"04 Cafe Sport

GuzziMoto

Anybody have any comments, pro or con, about a '04 Cafe Sport? I'm thinking of buying one and I didn't know if it had any special issues to look out for. Any recalls? Does it use the same crappy relays as the earlier bikes?

Anybody have any comments, pro or con, about a '04 Cafe Sport? I'm thinking of buying one and I didn't know if it had any special issues to look out for. Any recalls? Does it use the same crappy relays as the earlier bikes?

Beautiful bike, Ohlins suspension, fear not! Lol If the price seems reasonable to you buy it. Relays are a couple bucks at the most. The '04's are a pretty well sorted out bike I think....at least I havent heard much bad in here about them.

I have one. A Coppa Italia. Great bike! I only have 7K miles on it but no problems so far (except that the high beam light stopped working). I really like this bike. One of my all time favorites.

What have you owned previously?

Some familiar issues that can come up on both the early and late bikes are tank suck (tipover valve creates a vacuum seal as fuel leaves fuel tank, in severe cases damaging finish), headlight shroud can break off inside reflector and rattle around 'til noticed, scarring reflector, speedo cable breakage (at the tight bend under the throttle linkage). and the oil in the sump can move backwards enough to uncover the pickup, allowing the oil system to starve (run low on oil, ever had the oil pressure warning light come on?) Late V11s can suffer from poor assembly (not much lube used, or none at all, on bearings and splines), fuel tanks that ride on the sidecovers, damaging them, and the crossover on the exhaust system (the one at the front, just behind the front wheel) moves around enough to create a leak.

I have an '04, and so far none of the above have troubled me, except for the headlight shroud, which might be due to the very rough roads hereabouts.(Marz suspension on mine) and the tank suck, which was a noticable 'whoosh' when opening filler cap. Sump baffle, inspection and lube, look for a smooth-running speedo (I took a couple of degrees out of mine, at the bend over the tranny, what I felt the throttle would allow, and it has held up so far), and you should be all set. :bier:

Currently I have a Griso and a Suzuki Super Moto(DRZ 400 SM). My wife owns a V11 Sport and it has been very reliable except the relays. I've loved Guzzi's ever since I rode a buddies Daytona back in the early 90's.

Hey GM, I have 7000 miles on my '04 Nero Corsa, almost the same bike. Have had, in order, the sidestand safety switch worked intermittantly, speedo cable break and my oil light comes on alot at take off through 2nd gear. Cleaned the switch real good and now it's perfect. Replaced the speedo cable with the newer one they changed to when the first style was found to have too sharp a bend just above the entry into trans, it's fixed. The oil light is the result of enjoying the feeling of a really fun motorcycle with fast take off's, to be solved with a windage plate soon enough. The Ohlins is why you do want the Cafe. Buy it, you will not be dissappointed, even if you pay "too much", Fun Trumps Money, Checkmate... :race::mg::wub: Ride on! S.H.

guzzi_16.jpg

Thanks all. I have no doubt I would like the bike. My only concerns/Questions are what issues can I expect. For instance the aforementioned relays or the recall we have yet to have done to the transmission on my wifes '00 Sport. Thanks for the info. The only question left is what will the price be. As long as it's not too high I expect to buy it. One cannot have too many Guzzi's.

I have had my '04 Sport since December '05, purchased new as a leftover. Problems and outcome so far:

-Tank suck cured with tie wrapping the tipover valve upright.

-Oil level indication on dipstick was incorrect and low. Filling with amount of oil specified by manual, showed the correct mark to be about .8" higher than the mark on the dipstick. Very detailed analysis by several authorities backed this up. Sloppage plate by Pete Roper a good investment as extra insurance, in my opinion, but be sure to get the level right.

-I am almost finished with an oil pressure guage adaptation.

-Speedo cable broke early (130 miles). Fixed by replacing with new cable developed to cure this manufacturing defect: 01760481 is the new cable for Cafe Sport, and Ballabio.

01760492 is the new cable for Lemans,Nero Corsa and Rosso Corsa. There is a Moto Guzzi service bulletin on this.

-Low fuel reserve light failed early (100 miles). Thermistor sensor in fuel tank replaced under warrantee.

