Next project- 1100 Cafe Racer

Guzzirider

I'm pretty much happy with my V11 now- so I'm going to leave her alone (at least for a while). I have always fancied a Tonti Cafe Racer so I've decided to keep my Jackal and turn her into something sporty.

The basics are already there. It's got the later version Tonti frame, a really punchy injected 1100 motor, Borrani rims, fully adjustable Nitro shocks and modern Brembos. I've already stripped off most of the cruiser stuff (absolute ton of weight) and have bought some Tarozzi rear sets made for a 1000S. Getting the Tank Shop in Dumfries to make me a 24 litre alloy tank (should have a decent range), alloy side panels, short alloy mudguards and a single seat tail unit. I will get Maxton to rebuild the Marzocchi forks to fast road / race spec and get them finished in black. They did a wonderful job in converting the forks on Helen's V11.

The headlight, brackets, instruments and indicators are going and will be replaced- and I have sourced a fantastic looking electronic speedo / tacho in Germany. Wheels will be respoked and rims anodised in black.

Plan is to polish most of the painted parts like valve covers and yokes, and use adjustable clip ons for comfort (may be a long reach with that big tank). Will need new brake hoses and shorter control cables.

Should be able to finance some of it by selling standard bits on EBAY.

Aiming to have her on the road by February- and by then I should have turned my cruiser into a good looking, fine handling but functional modern cafe racer- in the vein of a Ducati Sport Classic.

I may be quiet on here for some time!

Guy :helmet:

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a nice bike but I will be going for a more classic look- there are a few other nice Cali based cafe racers on the Guzzitech site but I want to go my own way. It will be closer in spirit to this nice LM111 cafe racer- but with hopefully better handling, braking and tons more grunt.

Custom_LMIII.jpg

i just bought the black jackal/1100s replica from the guzzitech site. It was in poor shape and taken apart when i got it, but i'm not complaning i got it far less than a stock jackal would have been, and I got all the upgraded mods and parts. If you need some info on your conversion send me an emial...

Thanks

Erik

ey Guy! Funny you brougt this up. I have a butt uly G5 sitting in my storage garage just waiting to come apart. John at The Tank Shop is nearly ready to ship me my tank, seat, side covers and fender. Same deal here...polished alloy everywhere for my bike...should be fun.

ey Guy! Funny you brougt this up. I have a butt uly G5 sitting in my storage garage just waiting to come apart. John at The Tank Shop is nearly ready to ship me my tank, seat, side covers and fender. Same deal here...polished alloy everywhere for my bike...should be fun.

Sounds great- please post a photo when its done!

I'm pretty much happy with my V11 now- so I'm going to leave her alone (at least for a while). I have always fancied a Tonti Cafe Racer so I've decided to keep my Jackal and turn her into something sporty.

The basics are already there. It's got the later version Tonti frame, a really punchy injected 1100 motor, Borrani rims, fully adjustable Nitro shocks and modern Brembos. I've already stripped off most of the cruiser stuff (absolute ton of weight) and have bought some Tarozzi rear sets made for a 1000S. Getting the Tank Shop in Dumfries to make me a 24 litre alloy tank (should have a decent range), alloy side panels,

Sounds like it will turn up a good one

A picture is more than a thousand words. Got any even at this stage.. :mg:

Good luck with your projects guys! Please keep us posted as they progress. I love those tonti cafe bikes. I almost bought one in pieces recently for a winter project, but I decided that one Guzzi is enough for me for now.

FWIW here's a link to George Dockray's gallery with lots of nice Guzzi cafe racer pictures: http://www3.telus.net/gdockray/

Keep an open mind! ...I mean an open frame! :D

DSCF0747.jpg

Wow thats nice!!

I probably won't do an open frame as all the fuel injection gubbins, relays and ECU are situated behind the side panels. I could relocate it all but may be a ball ache on an injected bike!

Keep an open mind! ...I mean an open frame! :D

DSCF0747.jpg

Wow Waspp! Nice bike...can I ask what rearsets those are?

You'll want to stay focused. Here's a project that went horribly wrong - and not for lack of money thrown at it. :(

Curtis_chopper.jpg

Ummm...wow! that is........different? :unsure: