Next project- 1100 Cafe Racer

Guzzirider

I would worry the sport motor would over power the convert tranny, or running gear. but I did it with a EV motor and if I can score a v11 motor and systems I have all the convert parts to build one.

If I go the easy way and use the Convert cam, it should calm the engine down a bit I guess. Isn't that similar to what Pete calls the lawnmower cam? :P

I have to admit I've been looking at photos of your bike many times (first at Wildguzzi a year ago IIRC when searching for Convert info) and what you have done is probably part of my inspiration. It looks damn good and I imagine it's the ultimate tourer (for wierdos like us anyway).

If I manage to buy a complete Convert in good shape I'll probably keep the engine as-is though, and just do some minor café racer mods.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update

Picked up my rebuilt wheels this afternoon from CWC- they have new Morad alloy rims which have been powder coated black, with stainless butted spokes. Rear now wears an 18 inch rim, and both are shod in brand new Sport Demons. Look beautiful.

Picked up the seat pad made by local guy Tony Archer- it is filled with gel and should be more comfy than it looks. He charged me £40 for that- great guy.

Maxton should have finished rebuilding the forks on Monday. Have quite a few finishing jobs to do but biggest job will be getting some custom made rear sets manufactured which should be done next month- on the road end of April hopefully!

Guy :helmet:

Caferacer034.jpg

If I go the easy way and use the Convert cam, it should calm the engine down a bit I guess. Isn't that similar to what Pete calls the lawnmower cam? :P

I have to admit I've been looking at photos of your bike many times (first at Wildguzzi a year ago IIRC when searching for Convert info) and what you have done is probably part of my inspiration. It looks damn good and I imagine it's the ultimate tourer (for wierdos like us anyway).

If I manage to buy a complete Convert in good shape I'll probably keep the engine as-is though, and just do some minor café racer mods.

since then I have the EV cam modified with a hex hole to run the drive key to the pump. done on an EDM machine, it can carve a hex into the end of the cam.. I just put the EV cam back in and hope to button up in the next couple weeks.

FYI, the EV cam is about 4mm longer than the vert cam.. if you tighten down the timing cover on it you'll bust a hole thru the cover. I used a dremmel tool to hack it down to size.

IMG_1765.jpg

• 1 month later...

Amen! Sooo sweet.... Can't wait till I get my hands on my stuff from the Tank Shop!

Grats, Guy. One bella machina :rolleyes:-_-

Søren

• 3 months later...

Well the Jackal cafe racer has been "nearly ready" for a long time now! I started this thread over two years ago but am more or less there now. Bike is at Bruce Rawsthorne's down near Silverstone having a few finishing jobs done including the fabrication of some rear sets. Bruce has also straightened the rear frame rails which has improved the lines and everything now blends in better. When I get her back I will just need to wire in the Motogadget instruments and the Rizoma indicators, get a fresh MOT then she will be ready to ride just in time for winter :rolleyes:

I'm still going to be able to use the Jackal's luggage rack (am taking an angle grinder to it to make it smaller then will powder coat black) so hopefully with the 26 litre tank and reasonably comfy (for a cafe racer) riding position, she will be able to tour as well as scratch.

On the subject of scratching, I fancy taking her for a shakedown track day at Cadwell in the Spring- anyone else fancy joining me?

Guys1.jpg

Very nice! :wub:

Are you going to fit a front mudguard and side covers?

Hope you don't mind two small critical notes.... the (Bosch?)headlight is too big for my taste and I would have fitted the headlight mounts the other way around. I think it would give cleaner lines.

Hi Jaap.

Yes front mudguard is now fitted- and Bruce is making me some nice fittings for the V7 Sport type triangular side panels.

Headlamp brackets have been modified since the pic below was taken- the lamp should hopefully blend in better now, and be much closer to the forks. I will also adjust the bars- they are set very high at the moment to help me move the bike about.

Will of course post some pictures of the finished bike.

Cheers

Guy :helmet:

Guys2.jpg