Making a Cushier Cush Drive

Greg Field

I'd be interested in knowing how the 70's work out...have to do a major teardown this summer when too hot to ride.

Docc, did you find poly bushings for V11 somewhere?

The only custom bushings I've seen were Delrin and fitted to the torque arm of Andy York's well ridden 2002 LeMans. I was always hoping he'd make them largely available, but I do not believe he's currently in the bike business. Other than riding that LeMans all over the eastern US seaboard and all points west. He does jump in here from time to time, so maybe The Perfesser could shed some light on the Delrin bushing business!:oldgit:

I do recall he simply had them made to fit the torque arm by a local machine shop.

It has always fascinated me that the original rubber bushings appear to be captured by the fasteners which would impart some damping from the twisting of the rubber (and, perhaps, account for so many of them eating themselves up). I've long thought it would free the suspension movement to release the bushing to rotate freely.

Of course, these are in the Torque Arm, not the wedges of the cush drive.

In private email exchanges, Ratchet is off riding his now much happier V11 [see the thread on adapting the GM temp sensor for why it's running so much better in hot weather & traffic now...] :luigi:

Anyone have a link to the thread with the GM sensor info? I did a quick search without success, although I do remember at least a couple contentious head-temp threads over time.

Thanks,

Al

In private email exchanges, Ratchet is off riding his now much happier V11 [see the thread on adapting the GM temp sensor for why it's running so much better in hot weather & traffic now...] :luigi:

Anyone have a link to the thread with the GM sensor info? I did a quick search without success, although I do remember at least a couple contentious head-temp threads over time.

Thanks,

Al

Hello Al,

Here's one of the threads that spiraled into oblivion:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14832&hl=temperature&st=0

The sensor in question was sourced from GM and was the air charge temp sensor for a '00 Pontiac Grand Am 4cyl.

I can find a part number for the sensor and pigtail in you are interested.

Thanks,

Al

Hello Al,

The sensor in question was sourced from GM and was the air charge temp sensor for a '00 Pontiac Grand Am 4cyl.

Thank you, I would definitely like to put this on my list of Spring tune-ups. Just drop me a note, or better yet maybe post a new topic to the tech section with a subject like "GM Head Temp Sensor Details". Then anyone can find it and install it if they'd like to give it a go. I'm definitely game.

BTW, does the polarity of splicing the pigtail matter to the OEM harness matter?

I too have the recurring 3-4k hiccups and pinging when hot and so far no amount of tuning has fixed it, although to be fair I still have plenty of opportunities there too. But based on the reports of symptoms associated with this sensor question, I'm starting to feel confident that one of the solutions may be a good fix for my bike.

Al

Thanks,

Al

Hello Al,

Thank you, I would definitely like to put this on my list of Spring tune-ups. Just drop me a note, or better yet maybe post a new topic to the tech section with a subject like "GM Head Temp Sensor Details". Then anyone can find it and install it if they'd like to give it a go. I'm definitely game.

BTW, does the polarity of splicing the pigtail matter to the OEM harness matter?

I too have the recurring 3-4k hiccups and pinging when hot and so far no amount of tuning has fixed it, although to be fair I still have plenty of opportunities there too. But based on the reports of symptoms associated with this sensor question, I'm starting to feel confident that one of the solutions may be a good fix for my bike.

Al

No Al, polarity does not matter. The sensor is a thermistor.