Crossover Mounting Bolt

marcorod

I tried unsuccessfully to remove my crossover yesterday to send it and pipes to get painted (flat black). The problem was the bolt that holds it to the frame. I only have a crescent wrench and the access is very limited. I'm planning to get a socket/ratchet set today but I don't think it will be any easier.

Is there something I'm overlooking here?

I tried unsuccessfully to remove my crossover yesterday ... I only have a crescent wrench and the access is very limited. I'm planning to get a socket/ratchet set today but I don't think it will be any easier.

Is there something I'm overlooking here?

(emphasis added)

Proper tools make a world of difference?

Seriously, Crescent type adjustable wrenches are for tightening the axle bolts on your Schwinn, not removing precision metric [& notoriously soft! ;) ] fasteners on an exotic motorcycle like a Guzzi! Shame on you! :luigi:

Now, go share some nice Chianti w/ the other Luigis, and come back after lunch w/ the attitude that you'll invest a few dollars in the right tools to make working on your bike easier & more enjoyable, & it will get better.

That attitude & a little Liquid Wrench will take you a long way... :grin:

:mg:

Let me clarify. I did not mean an adjustable wrench rather 1 that is open on 1 side and 12 point closed on the other. I did buy the ratchet set today so I'm on my way . . .

Anyway, I removed the rubber mount but am still have problems with this goddamn thing. Looks like I'll have to remove a shelf looking bracket holding something that looks like a battery. What is that thing anyway?

By the way, the Chianti was delicious. So was the pasta!

Peace!

Marco

(emphasis added)

Proper tools make a world of difference?

Seriously, Crescent type adjustable wrenches are for tightening the axle bolts on your Schwinn, not removing precision metric [& notoriously soft! ;) ] fasteners on an exotic motorcycle like a Guzzi! Shame on you! :luigi:

Now, go share some nice Chianti w/ the other Luigis, and come back after lunch w/ the attitude that you'll invest a few dollars in the right tools to make working on your bike easier & more enjoyable, & it will get better.

That attitude & a little Liquid Wrench will take you a long way... :grin:

:mg:

Guest ratchethack

Let me clarify. I did not mean an adjustable wrench rather 1 that is open on 1 side and 12 point closed on the other. I did buy the ratchet set today so I'm on my way . . .

Bellissimo , Marco! :luigi:

FWIW, a closed-end wrench (box wrench) that has an open-end wrench on the other end is known as a combination wrench. :luigi: Mighty handy things, and by all means, a right proper tool for lots o' things on the Guzzi!

But wot's commonly known as a "Crescent wrench" is wot Skeeve was referring to above, that one-size-fits-all adjutable wrench that's good for working on lawn furniture when you don't have the proper tools. It's wot most kids use to round off the points of every nut & bolt on their Schwinns, as Skeeve pointed out. :lol:

The confusing thing is that the Crescent Tool Mfg. Co made this wrench popular, but they also make box wrenches, combination wrenches, pliers, and lots of other tools. :homer:

Wot's even more confusing is that I think I have 4 or 5 different mfgr's "Crescent" wrenches. :homer:

But IMHO there ain't nothin' much finer than havin' a high-grade rachet and good thin-wall sockets to hack around on a Guzzi with. . . :whistle:

Anyway, I removed the rubber mount but am still have problems with this goddamn thing.

As I recall, the crossover mount is no joy to take apart and assemble. IIRC, I had to use a vise-grip on the cylindrical part that goes inside the rubber part. . . and let me assure you this would be only one of the very few times in my ratchet-hacking career that a vise-grip ever touched metal to a motorcycle -- though there are those exceedingly rare times when there's simply no better alternative, and (as in this case) where the witness marks of the vise-grips are safely and more or less permanently buried . . . :blush:

Looks like I'll have to remove a shelf looking bracket holding something that looks like a battery. What is that thing anyway?

This sounds suspiciously like the charcoal canister and bracket that comes from Mandello courtesy of the geniuses at our very own EPA. Its proper relocation point is at the bottom of your nearest refuse can. If it has vacuum lines going to the intakes in front of the throttle bodies, that'd be the way to ID it. The barbed brass nipples on the outboard sides of the intakes can be plugged with vacuum plugs available at any auto parts outlet, or alternately, they can be connected together via a hose between 'em. :thumbsup:

Have fun with the new tools and congrat's on taking that first big step toward self-sufficiency! :luigi::mg:

I just replaced my crossover pipe and that rubber bushed bolt that you're talking about is a bit of a pain. I removed the bottom bolt, then removed the U bracket that held the charcoal canister, and then swung the whole thing back towards the rear tire to clear the stock crossover out. I found that is is a split kind of deal, with the black plastic/nylon bushing between the large rubber cylinder and the bottom of the tab on the crossover. I just held the black rubber cylinder near the top (there is a brass washer at the very top) with a pair of what I call water pump pliers and used te socket to remove the top bolt. After that, the whole thing came apart easily. If you grab the hard plastic part above the rubber cylinder, the rubber below will just spin.

