Next project- 1100 Cafe Racer

Guzzirider

The rearsets are Tarozzi, picked up on Ebay and the bat is down under just in front on the rear wheel. I made a box and hung it from the centerstand mounts. There is a tray mounted inbetween the upper frame rails, under the seat which holds the fuse block, diode board, flasher etc. Plenty of room for an ecu and relay strip!

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rearsets are Tarozzi, picked up on Ebay and the bat is down under just in front on the rear wheel. I made a box and hung it from the centerstand mounts. There is a tray mounted inbetween the upper frame rails, under the seat which holds the fuse block, diode board, flasher etc. Plenty of room for an ecu and relay strip!

Thanks...hey, I am doing a photo shoot in Albany sometime in the next month or so at SUNY and a college in Troy...any chance of hooking up so I can get a better ook at your bike?

Thanks...hey, I am doing a photo shoot in Albany sometime in the next month or so at SUNY and a college in Troy...any chance of hooking up so I can get a better ook at your bike?

Sure thing just PM me when you know the dates your going to be in town, i'm only about 25 min from Troy.

Hal

Guzzirider, lots of good ideas here

http://www.caferace.com/cafepix.html

Pierre, that's a good picture. An amusing story too, as it was a bike that was left at a shop and the shop owner decided to have some fun with it.

Biggest thing holding back some of those bikes pictured are those silly VHB29 square slide carbs. Toss a B10 or X09 cam in there, some 43 mm's and it'll run the pants off a stock Jackal. I know- I had a Jackal and there is NOTHING wrong with those bikes, but there's a lot of room for improvement on the older units.

...there's a lot of room for improvement on the older units...

I also want to do something like this. Cubes is easiest way to grunt & you can't get capacity up on rounhead motor cos of c/case opening/stud distances. I'd like to build a fast roundhead but it seems the easier way to go is use readymade late big motor.

KB :sun:

Pierre, that's a good picture. An amusing story too, as it was a bike that was left at a shop and the shop owner decided to have some fun with it.

Biggest thing holding back some of those bikes pictured are those silly VHB29 square slide carbs. Toss a B10 or X09 cam in there, some 43 mm's and it'll run the pants off a stock Jackal. I know- I had a Jackal and there is NOTHING wrong with those bikes, but there's a lot of room for improvement on the older units.

That's the beauty of using a Jackal motor- I don't need to throw a lot of money at it as she already makes a few more ponies (and I am sure more torque) over the most powerful Le Mans motor- the Mark IV / V.

Plan is to sort out the rolling chassis first then see how she rides. Hopefully the extreme weight loss will make her seem a bit more sprightly, although she was not exactly a slouch in standard form. If I am happy with the way she goes, then I will leave the motor- but I'm not ruling out some changes if I need to. At the very least I will get the ECU reflashed with an Ultimap download like I did on my V11, and get her set up on HTM's dyno.

Good news is the Tank Shop are able to fabricate the tank, seat units, panels and mudguards by early October. Maxton have confirmed they can convert the forks, and my Tarozzi rear sets should arrive today. In the meantime, I am going to start stripping the paint off the valve covers and polish them on the bench and start looking for some nice adjustable clip ons and headlight brackets. A mate has kindly agreed to give me the alloy alternator cover that he is currently using as an ash tray!

That EBAY bike that Doug posted looks good- the builder has obviously modded the swinging arm to allow wider rims and modern tyre fitment. My plan is to keep to the standard widths (140 rear, 110 front) but fit alloy rims, and at the same time increasing the rear from a 17inch to an 18inch to give it that classic Tonti handling and raise the rear of the bike.

Fun, fun fun

Guy :helmet:

Good news is the Tank Shop are able to fabricate the tank, seat units, panels and mudguards by early October.

Maybe you will have better luck because of where you are located...don't get me wrong, I am in no hurry and John seems like a great guy..but mine were scheduled to be fab'ed the week of May 28th...he says they are done now and I am waiting for him to call me and give me payment and shipping info.

FWIW

Looks very nice- but I wonder how many people will be brave enough to buy a weird French bike?

A similar sort of percentage as are brave enough to buy a weird (in the nicest possible way) Italian bike?

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like it will turn up a good one

A picture is more than a thousand words. Got any even at this stage.. :mg:

Nothing much to see- just work in progress. Tarozzi rearsets have arrived and I've ordered some Tarozzi high rise clip ons, which will hopefully help with the stretch over the long alloy tank.

Here is also a picture of the combined rev counter / speedo which I will be using.

Plenty of work to do yet,

Caferacer003.jpg

Caferacer001.jpg

buell_m2.jpg