Next project- 1100 Cafe Racer

Guzzirider

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm hoping just a couple more weeks. The guy that's going to build the wiring harness has told me it only takes him a couple of days. I have no idea how long the painter will take, but hopefully not more than a week. I really want to bring it to IMOC, so barring any major mechanical issues, it should be there with the Ballabio.

I'm hoping just a couple more weeks. The guy that's going to build the wiring harness has told me it only takes him a couple of days. I have no idea how long the painter will take, but hopefully not more than a week. I really want to bring it to IMOC, so barring any major mechanical issues, it should be there with the Ballabio.

Are you going to paint that gorgeous alloy tank??!! :o

I am actually. I thought long and hard about it, but there are a lot of Guzzi's running around with polished aluminum tanks. The color is going to be a "Kandy Black Cherry" from the House of Kolor with the gold wings from the LMIII tank decal. This will give you an idea of the color....

efijy1.jpg

That bike will look fantastic with or without paint on the tank, and there certainly are lots of polished tanks out there. Have you considered partial paint on the tank? A little exposed alloy shows that the tank isn't a fiberglass knock-off. A couple examples of tanks with exposed alloy in the knee indents:

grAUT_5428.jpgimt_rdstr.jpg

Something like an early LeMans black top tank, but with your black cherry color on top, and with polished sides instead of red might be cool too.

Like I said, it will look fantastic no matter what you choose to do. Nice job! :thumbsup:

Looks great Doug! What exhaust did you go with? Are those the laFranconia muffs? I still haven't got a decent system on my cafe bike, trying to keep it somewhat old skool.

• 2 months later...

Well after a year, here it is. Overall, it was a pretty fun project and the '79 seemed to me to be a very nice machine to work on.

After this has sunk in a bit, it might be time to start looking for a nice clapped out Eldo to resurrect. :D

Picture212.jpg

Picture209.jpg