This sounds suspiciously like the charcoal canister and bracket that comes from Mandello courtesy of the geniuses at our very own EPA. It's proper relocation point is at the bottom of your nearest refuse can. If it has vacuum lines going to the intakes in front of the throttle bodies, that'd be the way to ID it. The barbed brass nipples on the outboard sides of the intakes can be plugged with vacuum plugs available at any auto parts outlet, or alternately, they can be connected together via a hose between 'em.

So Ratchet, you would recommend removing that charcoal cannister? I was thinking the same thing as I was shoving it out of the way while putting the crossover on. There's no adverse performance effects? If that's the case, I'll be removing mine shortly. :grin::luigi:

Guest ratchethack

So Ratchet, you would recommend removing that charcoal cannister? . . .

There's no adverse performance effects?

Yes and no. :luigi:;)

There's no adverse performance effects?

Yes.

But be sure to close off the hoses going to the intake manifolds, otherwise they will suck in too much air and you would have a performance problem or worse.

Some people cap off the nipples coming from the intake manifolds and some run a hose from one nipple to the other.

Yes and no. :luigi:;)

What he means is that "Yes: your motorcycle will emit more unburnt hydrocarbons into the environment w/o the charcoal can" [that's adverse] - so don't park in the sun more often or longer than you absolutely have to, in order to preserve the environment.

"No: your motorcycle will weigh a couple #s less, and your maintenance will be simplified." [that's an improvement] - so you'll get slightly better mileage (probably unmeasurable, but hey, less wt. is less wt.) and therefore emit fewer burnt hydrocarbons into our environment. You're a friend of the Earth!

;)

Ratchethack: Thanks for the long and patient reply.

Now that I have the right tools life is good. I removed the charcoal canister and annoying little shelf that was preventing the u-bracket from swinging back. Crossover was easily removed so it is off to Calico Coatings in Denver, NC along with the header pipes to receive a ceramic coat of matte black. Thanks to Crooz for the tip. They are doing the job for $75!! plus shipping. Let's hope I DON'T get what I paid for.

I'm going to buy a little brass nipple to connect the two hoses together to say good bye to the charcoal can forever!

Thanks everybuddy. . .

Guest Mattress

Ratchethack: Thanks for the long and patient reply.

Now that I have the right tools life is good. I removed the charcoal canister and annoying little shelf that was preventing the u-bracket from swinging back. Crossover was easily removed so it is off to Calico Coatings in Denver, NC along with the header pipes to receive a ceramic coat of matte black. Thanks to Crooz for the tip. They are doing the job for $75!! plus shipping. Let's hope I DON'T get what I paid for.

I'm going to buy a little brass nipple to connect the two hoses together to say good bye to the charcoal can forever!

Thanks everybuddy. . .

Sorry if I jumped to conclusions on your cap head screw question thread and thought you were a cheap skate.

Not that you should immediately take that as an insult because someone on this forum eloquently described Moto Guzzi riders as

"Cheap Bearded Weirdos"

Which describes me fairly well.

I saw you have a Cafe Sport. So do I and I have the factory stand. but just eyeballing it, it doesn't look like just a piece of piss to remove the stock cross-over with the bike on the stand. Looks like it might get a little dicey.

I am a cheap skate (no doubt) but I don't mind spending on good tools. My problem is that I know next to nothing about bikes and mechanics. However, I'm trying to learn.

I got the screw off by just removing the charcoal canister and its bracket. I'm not sure I understand you comment about the stand.

Sorry if I jumped to conclusions on your cap head screw question thread and thought you were a cheap skate.

Not that you should immediately take that as an insult because someone on this forum eloquently described Moto Guzzi riders as

"Cheap Bearded Weirdos"

Which describes me fairly well.

I saw you have a Cafe Sport. So do I and I have the factory stand. but just eyeballing it, it doesn't look like just a piece of piss to remove the stock cross-over with the bike on the stand. Looks like it might get a little dicey.

• 1 month later...

I am a cheap skate (no doubt) but I don't mind spending on good tools. My problem is that I know next to nothing about bikes and mechanics. However, I'm trying to learn.

I got the screw off by just removing the charcoal canister and its bracket. I'm not sure I understand you comment about the stand.

Marcorod-

if the x-over is back from the painter, you have probably learned that you needed to put that bracket back on in order to properly secure the x-over... if it isn't back yet... I hope you KEPT the bracket and the bushings!

PS: This is a perfect time to buy and install the V11 centerstand.

I bought one from Greg Field at MI and installed it at the same time I installed the Mistral x-over.

Oh yeah -- Greg also said I could just let the hoses (from the charcoal cannister) hang - no big deal.

:bier:

• 10 months later...