fast or far I am going. Ok..deep breath..this was only cable #4 ....

Mike

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only speedo cable I've ever broken did so because I routed it incorrectly when putting the tank back on my Sport 1100i. I put in one of those $10 cable replacements from the local auto parts store and that cable has gone more than 35,000 miles. It might be worth checking where the cable routes on another bike and see if yours lies in the same spot.

Guest Le Man

Thanks for the input Carl. I think my problem is the housing, however. This is the same housing with new internals, time after time. Part of the problem is I haven't been able to get a new cable from the dealer so I just keep putting in generic cable repair kits. The housing may have a rough spot in it I am not getting out. The routing of this cable would not cause it to break in this particular spot I believe. It always breaks about 1" up from the trans drive unit.

Oh well ..I'll address this tomorrow ..I just want to get it fixed for the ride to the BMW shop..

Mike

Guest Texas Boy

These cables breaking have nothing to do with the "routing". The metal bend at the transmission is just too tight for the cable. I have had 4 cables break, all at the exact same spot. So this tells me its the bend. This is a very annoying problem, and should be address by Guzzi. I am going to get a custom cable made that has only a slight bend, and then route it around the fuel injectors instead of in front of them. This should result in a much less bend and hopefully end this delima.

Jeff

These cables breaking have nothing to do with the "routing".

snip

This should result in a much less bend and hopefully end this delima.

Jeff

Proper routing means minimizing the sharpness of the bends.

(As well as ensuring that steering is not hampered by the cable routing.)

You are on to the right solution if you can minimize the bends, whether through routing or a custom cable.

I have over 20,000 miles on my cable, so they can be routed correctly on the naked bikes, unless they started making them too long or too short or something.

If anything the LeMans should have less problems as the speedo does not move with the steering.

A tight bend in the cable drive is just plain bad engineering. While the cable on my Sport 1100i enjoys a relatively straight run, letting it get bent down by the tank if careless (routing) will indeed destroy the cable in short order. MG needs a little more engineering investment from Aprilia.

If anything the LeMans should have less problems as the speedo does not move with the steering.

Unfortunately not !

One of my best friend got a brand new rosso corsa .

Since december he made 18 000 km in real bu only 2500 on the tacho due to 4 cable breakage.

Still waitin for the last one

This even while taking care of making the routage the best as possible !

Guest Le Man

Which brings us to an interesting point..I have been using my GPS which has an odometer function that does not reset unless instructed to do so. I know that my bike shows 4800 mile but by adding on the GPS reading I have just under 8 k total.

If I go to sell or trade this bike...............

Mike

• 8 months later...

The cable on my '03 Le Mans gave out at 5228 miles....60 miles out on the longest x-country to date, 1400 Miles! Figures.

The problem with the latest "bent tube" drive design is obvious to me. To clear the RH throttle body, nearly a 90 deg. rigid bend was needed. It would seem the engineers at MG don't understand cyclic fatigue! This, combined with absolutely NO lubrication (on my bike at least) was asking for failure. :homer:

This is a clear design problem, so I expect MG had better get back to the drawing board on this. After my dealer gets round to providing a replacement (waiting since Apr13) I'm gonna use it as a pattern and make a spare. Of course, you can't by just the inner wire from MG. (If you order one, be SURE to specify carefully WHICH cable- seems there are at least 3 variations for the V11. Urge your dealer to keep 'em in stock....their gonna need 'em!)

Anyone have a reliable solution to this?

Such a marvelous machine this is, but such a dumb detail.

Fred Meyer

Yeah , the early versions have the 'bevel drive' also prone to failure and , like, $70 USD. I have a spare but hate knowing I'm gonna need it someday. :luigi::luigi:

Guest Neronut

Darn! My Speedo's cable broke at just over 600 miles. I had just left my dealer haveing gotten the first service. So I went back and got a new cable put on. I had hoped it was something unusual. :wacko:

• 11 months later...

Hallo folks ,I had a problem with the tachometer of my Sport 1100i tonight, does anyone knows where is the mount (the other end of the one that ends on the tachometer) located?(I think just above where the clutch cabel ends over the transmition is that it?)

Should I expect only a full cable change(inkl the wire) or just a wire.? Is there any occasion for a more serious damage?What should I expect? :huh2:

I wasn't aware when it happened but I just noticed a bit after I started the bike to go home.Now the tacho needle is as good as dead...and I am just as good as pi$$ed c003.gif

I have mine at 9K mi and it doesn't even vibrate that much or jump around. jinx jinx, Anyway I haven't even had a problem with but 2 things muffler clamp came loose and I was getting small backfires fixed in 3 sec, and the leaky fork seal that was more of an annoyance than a failure(it was just grimey leaking really very slowly) I don't count the relays. I've still got my fingers crossed on this one I went for the guzzi for 2 reasons reason was the style second reason was the Durability. I don't care how nice something looks if you have to fix it all the time or change everything. :huh2:

still in love tho :mg:

Speedo/Tacho Cable Bulletin

(PDF file => Adobe Acrobat Reader)

This bulletin applies to Lemans, Nero Corsa, and Rosso Corsa as well.

01760481 is the new cable for Cafe Sport and Ballabio.

01760492 is the new cabe for Lemans,Nero Corsa and Rosso Corsa.

Both in stock at MGNA as of 1-05.

Todd Haven - MPH Cycles.com