Trailer queen

Fast Willy

I want to transport my Lemans on a utility trailer. The manufacturer supplies some good wheel chocks but straps need to be placed to hold the bike up. I can't seem to figure out where is the best place to hook/tie the straps to on the bike? Anyone done this before?

I want to transport my Lemans on a utility trailer. The manufacturer supplies some good wheel chocks but straps need to be placed to hold the bike up. I can't seem to figure out where is the best place to hook/tie the straps to on the bike? Anyone done this before?

I use soft ties around the lower fork brace or tree. Soft tie is a strap wit 2 sewn loop ends that you can attach a tie down to.

Or you can just hook aroung the same location with a standard tie down..

Just us the rear peg brackets to tie the rear down.

Here are some pics taken on my lift. Strap the bike forward instead of to the rear as pictured. I have a clamp actually holding the front tire.

motorcycle137.jpg

motorcycle138.jpg

motorcycle139.jpg

Hope it helps.

Richard Z.

• 3 weeks later...

I've hauled my LeMans in my utility trailer a few times with no problems at all. I think the best way to attach tie downs to a LeMans is with a canyon dancer bar harness since you really can't get to the lower triple clamp like Richard did on his Sport.

edit: or use a cycle cinch harness http://www.cyclecinch.com/CCpages/CCproduct.html

Canyon Dancer harness : http://www.newenoughhp.com/browse/view_product_images/331

There's no need for a wheel chock if your utility trailer has sides. Just push the front wheel against the front of the trailer then use the tie downs to compress the fork. As long as the wheel is perpendicular to the front wall it won't move. USE GOOD TIE DOWNS! Get Ancra or equivalent, don't cheap out here.

I used soft ties along with tie downs on the passenger footpeg brackets as a backup and to keep the rear end from moving, but I don't think it was necessary.

At the Carlisle Bike expo, I discussed this with a guy that builds trailers specifically for bikes. According to him, the key points are:

Fasten the front tire to something rigid. Tie downs through the spokes around the bottom of the rim for example. Chock the front wheel such that it can't move forward or backward.

Loosely tie the front forks to prevent side sway. He said to compress the front forks only slightly if at all, because too much compression somehow damages the seals.

Tie the rear of the bike down tightly so it can't bounce, and to control side sway.

Hope this helps.

I had to trailer my bike yesterday when my shifter spring broke. I used the bar harness as usual but doubled up on the front tie downs in the unlikely case that one of my 20 year old Ancra's would fail, and I skipped the rear tie downs altogether. No problems at all on a 30 mile haul that included beat up roads under construction and highway travel. Note the bar harness scrunches the grips up a bit.

Bike in trailer:

DSCN1206.jpg

Double front tie downs, wheel perpendicular to front wall:

DSCN1205.jpg

Ready to unload:

DSCN1203.jpg

I hauled dirt bikes every weekend for many years tied in a pickup truck bed like this and never had a problem. IMO chocks are absolutely not needed unless you don't have a sturdy wall to support the front tire.