-Plastic seat base contacted battery, transferring rider weight to battery, causing the original to leak acid. Battery replaced by dealer under warrantee, but I removed the interference with a Dremel tool and filled the hole with silicon rubber. I purchasing the Yuasa version, very important to get the factory prepared alternative. Available from Bombardier.

-Found position of foot pegs too uncomfortable. Designed a forward foot position set for my bike, since then, about 10 others have purchased these from me. If interested, see the "forward foot position" thread.

Now I can say I love this bike!

I also have the Coppa Italia version of the 2004 Cafe Sport.

Love it. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

About 6k miles on the clock. In the last 2,000 miles I put on the Ti pipes/chip, Mistral cross-over and a centerstand (the last two were added over this past weekend). The baby growls like you wouldn't believe!

I needed the Pete Roper Sloppage sheet due to the oil starvation issue -- easy peezie, and highly recommended.

No relays/electrical gremlins yet, and I have been through some serious rain storms.

Buy. Ride, smile - repeat!

:bike:

:race:

:helmet:

• 3 weeks later...

I have had my '04 Sport since December '05, purchased new as a leftover. Problems and outcome so far:

-Tank suck cured with tie wrapping the tipover valve upright.

-Oil level indication on dipstick was incorrect and low. Filling with amount of oil specified by manual, showed the correct mark to be about .8" higher than the mark on the dipstick. Very detailed analysis by several authorities backed this up. Sloppage plate by Pete Roper a good investment as extra insurance, in my opinion, but be sure to get the level right.

-I am almost finished with an oil pressure guage adaptation.

-Speedo cable broke early (130 miles). Fixed by replacing with new cable developed to cure this manufacturing defect: 01760481 is the new cable for Cafe Sport, and Ballabio.

01760492 is the new cable for Lemans,Nero Corsa and Rosso Corsa. There is a Moto Guzzi service bulletin on this.

-Low fuel reserve light failed early (100 miles). Thermistor sensor in fuel tank replaced under warrantee.

-Plastic seat base contacted battery, transferring rider weight to battery, causing the original to leak acid. Battery replaced by dealer under warrantee, but I removed the interference with a Dremel tool and filled the hole with silicon rubber. I purchasing the Yuasa version, very important to get the factory prepared alternative. Available from Bombardier.

-Found position of foot pegs too uncomfortable. Designed a forward foot position set for my bike, since then, about 10 others have purchased these from me. If interested, see the "forward foot position" thread.

Now I can say I love this bike!

Cafe sport 2004

Ohlins deserve the extra money 100%

Carbon parts .....nice touch....good quality.

Problems so far:

Leak front crossover

Broken speedo cable twice (now I have the new one... Let"s see..)

I LOVE THE BIKE :D

Oil level indication on dipstick was incorrect and low. Filling with amount of oil specified by manual, showed the correct mark to be about .8" higher than the mark on the dipstick.

WHAT IS THAT?? NEVER HEARD OF IT!!!!!!! I know that the dipstick shows max about 3 lt in the sump,

and the manual says 3.5 lt, but usually the dipstick is right, not the manual in Guzzi tradition.

IF YOU HAVE ANY SPECIAL INFO, ANSWER BECAUSE IT IS VERY............ .IMPORTANT!!!!!!

I don" t want to ride with 1/2 lt less in my sump.

IS THERE A GUZZI BULLETIN ABOUT THIS MATTER?????

Cafe sport 2004

Ohlins deserve the extra money 100%

Carbon parts .....nice touch....good quality.

Problems so far:

Leak front crossover

Broken speedo cable twice (now I have the new one... Let"s see..)

I LOVE THE BIKE :D

Oil level indication on dipstick was incorrect and low. Filling with amount of oil specified by manual, showed the correct mark to be about .8" higher than the mark on the dipstick.

WHAT IS THAT?? NEVER HEARD OF IT!!!!!!! I know that the dipstick shows max about 3 lt in the sump,

and the manual says 3.5 lt, but usually the dipstick is right, not the manual in Guzzi tradition.

IF YOU HAVE ANY SPECIAL INFO, ANSWER BECAUSE IT IS VERY............ .IMPORTANT!!!!!!

I don" t want to ride with 1/2 lt less in my sump.

IS THERE A GUZZI BULLETIN ABOUT THIS MATTER?????

Yes, this is very important!

See the thread "Roper plates and oil level", just a few threads below on this same forum. :!:

I refill with 4 US Quarts (including new filter)